Anthem MRX 740 AV Receiver Review & Comments

Any news on 2.1 upgrade pricing? Better to wait until it’s built in and then purchase?

Yes that is why i am waiting not because i need 2.1 but you are paying for it anyhow. You buy now the future upgrade will not be free so you loose out, crazy should have waited to release this and solved the many bugs people are experiencing including the very loud fan noise.

Comments about the Denon at the end, thought the latest models had the 2.1 implemented now. No clunky box required.

Risky business saying that HDMI 2.1 IS coming - we all know you shouldn’t purchase something based on future promises.

I suspect these receivers will never see 2.1 compatibility and they’ll release an MRX 745 or something :(

You're right, it isn't relevant given the MRX 740 is limited to 12 channels. I'll save that complaint for my review of the AVM 70.
I take exception to the Anthem website misleading buyers by making it look like DTS:X Pro is implemented when with the current firmware it is not.

There is here: Anthem® | A/V Processor | AVM 70 | Overview

It is in the red bar about a third of the way down.
Thanks. As you've already pointed out it's irrelevant for the MRX 740, but maybe they are planning to add it for the MRX 1140 and AVM 70. I'm getting the latter in for review soon, so I'll find out what Anthem's plans are for DTS:X Pro.

Thanks. As you've already pointed out it's irrelevant for the MRX 740, but maybe they are planning to add it for the MRX 1140 and AVM 70. I'm getting the latter in for review soon, so I'll find out what Anthem's plans are for DTS:X Pro.
I'm pretty sure they have said it will be added. Might want to check on the owners thread but I think it should be marked "Coming Soon" so as not to mislead.

You could test it in about 15mins if you have an AVM70 (Setup 9.1.6 and plug a speaker and power amp into one of the wide outputs and see if you get output with DTS:X)

You could test it in about 15mins if you have an AVM70 (Setup 9.1.6 and plug a speaker and power amp into one of the wide outputs and see if you get output with DTS:X)
Don't worry, I'll be testing the AVM 70 in a full 9.1.6-channel system.

Thanks for the review Steve...I was aware of the anthems before I purchased my Marantz 7015..but i love the sound of the Marantz so much i bought that and other than the hdmi bug. its been great. I wish av manufacturers would give you an option to upgrade parts like the Trinnov's do to future proof equipment. especially the more expensive they get. when you start getting close to £3,000 though I think I would be looking for separate processor and amplifier, although i understand the interest for 1 box solutions.

If you have 2 subs are they EQ'd separately or together?

If you have 2 subs are they EQ'd separately or together?
Solution to this is to use a minidsp, time align the subs yourself and then let arc EQ them as one sub. This will give the best overall response if you time align them correctly.

Solution to this is to use a minidsp, time align the subs yourself and then let arc EQ them as one sub. This will give the best overall response if you time align them correctly.
I currently use a minidsp for my 2 subs and my hoverboss but it would be nice to have an AIO solution without the need for extra products.

No mention of the plethora of bugs and issues that plagued the release of these new receivers?
Yep looks like radio silence over that one and why I'm looking elsewhere.
Apparently people with the noisey fan bug have been told it's supposed to be like that.
Not good enough.

I currently use a minidsp for my 2 subs and my hoverboss but it would be nice to have an AIO solution without the need for extra products.
Unless you’re going right to the higher end stuff you’ll be struggling to get multiple sub EQ, especially if you already have a hoverboss in play.

With the internal amp re-assignment, does this apply to the MRX540 too? I have an integrated stereo amp I use for my front speakers anyway, so it would tick all the boxes if I could use the built in channels to power the rest of my 5.1.2 setup....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom