Anthem MRX 720 vs MRX 740

diamondtecusa

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
New here...
I'm building a new 7 speaker system (LCR, two sides, two rears) and need an unvarnished opinion on the older Anthem MRX 720 compared to the new MRX 740 unit.

I understand the MRX 740 has some new features that are not as important to me like Channel Re-Assignment, External & IP Control Capabilities (Web Interface) that you can customize with Control, Savant and Elan (to name a few) plus support Apple AirPlay and AirPlay 2.

Does anyone know if the Anthem MRX 720 also supports Apple AirPlay and AirPlay 2?
Any other appreciable features in the new Anthem that are worth mentioning?
I am more concerned with quality of the receiver, power and features that I will utilize in my home theater and music listening environment and not necessarily the latest/greatest receiver.

Thank you!

>Does anyone know if the Anthem MRX 720 also supports Apple AirPlay and AirPlay 2?
No, it doesn't. Music streaming is via DTS Play-Fi app. Alternate options I use are:
  1. Nvidia Shield Chromcast -> HDMI -> AVR. Nvidia Shield can use native music apps to play HiRes. e.g. Tidal client can do the first MQA unfold. There are some apps that emulate AirPlay on Android TV - I haven't done any A - B comparison on quality.
  2. Bluesound node 2i -> Cox cable -> AVR. This setup has better music services integration and Airplay 2 support (but lacks Chromecast). RCA connection also possible but the general opinion is the AVR DAC is better.
  3. Raspberry Pi based solutions (next on my list to experiment). Should cost <£150 and will have a lot of flexibility including scripting to send IP control to AVR
Though I ordered 740 and waiting for delivery in 2 months, not fully convinced about the advantages (streaming is taken care with above options). My understanding is that the DAC & Amp is same, so no fundamental change to sound quality (there is a better calibration mic though). Other experienced Anthem users / MRX xx40 owners will be able to comment.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom