Anthem room correction with two subwoofers?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by liamgdr, Feb 12, 2016.

1. liamgdr

liamgdr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hey,

Im currently using a Anthem MRX500 with a single SVS pc-2000, using the room correction is pretty simple, the receiver sets the level and distance perfectly.

However, I'm considering swapping my single pc2000 for two sb-1000's or pb-1000's for a more balanced sound. How would the room correction work with two subs. In my proposed positions one sub would be in the rear left corner approximately 2 meters from my listening position and the other would be 3 meters away in the opposing corner, can't get my head around how this would work especially setting the distances.

As far as I know room correction doesn't adjust the phase, so this is another problem I'll have to encounter, any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liam.

2. Researcher

Researcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Hi. I'm no expert, just an enthusiast, so others may have better advice. But.........

First off, does your receiver support dual subs? If so then the ARC should sort out everything, if not, I'd stick with your SVS PC2000 because the receiver will not be able to correctly set them up.
    Also re the "more balanced sound" that you are after - remember that (if the sub is set up correctly) your ear in most cases will not be able to tell where the single sub is.

If you still want to proceed with dual subs, I'd suggest that you have a look at the info out there re subwoofer placement, what you are proposing is not ideal - and two subs are more difficult to set up than a single one. Better placement would be two subs along the front, or two subs opposite each other front to back.
    Re the phase, if nothing is suggested in your handbook, set to zero.

Hope the above if of some help.

3. liamgdr

liamgdr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I understand that you shouldn't be able to understand where the sub is which in my case is kind of true, but you get the sense that the left side of the room is a bit weightier with bass. The main reason I want two subs is because of dead spots in the room. My Anthem doesn't have dual outputs for subwoofers but I've seen lots of threads mentioning the use of a splitter instead.

The positions that you mention are also recommended by SVS, but at the same time the positions that SVS recommend for a single sub don't work in my room so I don't take 'of the shelf' advice too seriously, the only positions that seem to work in my room are the front right and rear left corners, but both give some dead spots, thus the reason for throwing a sub in the other corner.

If the Anthem can't do it then I'll put the idea to bed but I'm sure there must be a way.

4. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,764
    I do something similar in my room, one sub front left 4.5 metres away and the other sub rear right 2.5 metres away, fed into a single sub output on my AVR (various ones over the last couple of years). However the critical thing is that I have control over separate delays in my sub amp so the closer rear sub has more delay than the front. I used REW to measure, adjust and optimise this so I've been able to really get this spot on. Like you I previously could always locate my single front sub, these days all the bass just sounds like it comes from my centre speaker.

I used the REW room sim to simulate the different locations for subs in my room (since it's a simple shape the sim works very well and measures very close to the prediction). I found than diagonal corners was actually one of the best arrangements for my room, central front and back walls had smaller peaks, but the room eq can pull them down, giving extra headroom and wasn't practical due to the TV at the front and furniture at the back of the room.

You could use something like a miniDSP 2 x 4 device to control the delays between the two subs, but you would still need to manually set this up using REW or similar. Then run your ARC set up which would treat them as a single sub.

It's a lot of effort, but IMHO worth it for the end result.

5. Researcher

Researcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Before I got my current Denon receiver with dual sub outputs, I had a Denon AVR 2808 with a single output. Originally used with a Mission FS2 sub, I upgraded to the SVS SB2000. Using a good Y splitter I used that as the main sub with the Mission turned down low during Audyssey setup. I then turned up the Mission sub slowly until the sound appeared to be OK to me. So it is possible to do what you want, however........

You will be going from the PC2000 to the 1000s, so effectivily you are downgrading - 16-260Hz @ 500W v 24-260Hz @ 300w. Just a suggestion, get a secondhand sub (or borrow a mates?) and try it with your existing sub before spending lots on something that may not work in your room configuration.

I do have to add that since going to my current receiver that has Audyssey twin sub management, the base is so much better managed.

6. liamgdr

liamgdr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Okay so my options seem to be:

1. Purchase a minidsp, set both subs up so the amp beleives it is one sub.
    2. Leave the system as it is with one sub.
    3. Purchase a new AV receiver with two sub outputs.
    I've actually recently been considering buying a new receiver so I may be able to use this subwoofer dilemma as an excuse to get one. The minidsp option doesn't really appeal to me, if there is a simpler solution I'd rather take it and now Ive got the idea of dual subs in my head I cant not follow through with it.

So the question now is what receiver to look at? Needs to be able to EQ two subs (obviously) and handle 2 channel well, I like the look of the Marantz sr7010 and Ive found a good deal on the older sr7009, any thoughts on these two amps?

Thanks,

Liam.

7. Researcher

Researcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I do think that the third option is probably the best assuming you can justify :) the cost. Don't forget to allow for that second sub! For the short term you may find that with a new receiver it sounds better anyway just because the set-up technology will hopefully have improved.

When I was doing my research late last year the Marantz SR6010, Yamaha RX-A1050 and the Denon AVR-X4200W were on my short list, in the end I went for the Denon as I got it at a great end of year price. Both the Denon and the Marantz have the Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 Pro, the Denon has " Audyssey Sub EQ HT provides individual DSP tailoring of each subwoofer in a dual subwoofer setup, for deeper bass with improved definition, compared to a single subwoofer configuration". I've not checked if the Marantz has something similar.

I listen to a lot of music and am happy with the two channel performance - I tried it using a sub but it was too bassy.

I cant help you re the sound of the Marantz's as I've not heard them, but from what many people say they are great Receivers. If you do go down the new receiver route make sure it is 'future proof' - i.e with HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, 4K scaling, etc.

Good luck with whatever route you decide on!

8. liamgdr

liamgdr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Okay so just made a slightly impulsive purchase (as usual) :blush:

Ordered a Marantz SR-7009 (last years flagship model), it has xt32 and the sub EQ HT you mention so I shouldn't have problems setting up two subs.

I can also ditch my bluetooth dac that I use for streaming music from my Iphone because it has built in wifi and bluetooth, I also don't need my hdmi splitter because it has 3 outputs, so that should work better with my projector and tv.

Im also getting the obvious 'future proofing features', Atmos, 4k etc.

All I have to do now is order my 2 subs, next week should be fun :clap:

Thanks,

Liam.

9. Researcher

Researcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Ahh, those impulse decisions. :clap:

But seriously, I'm sure that you will find it a great improvement over faffing about with two subs manually. Do be prepared to adjust the settings that the Sub EQ HT comes up with, I found that (as I have two very unequal subs) it set the weaker ones level much to high for it's capabilities.

Again, good luck and have fun!