Anthem MRX Series Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
BobbyMac said:
Really impressed watching a DVD last night with the steering and clarity of the dialougue, less impressed with the paltry 6 input selection on the remote (might have to use my HDMI Switch) :facepalm:

However the proof of the pudding with ARC will be tonight when I compare the Anthem against my Audiolab M-DAC for 2 Channel duties :devil:

Dont forget the mrx digitizes all inputs, I asked on avs about dac's and was told not to bother!

Dont forget the mrx digitizes all inputs, I asked on avs about dac's and was told not to bother!

Depends if you subscribe to the premise that all DAC's sound the same ;)

I'll be comparing digital coax vs digital toslink (simultaneous feed from a Squeezebox Touch) via a Beresford speaker switch

Should be interesting :devil:

BobbyMac said:
Depends if you subscribe to the premise that all DAC's sound the same ;)

I'll be comparing digital coax vs digital toslink (simultaneous feed from a Squeezebox Touch) via a Beresford speaker switch

Should be interesting :devil:

Cant wait!

My MRX-300 goes on a wagon on Monday so I should get it on Tuesday/Wednesday!

drool1.gif

Chris & Dan @HCC

Hi Chaps,

Just wanted to thank you again for your recent superb service during the purchase of the JVC DLA-HD750 - just waiting to get it calibrated, should be next week.

Now in full swinging fever of "upgradetitis", I've been enthusiastically reading about the Canadian Anthem AV receivers.

I currently own a Yamaha RX-V1900 which is powering a 7 B&W CT700 series speakers and 2 Velodyne 12" subs.

Would you be able to comment on what sort of improvements I would expect from changing my amp to the entry level MRX300? Would this be a sideways shift or a genuinely signficant upgrade? Should I be considering the 500 or 700 perhaps?

(I've also emailed this message to you along with a request to offer a part-ex deal for my Yamaha.)

Are there any Android or Apple Apps for the MRX series?

It's here, it's here!

attachment.php

:clap:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 673
Well? ARC'ed yet???????

Just finished putting back all the kit in my rack. Will need to dust of my old PC and load software for ARC next however, I'm going out for a dinner at 18.00 so running out of time. Most likely will get it up once back later on tonight :).

Please let us know how it goes, I think this could be the trigger for me!

I really don't think there is a such a thing as "average price" when it comes to Anthem. It's seams that every retailer I looked at sells MRX-300 for £1100.

So, as the only amplification I would have would be the anthem,is it worth me spending more money for the 700 ?

Rest of my kit is below and room size is 5.5x6.0 m
Cheers Steve

SteveRSF said:
So, as the only amplification I would have would be the anthem,is it worth me spending more money for the 700 ?

Rest of my kit is below and room size is 5.5x6.0 m
Cheers Steve

If you are going to be using the amplification onboard the Anthem then there is a definite step upon performance as you go through the range, particularly the MRX700 with the toroidal transformer.

If you are going to be using the amplification onboard the Anthem then there is a definite step upon performance as you go through the range, particularly the MRX700 with the toroidal transformer.

Yeah thought so ,do you think it would be far better than my old Yamaha a1 in your opinion crusty?

SteveRSF said:
Yeah thought so ,do you think it would be far better than my old Yamaha a1 in your opinion crusty?

Tricky one, the bare bones amplification in your A1 is probably on a par with the MRX700, however the processing and more importantly the ARC room correction will put the Anthem several rungs up the performance scale.

A demonstration at whoever is your local dealer should seal the deal once you have heard it. Please also be aware that those not used to hearing a system with such a clean flat response might not warm to it initially but do give it a chance.

Cheers,

Chris.

Thanks for the info chris ,need to get down for a demo methinks !

I'm suffering with the lament and obsession of potential upgrade time!!!!

Here are my thoughts/queries.....

1. Setting up The Anthem - I've read that it may take ages to set up using a laptop and really, should be done by an installer. What are people's opinions on this?

2. With my budget in mind, what would you choose between these.....

Anthem MRX 300 or 500 to replace my Yamaha RX-V1900

or

Keep the Yamaha, & purchase a decent 3 channel power amp (like Linn or Rotel) to power the front soundstage?

3. FInally - if someone offered me an Arcam 500 for £850 or Arcam 600 for £1600 - would these be clear choices above and beyond the Anthem 700, pound for pound?

1. Setting up The Anthem - I've read that it may take ages to set up using a laptop and really, should be done by an installer. What are people's opinions on this?

or

Keep the Yamaha, & purchase a decent 3 channel power amp (like Linn or Rotel) to power the front soundstage?

3. FInally - if someone offered me an Arcam 500 for £850 or Arcam 600 for £1600 - would these be clear choices above and beyond the Anthem 700, pound for pound?

1) If you can connect a couple of USB cables, position a microphone stand in 5 positions and can install simple PC programs, it's a doddle to run ARC in Auto Mode, my 1st go took 30 mins (and that was double checking every step)

2) Get the MRX 300 and use the saved money towards a poweramp (but run the Anthem as a receiver, you may find out you don't need to beef up the amp section

3) Without having heard an Arcam 500 or 600, the general consensus is that the Anthem is better for Movies and the Arcam is better for Stereo Music in Direct Mode. However if you have a difficult room ARC pisses all over Arcam's EQ system.

The Arcam 600 is meant to be something very special for 2 channel and the Arcam 500 is meant to have 90% of thr 600's SQ

If you can try and demo both Anthem & Arcam Amps or if you can only take a blind punt on the Arcam, you wouldn't lose much on resale value if you decided you preferred the Anthem

1)
2) Get the MRX 300 and use the saved money towards a poweramp (but run the Anthem as a receiver, you may find out you don't need to beef up the amp section

Aaagghh!! Don't tempt me, I'm going over the edge! :D

I'm seriously considering this option - basically, I'm tired of simply replacing equipment over the years. I want to get a solid grounding and build up.

Eventually I'd love to be using power amps such as Anthem's A5 & A2 or Rotel 1575 for the various channels.

I really want to hear a substantial improvement now and then build up the entire system patiently thereafter - is there any point getting a quality 3 channel power amp now and using Yamaha as the processor and power amp for surrounds? And then saving up to get a quality processor next year?

Last edited:
Aaagghh!! Don't tempt me, I'm going over the edge! :D

I'm seriously considering this option - basically, I'm tired of simply replacing equipment over the years. I want to get a solid grounding and build up.

Eventually I'd love to be using power amps such as Anthem's A5 & A2 or Rotel 1575 for the various channels.

I really want to hear a substantial improvement now and then build up the entire system patiently thereafter - is there any point getting a quality 3 channel power amp now and using Yamaha as the processor and power amp for surrounds? And then saving up to get a quality processor next year?

I had an Yamaha 3900 until late last year, the MRX 300 is a definite improvement in Sound Quality :smashin:

I had an Yamaha 3900 until late last year, the MRX 300 is a definite improvement in Sound Quality :smashin:

In what way??? Do tell!

Also, can I connect both my subs to this?

I didn't manage to finish my set-up tonight so will have to wait till morning. Missus is away with the kids tomorrow morning so I'll have some peace to play about with my new toy :D.

As far as I can see there is only one output on MRX-300 (not sure about other two models) so you'd have to link your two subs together or use Y splitter.

In what way??? Do tell!

The Anthem has more clarity and music/dialogue is more defined, basically less muddy

Don't get me wrong the 3900 was good in it's own way (and was DSD direct with SACD), however the Anthem is a level up from the 3900 (and as the 3900 was a tier up from your 1900, I don't think you will be dissapointed

You can run two subs on the MRX 500 & 700, but you need to run ARC with one sub attached at a time according to the user manual :smashin:

DrGekko said:

or

The Arcam 600 and 500 will be better for both stereo and multichannel music. That is if for the multi channel you have a great listening room that doesn't need EQ. If your listening room will benefit from EQ and most do the Anthem MRX 300 with a quality power amp would be the way to go IMO. The Arcams are fab but with very very basic EQ. I have the 500 and love it. If you wish to upgrade amps in the future only the 600 has pre outs not the 500.
If I ever changed my ARCAM I would get an Anthem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom