1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anthony Gallo speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by empirix, Apr 19, 2005.

1. empirix

empirix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking for a "lifestyle" 5.1 system, must be pleasing to the eye, small and obviously perform well.

Set my heart on the Gallo micros, but many people say these really aren't upto the job. Remember reading a post where a guy had a Due for the Centre, 2 Adivas for the front L/R and a pair of micros for the Rears.

Room is 18'6" x 13'2", fairly big but I'm rarely going to want to "crank it up" !!

And the Gallo sub, love the aesthetics ... how well does it work ?

Finally, where do I go out buying these at the cheapest possible price ?

Thanks in advance.

2. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

If you are localish, you could call me to make an appointment for a listen!!!

We have a Gallo room.

Regards

3. arielshiran

arielshiran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Energy Take SAT speakers-look good and sound great, MS Genie and Gallo's A'divas. I am sure all of them will please your ears much better than the micros but the Energys are the best-it's worth looking for them.
    Try to find a distributor through: www.energy-speakers.com
    It's a candaian company but have a big distribution network in UK and Europe.
    Good luck.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    empirix

The only 'drawback' with using the Anthony Gallo Micro's in a 'Lifestyle' system is they really need a decent amplifier to make them work; these are not 'Lifestyle' loudspeakers!

For many folk a 5:1 system using all Micro's + the MPS150 (or TR1/TR2) sub will be a revelation - partner them with a mid range AV Receiver and you'll not be disappointed; partner them with an underpowered super slim line 'lifestyle' all-in-one and your likely to wonder why you bothered.

Yes you can open out the sound if you mix and match using A' Diva and Due - heck go all the way and throw in a pair or REF3's if you really want high quality sound :)

So keep in mind Source > Processing/Amplification > Loudspeakers is the best system hierarchy - don't skimp on the first two and you'll be fine.

Best regards

Joe

5. ScottG

ScottG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couldn't agree more, AG are serious speakers, I have 7 X AG Dues, supported by a Velodyne CHT15 Sub, all powered by a Denon 3805 Amp, they sound fantastic, certainly not short on presence. Cant really recommend highly enough.

Scott

6. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    How do AG Micro with TR-1 stand against Kef KHT2005.2 system?

7. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

Don't even bother with the Kef's, we had a Kef room setup and it was quite disappointing.

8. Stoatman

Stoatman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    The gallos murder the kefs in my opinion too. I changed from the kefs to the micros for all fronts and the difference was marked. However many people have suggested swapping the gallo sub for something else. I'm not much of an expert but thats what ive read here. Maybe a MJ acoustics ref 100 or a velodyne. ? I have a small room and i have a ref 50, and it works well for me. Need to upgrade my amp though soon.

9. Tommy139

Tommy139

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have just purchased 5 x AG Micro's to replace my TannoyFX5.1, the sub I will be using with the micro's is a Velodyne CHT-10R (Excellent sub :smashin: ), tonight is the night when it will be set up so I am really looking forward to hearing the end result.

When it is set up I will give it a listen and post some initial thoughts for you.

10. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10

In our Gallo demo room we have micro's, A'Diva's and Due's but we use an MJ Ref100 and a Velodyne SPL1000 mkII :thumbsup: I do like the Gallo sub, but I think you can get an equivalent sub for less, or a better sub for the same money or a little more.

Thanks my opinion anyway.

11. PC_112

PC_112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Heyes, would a package with just 5 micros and the TR-1 sub still be much better than Kef 2005.2?

12. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

Gallo's -
    £1050 for black, white or silver
    £1175 for stainless steal, gloss black, red, yellow, blue and bronze

Kef's 2005.2 -
    £799

And still the Gallo's would be better.

Regards

13. mugsy

mugsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi Hayes,

I bought a Denon 3805/Gallo A'Diva/MJ Ref 200 combination from you last year which I'm more than happy with :thumbsup:

I'm looking to add another speaker to go to 6.1. The simplest option would be another A'Diva for the rear centre but I'm considering either getting a Due for the front centre (then moving the current A'Diva to the rear centre) or waiting for the A'Diva Ti to come out and use one of those as the front centre.

It's the A'Diva Ti I'm most interested in - do you have any information about this ie when it's out, price and how it will differ to the current A'Diva?

It's listed as a product on the US Gallo site but unfortunately there is no more information :confused:

Many thanks - Marcus

14. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin' Mugsy,

The UK distributors of Anthony Gallo appologised to me this morning when I enquired about the Ti's, as it seems that Gallo get very excited about new products and splash their website with an image and a name but no other info, then expect no-one to enquire about them!!! All the distributors know is that the Ti versions have a cone made of a Titanium compound. The colour of the speakers haven't even been finalised, at the moment it COULD be black, white and silver with later additions of Gloss black, Stainless steel and Titanium finishes.

Price wise they haven't a clue! They should be available in 2-3 months.

I hope this helps.

15. Lester

Lester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Just a quick note for Tommy139 above....

Be prepared for a shock when you first set-up your Micros....they're quite disappointing out of the box. Gulp ! :eek:

It takes a good 50-100 hrs for them to run in. So don't be disheartened if they're not what you were expecting. Stick with 'em...

16. Tommy139

Tommy139

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks Lester... :thumbsup:

A little patience will be required by the sounds of it. :boring:

17. mugsy

mugsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks for making the enquiries on the Ti's Hayes - very much appreciated :smashin:

Now, can I wait 3 months! :rolleyes:

18. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    I have been using a Gallo setup for a while now... Though I am about to change up to a full front 3 of Dues and rears of Divas.. thereby relegating the micros to the classifieds :)

I love these speakers.. small good looking and great sound.. but they do need running in initially.

I partner them with a Velo CHT-10R and it seems to work very well... all powered from a Roksan Caspian power amp :)

Enjoy

Matt

19. mugsy

mugsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Matt, would you say the Due's are significantly better than the Micro's?

Generally speaking the A'Diva's are known to give a slightly fuller sound than the Micro's so a jump from A'Diva to Due wouldn't be as significant as a Micro to a Due but i'm wondering if the Due is worth the 2x asking price of an A'Diva.

Let me know what you think.

Many thanks,
    Marcus

20. Tommy139

Tommy139

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well they are in and first impressions are excellent, definately an improvement.

The running in period started but had to come to an abrupt end as the missus wanted to watch some sad program, probably a rerun of one of the soaps.. :boring: ...

21. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    So I should hope as they cost considerably more than your previous Tannoy FX1 setup

22. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Hello all

PC112 - for a lot of potential customers considering a KHT2005.2 system vs. a Micro/TR1 system the additional cost of the Anthony Gallo system has to be brought into the equation and you cant really dismiss the KEF's outright; they work for an awful lot of folk.

With a decent AV Receiver and the additional budget I'd have the Micro/TR1 combination every time - though that's not financially feasible for every system.

Mugsy - the Due works well as a centre channel; though you'll find you need to raise the 'level matched' settings on your AV Receiver a notch or two to ensure it produces a 'dynamic' match to the rest of the set-up.

A full compliment of Due in a 5:1 system (or maybe just the front three) produces a wider more detailed sound stage than using all A' Diva - though again what comes before the loudspeakers plays a big part in ensuring your getting the most out of Micro's, A'Divas or Due's.

Tommy139 - heed Lester's advice well! 24/7 playback at 'moderate' volume levels for a few days works wonders!!!

Best regards

Joe

23. Tommy139

Tommy139

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks to Joe and Lester.... :thumbsup:

The running in period will start tomorrow....