Anthem MRX 740/1140 or Arcam AVR30

KristopherJN

Novice Member
So here is my challenge currently own a Marantz SR6013 and am in a fortunate position to be able to afford an upgrade. I am seeing great reviews on Anthem online, but also great reviews on Arcam. So I've got it down to MRX740/1140 (we plan to buy a house next two years so having extra speaker outputs is the reason why I'm considering the 1140) or the Arcam AVR30 (noting that I would need to buy further amps to support additional speakers). What keeps bugging me in my mind is whether the stretch to the AVR30 is worth it with class G amplification or not. I listen to a lot of vinyl with my Pro-Ject audio RPM-1 carbon (and will be buying a Rega Phono stage this week). Other sources include tidal and Netflix/Prime via the TV.

Speaker wise I have B&W 603 fronts, HTM52 centre (I love them and won't replace them) M-1 for rears (which when we buy the house will be replaced with appropriate ceiling speakers from b and w) and Kef Atmos speakers. Sub is currently a b and w asw608 but am thinking to swap it out with an REL T5.

Could I ask opinions therefore on this setup as to whether I should stretch to the Arcam or save a few quid and go Anthem?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I would talk with few dealers if they have demo unit on hands which they could lent for home demo for you to hear is it worth throwing 4-5k£.

Generally i don´t like the idea that you would be keeping B&Ws budget range speakers with such expensive amplification. Normally people would upgrade speakers first as they are the heart and soul of your system, but it´s your call.

Keep in mind that if you feel the Marantz isn´t as good with music listening you could just add integrated stereo amp with HT-bypass so it would power your main speakers with movies too. You would save about 3000£ compared to buying AVR30. Use the App Editor with your Marantz for movies to optimize Audussey. Your receiver has preouts for integrated amp and poweramp if you wish to build some big 7.2.4 system.

M1s replaced with ceiling speakers and Kef atmos speakers assuming upfiring (Q50a)? That wouldn´t be optimal to have surround speakers at ceiling and then also bouncing the effects through ceiling. Correct me if your plan wasn´t this. The way it would work would be you buying in-wall speakers and they would be mounted about seated ear height on side or rear wall and then atmos speakers of your liking (upfiring, front heights, in or on-ceiling).

From ASW608 to T5i/T5x would be sideway move - don´t do it! Both being small 8" sealed products. Also if your aim is to build enjoyable cinema system you are looking wrong type of products. That tiny sub is going to roll off heavily in the +30hz region so it´s near it´s limits there already and you are missing the fun stuff down to 20hz. Even if you don´t listen super loud the larger cab and driver is going to give you more fuller sound with extra depth. At least consider some sealed 12" models like BK XXLS400 (if music use is priority and tight budget), SVS SB1000/SB2000 Pro and Arendal 1961 1S. REL has also the HT/1205 model which is going to wipe the floors with T5x on movies. If you must have compact size woofer then look SVS Micro 3000 which has dual opposite 8" drivers and powerfull amplification in wife friendly size.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Other members / dealers @ShanePJ might have better recommendations, but if you still fancy class-g amp with high quality ESS dac then you could consider Arcam SA20 or SA30.

SA20 = 90w 8ohm / 150w 4ohm (999£)

SA30 = 120w 8ohm / 220w 4ohm with Dirac Live room correction (2000£)

These do have "HT-Bypass" feature: Arcam SA30

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
If you fancy spending 2k-3k£ and want one of the best room correction for stereo listening then you have the Lyngdorf products too. No doubt superb products, but that is big amount of money to spent driving budget range speakers. At least try to get demoes before buying anything..

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
We supply all of the above.

We wouldn’t recommend the Arcam. Reliability and firmware issues plus poor Dirac implementation.

Anthem 1140 would be our recommendation.

A Lyngdorf will give incredible 2.2 channel reproduction and integrate with your Marantz. The Lyngdorf 2170 is now discontinued.

[email protected]

KristopherJN

Novice Member
So I installed the Rega Phono MM Mk3 tonight, and immediately noticed the difference, the phono stage makes the sounds so much more refined and so much crisper (although not sure about the base could be a bit more punchy). Next step is to introduce some Chord clearway speaker cables into the system and see how I get on. I fully agree with @Gasp3621 re my current speakers and I am defiantly considering an upgrade to the 700 series B&W's overtime (and more importantly the Mrs signing off) permitting with some installed Ceiling speakers when we move house. Just I thought, should I potentially consider the MM7025 from Marantz as a power amp for the 603's or am I going down a tagent that doesn't make sense?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
So I installed the Rega Phono MM Mk3 tonight, and immediately noticed the difference, the phono stage makes the sounds so much more refined and so much crisper (although not sure about the base could be a bit more punchy). Next step is to introduce some Chord clearway speaker cables into the system and see how I get on. I fully agree with @Gasp3621 re my current speakers and I am defiantly considering an upgrade to the 700 series B&W's overtime (and more importantly the Mrs signing off) permitting with some installed Ceiling speakers when we move house. Just I thought, should I potentially consider the MM7025 from Marantz as a power amp for the 603's or am I going down a tagent that doesn't make sense?

I don`t think you get much recommendations at AVF to spend expensive speaker cables. Snake oil of this hobby.

That MM7025 poweramp doesn´t make much sense as you would want at least double the wattages to get 3db headroom, 110w -> 140w is not big enough change, also keep in mind that you would be using the SR601x preamp still. Generally for 2ch listening you should consider integrated amp so it`s fully it`s own vs. your receiver. Not saying that adding poweramp wouldn`t make difference if it`s good, but usually audiophiles opt for the integrated 2ch amp route. With the HT-Bypass feature you can use it with movies then. Buying expensive amp you should be able to get home trial if you are serious buyer. Please listen before buying to find out is it worth for you.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom