Anthem receiver/amp: can’t figure out which sockets to plug the rears into!

JamesP1701

Hi all,

I’ve just moved house and I’ll be damned if I can figure out which sockets to plug my speakers into.

I have a 5.1 system and an Anthem PVA 7 amp and a 720 receiver.

ive plugged the two rear channels into the surround left and right channels and then connected the surround channels between the amp and receiver.
However, what’s really odd is that in my Xbox one and ps5, I am no longer get rear activity.
Switch the ps5/Xbox it to 7.1 however and I do get rear activity.
Have I missed something obvious??

dante01

Distinguished Member
In a 5.1 setup then there are no back or rear surrounds. The surrounds would be connected to the terminals simply labelled SURROUND. BACK or REAR surrounds are only ever used in a setup with 7 or more floor level speakers. These would be the backmost surrounds behind where the surrounds would be in a 5.1 setup.

by default 2021-05-05 at 22.43.22.png

If you've just a 5.1 setup then your surrounds should be connected to the terminals labelled SURR R and SURR L on the AVR.

If using the external amp, connect the surrounds to the terminals that correspond with the pre out connections from your AV receiver to the power amp.

by default 2021-05-05 at 22.55.52.png

Last edited:

JamesP1701

In a 5.1 setup then there are no back or rear surrounds. The surrounds would be connected to the terminals simply labelled SURROUND. BACK or REAR surrounds are only ever used in a setup with 7 or more floor level speakers. These would be the backmost surrounds behind where the surrounds would be in a 5.1 setup.

View attachment 1506757

If you've just a 5.1 setup then your surrounds should be connected to the terminals labelled SURR R and SURR L on the AVR.

If using the external amp, connect the surrounds to the terminals that correspond with the pre out connections from your AV receiver to the power amp.

View attachment 1506761
Thanks. That’s exactly what I’ve done, and yet the PS5 and Xbox one only output to the surrounds if I set them to 7.1.
My BD player and set top box are fine, it’s just in the consoles.

it’s bizarre!

dante01

Distinguished Member
You'd still configure sources to bitstream the native audio as is rather than configuring them to only output 5.1. The AV receiver will automatically mixdown the channels that haven't speakers present into the channels that have speakers present. The back surround channels for instance are mixed down into the surround channels if the source is 7.1 and being portrayed by a 5.1 setup.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom