1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anthony Gallo Shielding

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by perrdl, Nov 18, 2002.

1. perrdl

perrdl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took a delivery this weekend of my new Anthony Gallo speakers, and very nice they are too.

I was aware that the Stainless Steel Balls had a shielding problem, but was led to believe on these forums that it was not really that bad, however if I place the ball within about a foot of my screen, there is a HUGE shielding problem. At first I was a little disappointed, but after about 30 mins of trying I managed to find that if I placed the ball near the back of my TV, and played around with the angle, this seemed to rectify the problem.

I am still a bit scared of leaving it there though in case this causes damage to my TV set. And also there is now about 4 inches of surface in front of the ball, which was advised against.

I just wondered if anybody had any suggestions on how to protect my TV from damage.

I have considered using one of the small stands, but feel that this will still lead to damage, as the shielding is that bad. My only other option would be to mount them on the wall behind the TV, but this would leave an exposed cable, which I am not too keen on. I was thinking that there may be a sheet of metal or something that I may be able to place on the TV that would isolate the problem. Any Ideas?????

I do not blame Anthony Gallo for this, as I was made aware of the problem before I made my purchase. My other half insisted that Stainless Steel ones, were the only one's that she liked though.

2. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get in touch with Uncle Eric - he might have some good advice on what to do with these unsheilded speakers.

3. ramiro

ramiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also worried about that as i have an order going on at the mo for SS ones. I wonder if is there any kind of material that one could put between the ball and the TV top.

4. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,
    The problem seems to effect some TV's, others less and some not at all. Also, as mentioned, the slightest change of angle with the speaker seems to correct the problem if it should occur.
    I think the use of a metal micro mount is wise if the stainless steel speaker is to be mounted on top of a TV. This lifts the speaker further from the TV whilst at the same time placing a metal plate between the speaker and the TV thus helping to further eliminate the problem.

Attached Files:

5. perrdl

perrdl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not sure that the Metal Micro Mount will help all that much, as the problem seems to effect the TV if the ball is placed within about a foot of the screen.

This has happened to both my Sony TV and my Philips TV, so it could be a problem that will effect most TV's.

I found it hard at first to correct this problem at all. I had read that the slightest change of angle would sort this out, but there was no way of getting it anywhere near the TV in the first place, in an attempt to try this out.

I found the best way was to start with the ball behind the TV and place it on top of the TV, right at the back. This is the only way around this that I found. Even though this does leave a 3 - 4 inch gap between the ball and the edge of the TV, which is advised against, as it will distort the sound.

I think as you say a sheet of metal on top of the TV will help, even though you will still need to lift the speaker up a bit, and therefore the Metal Micro Mount could be used, but only if placed right at the back of the TV, and even then I think that you could be unlucky and still have a distortion of the picture.

Uncle Eric, are these stands sold only in pairs, or can you get them on their own? I may give it a try and let people know if this fixes the problem.

6. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are sold in singles priced at £22.50.
    I think the micro mount (above) could well make a difference as the Gallo balls lowest (nearest) point is where the metal plate is.
    I have the opposite experience from you in that I've tried the stainless with 3 TV's. A Toshiba, Phillps and Sony. I had a slight problem with the Phillips but not the Sony and Toshiba. Go figure??? The stainless steel versions also seem to be the most poplular. No complaints from the buyers of these and most folks have conventional TV's.

7. sinister_stu

sinister_stu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think that the stand will provide any magnetic shielding, what material is it made of? The only advantage is that it raises the speaker up a little, which will reduce the interference.

8. siluro

siluro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would say the mount would most deffinatly help the problem as, you`ve got like a 3/4mm steel base and the bracket which holds the gallo just over a inch from the base, given the size of thier magnats and the fact its already cased in steel, it should be fine.

I just tryed it with a phillips and theres no sign of discolouration or distortion!

cheers
    lee

9. perrdl

perrdl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that siluro, I think I am going to get one.

I'm sure that it will help as it will eliminate the problem of having 3 - 4 inches of flat surface in front of the speaker. I am pretty sure it will still have to be placed at the back of the TV though!

10. sinister_stu

sinister_stu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The steel would have to be a particular kind of steel for it to provide any magnetic shielding. I think that it has to have high permeability. Can't remember off hand though.

Anyone care to elaborate?

11. tincan

tincan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Toshiba strata and also have the stainless steel micros. When I first ordered the micros my plan was to mount the centre on top of the TV but found that it played to much havoc with the picture, placed it under the TV (underneath the sets own speakers) and no have problems what so ever.

12. grantj

grantj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does this problem only affect CRT's, or does it play havock with Rear Projection sets as well ?

13. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, there are only a handful of rear projection sets that aren't CRT based. Secondly, as mentioned the problem does not quite play "havoc" at all. Some not all TV's are affected by the stainless steel versions as (confusingly but as stated in past threads) these are made from Aluminium and not steel (which has excellent sheilding properties) like the other models. Regarding the stainless models, a slight change in position often cures the problem anyway.

14. tincan

tincan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eric I wasn't saying that the micros cause problems with all TV’s as I can only speak from my own experience. When I said it played "havoc" I wasn’t joking. After trying my centre on top of the TV and seeing the effect it had on the picture I removed it as soon as possible, I found it took at least three to four minutes for the screen to return to it's normal state. As you say though this probably not the same on all TV's.

P.S. Thanks for the advice regarding what cable to use with the Gallo's. Now have the R/L/C wired with QED Silver anniversary and the rears with Gale XL315 (to expensive to do the rears with QED, £100 just for one speaker!) Now they have had a little running in they sound superb. Had to try the Sub in a few different positions but now think it's in it's best location, corner of my living room. It makes a vast improvement on the overall sound of the micros when this is positioned correctly

15. perrdl

perrdl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took delivery of the Metal Micro Mount yesterday, and got a chance to try it out last night.

The shielding on the speaker seems to effect the TV just as much as it did before, however it gives me the ability to place the ball near the back of the TV set, and thus fixes the problem of having a 3 - 4, inch gap in front of the speaker.

As I say, I have tried this with two TV's and the problem is easily fixed on both of them if the ball is placed towards the back of the TV set, and the Micro Stand allows you to do this without compromising performance.

This problem should not put people of buying these ball's, as it is a very small price to pay for such a great AV component.

16. grantj

grantj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone with a rear projection set care to comment?

I'm contemplating getting a full set of silver balls, but I cannot 'move the centre speaker 'to the back of the set', as the top is only just deep enough to accomodate a speaker alone.
    (Projection sets being so much slimmer than their overweight crt counterparts).

Thought I'd go with the silver, as I plan to purchase a plasma in the future, and these would complement nicely.

17. Steve Thornes

Steve Thornes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a set of stainless steel Gallo balls with one on the top of my rear projection tv with no problems at all. I would imagine the main gubbins of my Toshiba rptv is at the bottom of the tv so that might contribute to the fact that I don't have a problem.
    I did try on a conventional Sony tv in another room again without problems. Maybe its just some tv's?

18. grantj

grantj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that.
    Yes I suspect it's something to do with the electronic gun in CRT's,
    The guns in RP's are some way from the screen, and just blast out light in any case.

19. perrdl

perrdl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve.

Out of interest, what model Sony TV did you try the ball's with?