Anthem mrx 300

stoke1975

Established Member
Reaction score
How difficult is this to eq using ARC?
I have read conflicting reports. I can use a computer but I am far from proficient
I have successfully programmed Tag, bryston and naim processors. Even a meridian 568.2mm via laptop, although I did find that difficult
I am no where near a dealer and will therefore have to do it myself or pay someone else
Thanks in advance

Fairly simple in it's "auto everything" mode. It takes about 20 minutes for 5.1 I think. Lots of woop-woop noises. Once you've done the measurements though you can tweak things if you want.

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer
I am picking one up tomorrow and will probably get chance to set up on Sunday
I will post back with my findings

Neil

I am picking one up tomorrow and will probably get chance to set up on Sunday I will post back with my findings

In that case, then it should be the dealer you are purchasing it from who should be talking you through the setup or doing it themselves.

Understood.

If that is an issue then I'd advise looking at the american equivalent to avforums as they have a large help thread for configuring ARC.

Anthem owners -
I am also thinking of getting an MRX 300, aside from ARC how good is the sound quality?would there be much of a difference in quality between an MRX300 and a MRX500? I have a smallish living room and I am interested in sound quality more than absolute volume. Anthem are known for producing high end amps but a lot of people (on AVS forums)seem to use a MRX300 just as a preprocessor. I would like a single box solution, any thoughts much appreciated.
thanks

The acoustic in my room is sufficiently non-flat that I've not tried comparing my MRX-300 to my Yamaha AX861 when running both flat. Running with room EQ the MRX-300 is much better I think.

I don't play mine loud (-30 dB on the volume setting at most probably).

The things I've really found noticeable are
* Speakers
* Speaker placement
* Speaker port bungs
* Room
* EQ

If I had to bet my own money I'd say that for a given amount of imperfection in the sound, the amps in the MRX300 are maybe responsible for 2% and the items above are 98%.

But I'd be happily proved wrong.

Will your dealer let you borrow a 300 and a 500 to compare? I'd be interested to know if you can tell the difference between them blindfolded.

OK. First daft question.
Unfortunately the dealer omitted to include a power cord when I came to open the box (ex dem).
I have a kettle lead which goes into my rotel 1575 which I could use but the socket on the back of the Anthem is a 2 pin.
Does anyone know if it needs a specific power cord.
Thanks
Neil

Thanks for that, its going to be a long night
Bluray now playing but cannot get freesat through HDMI.
Does the source have to be configured for each input? I cant work out how to save anything other than main source?

Its probably me.

OK got my head round the sources a little better now and managed to set up my squeezebox Touch in CD.

No luck with freesat, no picture or sound via HDMI

Any ideas??

Cheers

Neil

OK on Freesat it searches and locates sound but no picture and then moves to repeat the cycle.

I am connected to a projector via HDMI

Anyone??

Thanks

Try a differene HDMI input on the amp? Check the output settings on the freesat box (cycle through resolutions)? Check it works when going straight to the projector without the amp in the way?
Check how the 2 video input configurations on the amp are set up, and which configuration is being used by the freesat input?

WonkyEwok said:
Try a differene HDMI input on the amp?

Tried different inputs and different cables without success

Check the output settings on the freesat box (cycle through resolutions)?

I will try this when I get back tonight

Check it works when going straight to the projector without the amp in the way?

No problem straight from sat box to projector via hdmi

Check how the 2 video input configurations on the amp are set up, and which configuration is being used by the freesat input?

Not sure what you mean by this. I have it connected to hdmi 4 and configured the sat input to refect this

Thanks again

OK. First daft question.
Unfortunately the dealer omitted to include a power cord when I came to open the box (ex dem).
I have a kettle lead which goes into my rotel 1575 which I could use but the socket on the back of the Anthem is a 2 pin.
Does anyone know if it needs a specific power cord.
Thanks
Neil

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the unit ex-dem?

Not sure what you mean by this. I have it connected to hdmi 4 and configured the sat input to refect this

Thanks again

As well as choosing which hdmi socket a given input ('game' etc.) will look at for video, you can tell it how to look at it. From memory there are two video configurations you can set up. So e.g.

bdp : hdmi1 + video config 1
game : hdmi2 + video config 1
sat : hdmi3 + video config 2

I can't remember if the differences in the config would be enough to scupper your picture. As it's an ex dem one, did it come with instructions? There's a boat load available at the AVS forum.

Well, I simply tried again tonight and it found the signal from freesat straight away
Not sure what has changed or if indeed it will last.
Have to say I have had a very quick listen to movies and music and it is excellent
Running arc was the easiest bit

Just got to work out how to attach an audiolab mdac to the poweramp section and how to attach a separate power amp should I want to as there are no instructions for this

Just got to work out how to attach an audiolab mdac to the poweramp section and how to attach a separate power amp should I want to as there are no instructions for this

Let me know how you get on as I'm interested in this combo :smashin:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom