1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anthony Gallo 5 x Micro Nucleus with 1 x A'Diva center

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by flexiondotorg, Nov 26, 2004.

1. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

I have opted for the Anthony Gallo Micro Nucleus satelites for my home cinema setup. This is a trade off between performance and keeping my girlfriend happy, although I am installing them ina small front room so they should fill it just fine based on the auditions I have done with them. I read the following on the Anthony Gallo website...

A'Diva shares a version of Anthony Gallo's acclaimed 3" drive unit ( as used in the Nucleus Micro and Dué ) and can be mixed and matched with other Gallo speakers in a home cinema set-up. The A'Diva for example, makes a perfect centre channel speaker in a Nucleus Micro 5.1 system.

Has anyone tried this? If so, does the A'Diva work well as a center or does it over power the Micro satelites?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have heard various combinations of Gallo speakers and the A'Diva as a centre does seem to match the Micros quite well. It won't over power the smaller speakers as long as the levels are carefully matched.

3. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the info.

I have only heard the Micro with the MPS 150 sub, any idea how the TR1 sub might perform. I haven't got the oppotunity to audition it myself. The room in question is quite small.

Any onfo is helpful, thanks.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    remix_88

No need to worry over the pedigree of the Gallo's - the more refined the source, processing and amplification you throw at them the better they sound.

Personally I'd hold off on the A'diva as a Centre and if the budget allows I'd go with a Dué - the twin Micro Orbs + Ribbon HF of the Dué work well as a Centre channel in a Micro set up.

For Centre duties the A'Diva doesn't (for me) make anywhere near the step up in performance you get with the Dué .

The TR1 is designed to be a much less complex and costly option to the MPS150 (and there's also a TR2 on the way) the MPS150 is slightly more 'refined' than the TR1.

Another option we often partner with the Micro's is the Velodyne SPL-800 (S2) - again a very small (for the performance) sub; though with much more punch than the Gallo options.

Best regards

Joe

5. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Joe,

Thanks for the information, very interesting. The A/V receiver at the top of my list is the Denon AVR-2805, the room is approx 3.5m x 5.5m.

Unfortunately the Dué doesn't meet the aesthetic requirements for my girlfriend, so it is not an option. I have external budgetary and design requirements ;-)

The Velodyne SPL-800 sub looks very nice, but unfortunately is outside my budget. Anything else out there around the 500 quid mark?

I was hoping that combining the cheaper TR1 with an A'Diva in the center (which has slightly better bass performance the the Micro) would be almost comparable to 5xMicro's and 1xMPS 150. Thoughts or comments?

I have auditioned the Micros with MPS150 and am happy with the performance, my girlfriend loves the size and style so we have a could compromise. I was just trying to find ways to give the package a little more punch without putting the price up too much.

I think I am favouring 4xMicro, 1xA'Dvia and 1x MPS 150. But if the TR1 would be sufficient for the room size then it would save me some cash.

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    I got 5 micros and an mp150 to replace my much larger tannoys and I have to say I don't miss the tannoys. Mine are all wall mounted in a 14ft square room. I no longer use a dedicated centre it complicated placing the projector screen but I actually prefer a phantom centre with the micros : a single micro as a centre doesn't cut it if you ask me and I actually had trouble getting it to blend with the L and R.

I do use a micro as a rear centre though.

Very good imaging with the micros and the phantom centre is uncannily well focused on the front of the screen (you'd swear there was a speaker there).

7. EpsomJames

EpsomJames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Have you also considered the almost identical Orb Audios?

You could start with Mod1s (single orbs) and upgrade the centre to Mod2 (twin orbs).

8. ronski99

ronski99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have orb audios - Mod2s LCR and Mod1s for rears. Really pleased one them and a considerable cost saving over the gallos. Previous I was running B&W 603's - I am not missing these at all.

9. flexiondotorg

flexiondotorg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Orb Audios certainly look nice but I have heard the Gallos with the MPS150 and I am happy with the performance and know what to expect from them. I would be taking a gamble with the Orb as I have never heard them.

Thanks for the info on the Orbs, I hope someone else reading this topic will find it useful.

10. smallangryboy

smallangryboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Just auditioned the Gallos, and to be honest I would go with A'Divas for Left Centre and Right and Nucleus for the rears.

This said I'm probably going to risk opting for the Orbs as the price saving is substantial and allows for purchasing a better sub.

Just out of interest ronski99 what sub are you using with yours as the setup you have is the one I'm going for. I plan to chop in my MA Silver 8's for them as they offer space saving and aesthetics for the girlfriend.

Ironically I auditioned the B & W 603's and nearly had them instead when I was buying my MA kit way back ! Encouraging to hear you don't miss those brutes !!!