Anthem MRX Series Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having lived with the Arcam AVR600 for a good while now but fed up with it's utter madness, I'll hopefully be getting hold of MRX700 soon on loan as there literally seems to be bugger all else in the 2k - 3k price range.

I'd be really interested to read your feedback once you have had a play about with it for a while.

I have been delighted with the audio performance of the MRX series so far and I have used them with a wide range of speaker systems including the KEF T Series satellites right up to the PMC OB1/TB2/CB6 combination and numerous other in between.

I look forward to hearing your feedback.

what do people think MRX700 or a 300 with 900 going towards an external power amp? could pick up somethinglike a used Arcam P7 for that price ?

I'd be really interested to read your feedback once you have had a play about with it for a while.

I have been delighted with the audio performance of the MRX series so far and I have used them with a wide range of speaker systems including the KEF T Series satellites right up to the PMC OB1/TB2/CB6 combination and numerous other in between.

I look forward to hearing your feedback.

And I'll be more than happy to provide it. It seems to tick all the boxes and it has got rid of inputs I don't need. I can't see me needing the 900 with my current config and since I'm not going for a pre / power set up I'm hoping that the 700 will provide enuff juice.

I may trade up on the power amp powering my passive subs, I'll see what results the ARC gives me. I'll be comparing it directly to an AVR600 so I shall pick out some scenes from various blus for comparison.

what do people think MRX700 or a 300 with 900 going towards an external power amp? could pick up somethinglike a used Arcam P7 for that price ?

An MRX300 combined with an Arcam P7 would be a formidable combination. Combining state of the art audio processing and room correction along with tried and trusted high quality multi channel amplification you are unlikely to go wrong.

Bit much for that level of speaker perhaps? The 700 on it's own I think would be more than fine.

Hi Guys,

I posted this earlier in another thread but thought it might be of use here also.

Update on Demo -

Ok peeps here are my thoughts on todays brief demo between MRX 500 v Arcam 400. Which is really a first proper demo situation for me so bear with me.

Just to recap i currentley have a Denon 3808 used in conjuntion with parasound 2205 driving my front 3 with the denon driving the surrounds. Speakers are MA gold GR60's with gold center and GR10 as rears.
With a dd15 doing sub duites. In in all honest pretty happy with my current set up for HC and music using the direct mode on the denon. I know the music side can be improved using either a dedicated stereo pre with a HT bypass or a much higher end processor with bettar dacs etc at a high price tag. But i have decided my first aim is to try and improve the HC side as i am going to take a dip into the 3d market and rather than keep the denon using a new oppo twin outputs etc use that as the driver to improve the HC side with a new 3d enabled processor or reciever first and then look at the music side later.

The demo set up consisted of the new B&W C range speakers floorstanders cant remember the exact model but retail for around £1800 so consistant price wise with my front 2 orignal rrp. With matching ctr and 2 lower model floorstanders for surrounds. Sub duties was the new paradigm sesmic 110 or nicknamed the bulldog and i have to say an impressive bit of kit considering its small size. Oh and the player was the Anthem bluray player which i believe
Share's its DNA with the new Arcam Blu. So iwas a bit concerned regarding reliabilty of the player but suffice to say it performed flawlessly. Also to bettar replicate how i would be using either machine in my set up an arcam 2 channel power amp was added to drive the Front L & R.

Ok so i brought along 3 blu's that i know pretty well and chose them for specifically for thier all out action sences coupled with a couple having a movie musical score in the background as well.

The films were WOTW , Terminator 4 and Inception.

Ok first up the Arcam so i chose WOTW first which has that rare combination of great effects but also a brillant musically score that really draws you into the film and gives it real emotion if you know what i mean !!!

I concentrated on scene 4-6 where the lightning strikes and storm create a fantastic stage for any decent HT to show its colours. On the Arcam it sounded really good, steering on the surrounds was excellent with good separation between the left and right surrounds as the storm moved in different directions, i felt myself jumping at the clarity of the sound behind me and thought this is a good start already i can hear improvements over my denon as the scence moves onto the crowd staring at the crater in the street there is a great pressurerisation moment as the room fills with the sort of LFE you cannot see in relation to the action on the screen but you can feel something is about to happen !!! At this point the musical score begins to kick in and i kept noticing how much bettar this sounded on the arcam versues my denon very cohesive and it felt as big a part of the overall effect of the scene as opposed to just being in the background. But as the action starts to really crank up i also notice a feeling of a sort of one effect, explosion etc blending into another and not that tight extended separated effect of certain explosions etc hard to explain but i was left feeling very good overall espically musically but not a major improvement over what i have already for the HC only i stress. Musically it is clearly bettar that the Denon.

Ok in the intrest of keeping this shorter i skip straight to the Anthem and compare the same disc same scenes etc.

Scene 4 Storm and Lightning strikes.... ok immediately i can hear a difference the steering has more authority, grip sounds tighter i begin to get quite excited at this point, moving on into the scene i can hear effects that either i missed on the Arcam or they just got lost in the overall soundstage !!!
It soon became clear the difference was being caused by the ARC eq and the processing methodology of Anthem. The Sub had a much tighter grip and overall effect to me was just more impressive. Although i will add a slight caveat to that - and this is why i chose this disc, i was careful not to get lost just on the amazing effects but also compare the musical score in comparision to the Arcam. Well i have to say it was not as good as the Arcam it def felt more in the background and did not draw you in as much like the Arcam did for example in the Arcam i could quite cleary hear the richness of whatever horn section was used in the score.

Ok to summise i forgot to bring some cds to listen to but the guys had a meridian sooloos system attached so i listen to A couple of prince tracks from his musicology Album. result on the music Arcam clearly bettar infact it sounded very sweet for a receiver. The Anthem on the other had was ok but to be fair the ARC eq for music mode was not calibrated and that is what this receiver is all about imo.

So in conclusion which is the bettar AMP - i suppose without stating the obvious it depends on what your drivers are and additional features you may or may not want. For me the MRX 300 at a grand is a no brainer for what i am trying to achieve in my system. Not fussed with all the additional networkable features receivers/processors come saddled with these days as i rarely use them no doubt that may change in the future but for now i just want the best sound at the best price point to watch and enjoy great movies
with some music on the side simple.

I think if the Arcam was closer to the Anthem Movie's eq side i would have gone for that in a heartbeat as a ultimate one box solution, however saying that it will be perfect for 90 percent of peeps out there i am sure it is a quality peice of kit. However i think i fall into the camp of i want my amp to excel at movies first and music secound, as i can always improve the music with other options.

In reflection my nirvana would be a Arcam 400 with Arc EQ now that would be something, but it all points to i believe the EQ side is now the game changer and if Anthem can deliver this amazing tech at thier entry level price points after hearing it i would be a fool not to risk the 1k investment given i have a decent multi amp in situ.

I have still to demo the Marantz 7005 but for what i specifically require and at £600/700 pounds more i think i know the answer on that one.

Lastley i would strongley advise a back to back demo of both these units if you are in the market for a sub 2k receiver/pre.... if you have a dealer that stocks both. It sums ups the strenghs and weaknesses of both these respected brands and gives you a much clearer picture as to which path or direction you choose to go down after today i certainley know where i am headed

Hope this is helpful to all in the same boat. happy hunting.

Oh well finally got around to it!!!

Attachments

• image-631404963.jpg
    image-631404963.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 995
Oh well finally got around to it!!!

Congrats :thumbsup: Which model did you go for?

How does ARC compare to your previous receiver?

Installation wise - did you go for dealer install or did yourself (and was it difficult?) ?

I'm interested in the MRX300 mainly for the ARC and to be used as a pre only.

Exactly what I am doing!
300 into a p7!
I have not run arc yet am away now till Monday although it did sound a lot clearer than my old onkyo 5507 last night.

OMG!

THE BEST sound I have ever heard from my system.....period.......

Seperation,steering...clearer crisper....stunning.

OMG!

I am glad to hear you are enjoying the benefits of ARC.

Spread the word.

Chris.

Why is it so good?????

National treasure bbc1hd unreal.... Haha

OMG!

Is that for both stereo and surround?

OMG!

Result! :thumbsup:

I assume that's with ARC?

How difficult was the (ARC) calibration?

its a pity the MRXs don't EQ >4k (or is it 8k ?) -thats just reserved for the AVMs for some reason isn't it ?

I'm tempted with a 300 - but the fact that my Pioneer - applies a -3dB cut at 8khz - implies theres room for EQ above 4k in my setup - which makes me ponder

I'm tempted with a 300 - but the fact that my Pioneer - applies a -3dB cut at 8khz - implies theres room for EQ above 4k in my setup - which makes me ponder

It might do but who's to say what the Pioneer is trying to do to the sound is the right thing to do.

My advice would be to speak to your local Anthem dealer and see if they can arrange to let you try out an MRX model at home for a weekend and then take things from there. You'll never know until you try and if you keep pondering about it for as long as Tom did then you'll probably also end up wishing you made the change ages ago just like he is now. ;)

So stop your dilly dallying and get out there and spend some cash, after all that's what it's for. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Chris.

Result! :thumbsup:

I assume that's with ARC?

How difficult was the (ARC) calibration?

Ok,
You do have to enter the speaker distances into the Anthem first then connect a windows laptop up.

it takes about twenty minutes in total for the auto to run, 7-8 noises each run out of speakers then does it's thing, uploads to the 300 and hey presto!

I do have to say a BIG thanks to Ian at KHC for the advise and going to pick it up for me as I needed the receiver in two days,and,who lent me his usb>serial gadget to get going. Thanks Ian!

Only thing now is the Arcam P7 a good enough match?

Good for you TopmeTom

It is really encoraging to see someone come from a 5507 pro and made the comments you have. Of course i knew this already when i had my demo a couple of months back against a Arcam 400 and the fantastic success of these units across the pond.

I am waiting to upgrade to a X3 and the Anthem 300 at the same time hence my slight delay but you got me juiced with your welcome to the ARC club feedback.

Just a shame more peeps do not demo because once you hear it the differences are clearly bettar than anything i have heard in the sub2k receiver
market and its mainly down to ARC.

The game has moved on - get with the program people if you desire ultimate movie performance !!!!

It is true, the best upgrade audio wise I have ever made. Believe me I've had some as well!!!! Pio, onky, tag,rotel,yammy,denon

not sure about some of the test results - but if it sounds good who cares

Precisely. I think they summed up the review nicely with:

Home Cinema Choice said:
With the ARC tuned to perfection, the MRX 700 establishes a new standard of sonic performance at this price point, and leaves the rest of the pack sounding a little lacklustre by comparison.

I particularly liked:

Home Cinema Choice said:
The ARC's control over the subwoofer in particular is way ahead of the game, making even Velodyne's excellent built-in EQ on the DD18 sound woolly by comparison.

HCC review sounds very positive indeed - thats good - especially considering how highly rated the internal EQ on the DD range is !

I guess the Anthem doesn't time correct as well though like the Antimode 8033 ?

I only mentioned the test results as I couldn't see why it was benched for SNR lower than the Onkyo 609 they also tested ? On a mid-high end receiver you'd expect 85db+ ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom