Anthem or Emotiva power amp for front three.

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by t bone, Feb 20, 2014.

Tags:
  1. t bone

t bone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I'm toying with the idea of powering my front three with a 3 channel amp. I'm somewhat sceptical of the benefits if (any) but willing to give it a shot with some home demos. I've only come up with 2 amps that seems suitable, Emotiva XPA 3, & the Anthem MCA 30. I like the Anthem but it's a little more than my budget. I may be persuaded if it is as good as the literature States but on the other hand the Emotiva looks like great value. So if anyone has any experience in Powering there front three or can recoemmed an alternative amp please let me know.

Room 23ft x 14ft through lounge with minimum room treatment

Kit Currently using in a 7.1 configuration
    Marantz AV8801
    Marantz MM8807
    Monitor audio GX 200
    " GXC150
    " GX 100
    JL audio fathom F112

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  2. lokyc

lokyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    You already have a decent MM8807. The benefits of the XPA will be very doubtful. The XPR has more juice, but is not available in the UK.

I would think the MCA30 will be better. But while there, why not consider the ATI 1803? I think that will give the Anthem a run for its money. You can potentially add other channels later.

I don't think the AV8801 has genuine balanced output. Else the 2003's differential drive will take it to another level.

3. t bone

t bone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Hi lokyc

Thanks for your advice, not familiar with the ATI what price do They go for?

4. lokyc

lokyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Like, for like, they're cheaper than Anthem. But also have a heftier power supply.

they are owned by Krell and OEM for McIntosh, Krell, Outlaw, Mark Levinson. So you are getting top quality for factory prices.

check out Lsound.eu

5. t bone

t bone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Sounds promising will take a look thanks again.

6. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    yeah they have 180W, 200W, and 300W versions in 2,3,4,5,6, and 7 versions. I've just gone for the 180W, 7 channel model.

7. t bone

t bone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    What gear are you running with it and what are your thoughts on the 7 channel?

8. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    Kef Reference up front. Hasn't arrived yet.

9. lokyc

lokyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Russell Williams, the Lsound UK rep Member 96948, runs an 1807 driving KK Q125s. He can tell you more. He's based in Cambridgeshire and is happy for ppl to pop over and listen to his setup.

Given you've already got a power amp, may be useful to get his opinion on how the get the best out of your speakers. For eg. an 1804 to biamp the fronts. Or stretch to the 200x series for their differential drive.

10. lokyc

lokyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    btw, if you're wondering why I'm waxing lyrical about it but not putting my money where my mouth is, I was researching into PAs, and decided on getting an ATI. Not enough dosh for that. Also not sure how I can fit that monster in. But suddenly the XPR5 popped up on the classified for a ludicrious price. Unlike other PAs, interest was rife and competition fierce. Had to pull the trigger quick.

No regrets. But still an advocate of ATI. Bought the KK sub from Lsound as part of a group buy and they were really helpful.

Really excited to hear what stephenbarnes have to say. Particularly since he's used stereo amps to drive each channel before!

11. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    would have gone for the 2000 series but it's an extra 1000 Euros, for the same price as 7 channel 1807 you can only buy 4 channel 2000

12. lokyc

lokyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    the 1807s are conservatively rated. Power-wise, there's not much to choose between the 200x and 180x. At 4 ohms its 375wpc X 7, all channels driven, minimal distortion.

The 200x's main additional feature is the differential drive for balanced output (from a balanced input). This increases slew rate and also has absolute zero noise floor. The only balanced output processors I found are above 5k. Could be wrong and the Marantz and Yam processors have it too. But the 180x should be more than enough for home use.

13. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    Lexicon MC-8B? That's about £800. Also Sherbourne 7010, seen on for £300.

14. lokyc

lokyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
  15. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
  16. lokyc

lokyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    not on ebay ;)

17. t bone

t bone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Do you mind me asking how much you paid for your XPR?

18. lokyc

lokyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Of course not. It was on the classified, so closing price was open. Got it from jasonshepherd for £1050; his asking price.

When it was first introduced, there was a promotional discount and I think they got it for £1550 inclusive of shipping. There is a thread about it actually.

Must be around 20 or so posters of this forum bought it. A couple had faulty units. Mainly damaged in transit. The XPR is 50kg including packaging. The packaging are basically 2 flimsy boxes. Check out B&W speaker boxes and its night and day. The internal paddding isn't that fantastic as well. Amp itself though is solidly built.

I think there must have been loads of issues, and Emo realised it wasn't economical to ship them internationally; so stopped XPR sales outside USA.

The can't take on the big boys if they cost over 3k. Without after sales support etc. Also the price differential will be too great and ppl will baulk.

They're meant to open a European distribution hub to solve this problem. I think its a year now and we haven't heard anything. I suspect they're busy with the XMC-1 pre/pro, which has been delayed yet again.

19. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    I heard a lot of firmware problems on the av pre-amp, I needed a more affordable unit and Emotiva seemed a good price (£500) but the number of bugs turned me away from it. Constant firmware updates (good) but didn't fix previous problems, or new problems came along.