1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anthony Gallo speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Gareth W, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Gareth W

Gareth W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Anyone got views on the Anthony Gallo range for 6.1 A/V use??

Looking at a set of speakers to link into my Denon 3801 set up for 6.1.

Would be conidering the Adeva as front speakers/centre and the Micros as rear and side speakers. Will be also using my M&K VX100 sub.

cheers,
    Gareth.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Gallos are good but there are better for the price if not the style, Ideally you need to demo them, And these take a huge amount of running in to sound there best, Positively nasty out of the box but just keep getting better up to 100 hours of use

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There are many people with opinions on Gallo speakers both postive and negative and if you use the search facility you will find a large number of threads.

My own opinion is that I am not too keen as I believe them to be too dependant on the partnering electronics. I have heard them sound quite good with Myryad amplification but very poor with TAG and Linn amps.

Most people will always advise others to listen to any speakers before purchasing and I believe that in view of the diversity of opinions on the Gallo balls it is even more important.

A recent thread covering the same topic is here

4. paulfd

paulfd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, running 3 A'Divas for the fronts, 2 Mission M7DS for sides and 2 Micros for the rears, driven from a Denon 3802. Very happy with the sound.

Just to reiterate the previous comments, go listen to them first and make sure that what you listen to has been run in. They are so bad straight from the box but just keep on improving the longer you have them!

5. perrdl

perrdl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with the above comments.

I've had my Gallo's set-up for over a year now, and they still amaze me with the sound that they produce. I have them hooked up to a denon receiver too!!

You have to demo them though, because they are not to everybody's taste. And as stated above they need a lot of running in, mine took about 3 months to really sound their best!

Also they can be quite tricky to set-up and I too have heard them sound bad when connected to good kit!!!

6. Gareth W

Gareth W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Thanks for the comments.

The ones I've heard so far were well run in and worked very well considering the limits of their size.

Need to hear more though.....any other "lifestyle" recommendations??

Cheers.

7. perrdl

perrdl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Velodyne Deco speakers are supposed to be very good, however I have never heard them.

Also the JMLabs Sib and Cub package is well worth a listen too, the speakers are quite a bit bigger than the Gallo's, but you can pick them up quite cheap now.

Others to look at would include the B&W VM1's and the Kef Eggs.

Best thing as always would be to demo any speaker before buying them, as they all have their strengths and weaknesses

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Add Infinity Oreus and KEf 5005 to that list as well as BOSE AM15 (trust me demo them) perhaps also Canton CD2.22 or 4.44 as well Bit different but very good.

9. Gareth W

Gareth W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Right more homework!!:lesson:

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Get yourself down to Bristol 20th to 22nd Feb for the Hifi Show where you can probably listen to most on your short list at the same time.

11. Mr Bimmer

Mr Bimmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have 2 Gallo nucleus rears with definitive technology front and centre, BK XLS2000 sub, with a Pioneer ax5i amp.

The sound is excellent from the gallo's when used as rears but I wouldn't fancy having them up front. That's mainly because I listen to more music than movies.

I tried Kef eggs and didn't like them at all. Far too 'thin'

12. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Gallos are good for music.

13. perrdl

perrdl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I agree!!!!

14. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently sold my AG NM 5.1 setup and I must admit I was very, very pleased with their performance. Don't let anyone tell you they're not good for music, they completely murdered my old B&W 601's in comparison. I wouldn't go for the AG sub though, I upgraded to a Velodyne SPL1000 and this brought even more out of the delightful little balls. On reflection the AG sub is I think a little overpriced for the performance, the AG wallflower stands and other accessories are also well overpriced but I suppose they've got you over a barrel with them. (just re-read your initial post and you already have a better sub - that's good).

So all in all the Gallos are great little speakers, have extremely high WAF and offer a very good upgrade path with the A'Divas and Dues.

You might also consider Blueroom Minipods - they're lovely IMO, if not quite as discrete as the Gallo's.

15. Gareth W

Gareth W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62

Thanks for that, very useful post :clap:

16. perrdl

perrdl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I love my Gallo Sub, however you are right it's quite a way behind the small Velodyne SPL's, however the velodyne's are a lot more expensive. I do find it to be a very musical sub, however it may lack some of the grunt of the Velodyne's

I have just seen this Gallo Sub on ebay if you are interested, it's got a very low price at the moment. It's not mine before you ask!!! :laugh:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3072458668&category=3276

17. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    And many other subs at around that price too as it seems to offer poor value for money. In a review in Audiorevolution here the sub was described as follows :-

"The MPS-150 subwoofer is somewhat limited in its capabilities. I found the MPS-150 to be lacking when used as a true subwoofer. It is better used to supply lower mid-bass and reach slightly into the bass region. In the lowest octaves, the unit struggles, but if you move it up a bit, it nicely extends the frequency range of the Dues. If aesthetics are not a concern for the subwoofer, I would experiment with a few other subwoofers."

18. perrdl

perrdl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What sub would you recommend then Ian J?

I've seen quite a mixed bag of reviews for the sub, and I agree it does not have the lower depth of some similar priced sub's, but musically it's excellent. And in my small/medium sized room it provides more than enough grunt for action films.

It may be a little overpriced, but if that one on ebay could be won for about £300 it would be a bargain, and I doubt you would find a sub at that sort of price that would compliment the gallo's in the way that the MPS-150 does.

19. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    At the Gallo pricepoint of £500 I would think that a B&W AS675 would be hard to beat in the compact range or even the new more powerful BKE sub when they start producing them again.

20. Gareth W

Gareth W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Thanks guys but I'm not interested in the Gallo sub as i have an M&K VX100 that I am going to keep...:smoke: