Anthony Gallo Nucleus Micro (not Ti)

Grayman

Im looking at a three speaker pack of AG Nucleus Micros from hifibitz: *GREAT DEAL* Anthony Gallo Nucleus Micro - 3 Speaker AV Pack, these would replace my current rears and centre speaker, and be part of a 5.1 of Mission E34 floorstanders and a Hramna kardon subwoofer.

I have never heard AG micro speakers before and want to find out whether they are good quality and would work well as additions to a 5.1 surround system, providing good strong performance.

Why I want these instead of the Ti models is the frequency response. They'll stand on wall mounted shelves and the Non Ti model has a frequency response of 80Hz whereas the Ti model only has a response from 120Hz when on a shelf, and ideally I want to set my crossover down to 80Hz and take advatage of the lower FR.

So, anyone have them? are they powerful and full sounding like the reviews seem to think? can one small speaker really be as good as something like a Mordaunt Short alumni speaker with two drivers and a tweater? Lounge is about 19 foot by 11 foot, so not massive but quite big.

Let me know what you think, and also how the price of the three pack in the link looks.

Cheers
Graham

jon smith

I've been a gallo owner for 6 years [non Ti micro, Ti micro and then Ti A'Diva]. The specs are probably a tad misleading as the Ti micro definitely has better frequency response than the older version.

I love them, but you definitely need a sub with the micros. You could probably get away without a sub with the a'divas.

Grayman

Thanks, I have a sub so hopefully they would work quite well, with regards Micro vs Micro Ti, how much better are the Ti?

Stoatman

I also have the normal Gallo micros all round , personally I would recommend a cross-over approaching 100HZ.

They are high quality speakers and the clarity / Treble is excellent.

jon smith

Thanks, I have a sub so hopefully they would work quite well, with regards Micro vs Micro Ti, how much better are the Ti?

I thought the Ti versions were a significant improvement - they're a little more expensive at £150 per speaker but I think that's well worth it.

JimBob1971

How do people think the TIs (non Diva, and Diva) compare to , say, the Monitor audio Radius 90/180s?

Last edited:

Maxamus

How do people think the TIs (non Diva, and Diva) compare to , say, the Monitor audio Radius 90/180s?

I have 3x Micro's. I've set the crossover at 80hz.
They certainly are quality speakers. Some rate them better than or on a par with Kef 3005's.

I've got 1 as my center and 2 as my rears. They do pack a punch. Treble and clarity is pristine.

I got the flower stands which are brilliant aswell :thumbsup:
Heres some pics to put them into perspective:

Center resting on TV stand:
dscf1571yc1.jpg

Rears:
11990071au0.jpg

On Flower Stands:
82987619zl7.jpg

Close Up:
67391385oe1.jpg

I've got a BK Gemini sub and it all ties in nicely.
I've heard the Monitor Audio's and they didnt sound as good as the Gallo's

Last edited:

JimBob1971

Hmmm. I thought the Monitor Audios were generally better thought of than the satellites on the 3005se system? Did you hear the new HD version, or the older ones?

I spoke to a dealer yesterday who appears on the Gallo site and asked him if the had the A'Diva TIs. He said they no longer carry them as the Gallos never win in a straight demo. He advised me to go for the Monitor Audios hence my question.

I think I'll obviously have to get a side by side demo, which may be harder than it sounds.

Cheers

Stoatman

To be fair the Monitor audio speakers are massive compared to the Gallo speakers, so I dont think it is a fair comparison. THe main reason for the Gallos in my opinion is their discreteness. If you are moving on to the R90 then this is a completely different kind of speaker and there are many others to chose from at that size. There are not many speakers that sound like the Gallos at there size point however.

JimBob1971

Thanks for the reply. I agree there is quite a size difference between the 90HDs and the A'Divas. However, I was receiving mixed signals - Some folk said the A'Divas actually sounded better than the 90s, other saying the opposite, so I thought I'd double check.

The main reason i'm considering the AGs i their size, but given the 90s aren't too much bigger then I'd probably go MA if the sound is noticeably better.

Anyway, didn't want to hijack this thread so started another.

Cheers!

Maxamus

Hmmm. I thought the Monitor Audios were generally better thought of than the satellites on the 3005se system? Did you hear the new HD version, or the older ones?

I heard the old ones.

If your anywhere near York then there is a shop which has both the AG's and the MA's and can do a demo. I've heard the R90HD's since and to be honest i wasn't that impressed.

The MA's are nearly twice the size of the Gallo's aswell (even if that is still considered compact).

But, as always, it depends on your whole setup. Its a subjective thing aswell as what sounds good to others might not sound that good to you.

JimBob1971

If your anywhere near York then there is a shop which has both the AG's and the MA's and can do a demo. I've heard the R90HD's since and to be honest i wasn't that impressed.
Nowhere near York I'm afraid. I'm having something of a job finding somewhere to demo them in London frankly.

Grayman

Thanks for the ongoing recommendations, think I may go with Micro Ti's for L/C/R, not going to bother with rears for now, I assume Ill need a sub with these so would go with something very compact, possibly the Gemini as mentioned above.

Ill be standing them on a TV stand, so they'd be quite close together (stand about 110cm wide) but im hoping their small size will eman the sound wont get too muddy.

Grayman

Found a really nice sub Audio Pro- Sound of Scandinavia

Very compact and covered in black leather which will match our sofas.

I recon 3 Micro Ti's and the Audio Pro Mondial Sub 1 would make a very nice compact system that will blend into the background nicely, and hopefully still give a decent movie performance connected to my AX763 amp (better than an all-in-one anyway).

That comes in uder £700 which is very good cost wise too.

One thing with the Micro Ti's, is they have a very low power handling capability (50 watts) when used as full range, I assume as id use a sub and set the crossover at about 100Hz they'd be okay handling the 75W per channel of the Yam?

McFaber

I assume as id use a sub and set the crossover at about 100Hz they'd be okay handling the 75W per channel of the Yam?

The Micro Ti's are rated at 60W full-range(large) & 120W with a crossover(small).
I'm using a pair of 125W monobloc amplifiers for my Micro Ti's(rears), so you'll be fine with 75W.:thumbsup:

Grayman

Cheers Manxstar, think im pretty much decided on the Nucleus Micro Ti's, considered the Adiva Ti's but the only major difference looks to be that the Adivas produce more base and can therefore be used without a sub if desired, but as Ill be using a subwoofer as well I dont really need them to be able to produce more base, the 120Hz the Micro Ti's are capable of producing will be fine and Ill set my amp crossover to that.

Ill try and get over to Kent home cinema, they have a good range of AG speakers so I can compare them against some Kef's and the B&W M-1, but given the look and size of the Micro's I think they win on that front anyway.

macfan

Standard Member
Hi, I am now having Micro as my rear and center and I found that the sound coming from the amp seems to be a bit weak. Do you have any recommendation on the amp?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom