Anthem MRX 300 / 500 / 700 Series Owners Thread - Part 4

I agree that the sub sounds to be at fault - even with zero calibration it should just sound "not quite right", not terrible how you're describing it. Did you forget something inside / on the speaker cones? :D

I agree that the sub sounds to be at fault - even with zero calibration it should just sound "not quite right", not terrible how you're describing it. Did you forget something inside / on the speaker cones? :D

I was really looking forward to the system as well...took the week off work and all :mad::(

Thanks again for help. Its being sent off to SVS next week.

Gutted, it's really sh*t when that happens. Console yourself with a few beers or something

Well got my mrx700 back yesterday , video board replaced although they couldn't reproduce fault.
Will bed it in for a day to get used to out of box sound . Then arc Sunday night.
Must admit straight from box the sound is very dynamic . Enjoyed some late night Jools Holland with a glass or three .

Still waiting on my M-DAC upgrade to be done. Seems a complete resistor replacement has resulted in some stunning results, and this is on top of the level 2 mod. Can't wait until I get it back to listen to my music collection again. Might play around with the Anthem in the meantime.

Next will be stereo power amp to connect DAC directly , as there is no way of bypassing the anthem processing . Lakewest Power amps won't be ready for a while yet , as he has a hundred or so Mdac units waiting for upgrades. In the meantime will checkout some headphones..

Last edited:
Changed my speakers to KKsound 5.1, stunning performance with the Anthem. And its only a MRX300. Small room though, only got it to -25 (on the Anthem). When i come back from work later im going to see how loud i can stand it, but it sounded so good anyway im not really fussed what the volume says.

Just received my third Mrx300 due to the buzzing channel on the previous two. This one sounds fine for the moment but that was the same at the start with my last two and it developed in subsequent weeks. Fingers crossed this one isn't afflicted.

Hi, I noticed that you can assign different settings like subwoofer management and listening modes, etc to different sources but I don't seem to be able to have different presets that can be used within the same source. I thought it would be possible as there's even a preset button on the remote but it probably isn't, or is it? That would be great as would it allow me to quickly change settings to suit movies or music when using my PS3 as one of the sources. If not possible why is there a preset button on the remote?

Thank you :)

It's not pressing one button but you can press the Audio button on the remote and scroll through the audio option e.g. change it to Anthem Music, Stereo etc. 3 button presses?

To anyone running two subs - how did you set up the gain your power amp to 67dB per channel? I've looked at REW and HolmImpulse and they both use a negative dB scale and the subwoofer sound barely registers on my sound meter.

If I use the meter built into HolmImpulse (using the Anthem mic connected to my laptop) playing the MRX noise sequence for the subwoofer and I can set the amp gain to give a similar dB level to that of a rear surround (about -20dB). At this volume the rear surround shows as 70dB at the listening on the sound meter (the physical thing, not the HolmImpulse meter), but the subwoofer only shows about 40dB?

I'm tempted to "guess" the gain position for each channel on the 3000DSP, run ARC and see how it sets the level for the subwoofer channel. If you have a better idea, please shout :)

Hmm, not sure... how about calibrating with each sub separately, making a note of the gain in ARC and the power amp, then trimming each slightly when you put them back together and then doing one final combined calibration?

On a different note, my 300 pretty much crashed today when I powered it up - it remained stuck on the normal input display, but would not dim nor take any input from the remote or buttons. I unplugged it for a while and tried again, and it did eventually come back to life. Strangely however, it took quite a while to "boot up" and then I had no recognised input from the PC for about a minute (optical).
I've also noticed a hiss coming from some speakers - mostly the front left and both surround speakers' tweeters. It's there the same regardless of volume, input selected (with nothing playing so in theory it should be silent). I can only really hear it when I put my ear near the tweeters.
Are these things normal? Or just my bad luck, or being overly alert? :confused:

Last edited:
I did it by "best guess" in the end. First attempt was -8 and the second attempt was +1 :)

There shouldn't be a hiss, does it do it on mute and if everything is disconnected does it still hiss?

I did it by "best guess" in the end. First attempt was -8 and the second attempt was +1 :)

There shouldn't be a hiss, does it do it on mute and if everything is disconnected does it still hiss?

As long as it sounds good to you, that's what's most important! The only reason I was suggesting separate calibration is to make sure that both subs are "sweating" about the same, but I'm guessing you took care of that by setting similar levels on the power amps anyway.

Re: the hiss, yes it's there at high and low volume just the same, and on mute as well. I haven't gotten around to unplugging everything, it's all around the back and I can't see there too well but I'll give it a go tonight. Thanks!

By unplugging I just meant leads that go to other electrical devices e.g. TV, projector, in case it's picking up any noise from them via the HDMI cables (or the cables you use). I find if my laptop runs from it's power supply when the laptop is connected to my MRX my speakers make lots of noise.

My subs are under the front left/ right speakers so I'm happy to set channel gain to the same level for each at the moment but got too late to do much more than get the levels right.

Hmm, not sure... how about calibrating with each sub separately, making a note of the gain in ARC and the power amp, then trimming each slightly when you put them back together and then doing one final combined calibration?

On a different note, my 300 pretty much crashed today when I powered it up - it remained stuck on the normal input display, but would not dim nor take any input from the remote or buttons. I unplugged it for a while and tried again, and it did eventually come back to life. Strangely however, it took quite a while to "boot up" and then I had no recognised input from the PC for about a minute (optical).
I've also noticed a hiss coming from some speakers - mostly the front left and both surround speakers' tweeters. It's there the same regardless of volume, input selected (with nothing playing so in theory it should be silent). I can only really hear it when I put my ear near the tweeters.
Are these things normal? Or just my bad luck, or being overly alert? :confused:

What's your mains like? Do you have sudden drops, perhaps the Anthem is sensitive . Just one line of thought.

Is what hissing? Your sub? No there should not be a hiss, you will get some 50hz noise sometimes due to mains and other electrical gubbins, but only if you have your ear jammed up to the tweeter for example.

If you can hear it from a few feet away then you most certainly have a problem and more so if the sub is hissing.

If you have a sat / cable box, unplug it from the amp & wall and try again. Also be on the lookout for any variable resistors like dimmer switches on the same ring.

By unplugging I just meant leads that go to other electrical devices e.g. TV, projector, in case it's picking up any noise from them via the HDMI cables (or the cables you use). I find if my laptop runs from it's power supply when the laptop is connected to my MRX my speakers make lots of noise.

My subs are under the front left/ right speakers so I'm happy to set channel gain to the same level for each at the moment but got too late to do much more than get the levels right.

That sounds like the best setup, although bass is not directional, it's at least quite nice to keep L/R and subs at the same points.
I've only got HDMI leads to other electrical devices, and optical from the PC; I'll see later on if any of those is a culprit.

What's your mains like? Do you have sudden drops, perhaps the Anthem is sensitive . Just one line of thought.

No I shouldn't, it's nothing special but there shouldn't be anything bad there either.

Is what hissing? Your sub? No there should not be a hiss, you will get some 50hz noise sometimes due to mains and other electrical gubbins, but only if you have your ear jammed up to the tweeter for example.

If you can hear it from a few feet away then you most certainly have a problem and more so if the sub is hissing.

If you have a sat / cable box, unplug it from the amp & wall and try again. Also be on the lookout for any variable resistors like dimmer switches on the same ring.

I think you confused the issue, he was trying to help me with my hissing :smashin: it's from the tweeters only, mostly on the left and rear channels. I'll check if it's any of the HDMI-connected devices or cable box or Microserver later on. If none of those turn up guilty, I'll have to either lug it to another room (easy) with the speakers (ouch), or maybe one of those Tacima mains conditioners just to try. :thumbsup:

I think you confused the issue, he was trying to help me with my hissing :smashin: it's from the tweeters only, mostly on the left and rear channels. I'll check if it's any of the HDMI-connected devices or cable box or Microserver later on. If none of those turn up guilty, I'll have to either lug it to another room (easy) with the speakers (ouch), or maybe one of those Tacima mains conditioners just to try. :thumbsup:

Shaddap I wasn't confused, it was merely a test :D

My speakers hiss, if you jam your head up to them that's just electronics for ya. It's only a problem when audible from a distance of say a couple of feet. Then it's a case of crappy wiring.

50hz hummmmmmmmm is an earthing problem, which you're not describing, so no worries. Unplug the sat box from the mains and disconnect it from the amp.

Leave nothing connected then start adding sources one by one. Mains conditioners only need to be used when you have really bad mains as most of them (not all Rich, keep your panties on) will ruin your sound.

Crappy tweeters will hiss more too, but you don't have crappy speakers iirc.

Panties still on RD:D

Rich, lemme know if you're planning any excursions in august, I wanna look at PJ's and screens as the plasma market is just balls and non existent over 65''

Rich, lemme know if you're planning any excursions in august, I wanna look at PJ's and screens as the plasma market is just balls and non existent over 65''

Definitely Ross.We can go to Gecko for starters. You will have a blast there, literally.
Pm me dates so it doesn't clash with work etc.

"or maybe one of those Tacima mains conditioners just to try"

I've got one not for the amazing clarity it brings to my system (what hifi...lol) but because its a good quality 6 way mains block, I couldn't tell the diffrence when I put mine on, but my mains go through a flux capacitor connected to a wireless voltage intensifier, so my mains is much better than the crap you guys are getting from the national grid :laugh:

I've got one not for the amazing clarity it brings to my system (what hifi...lol) but because its a good quality 6 way mains block, I couldn't tell the diffrence when I put mine on, but my mains go through a flux capacitor connected to a wireless voltage intensifier, so my mains is much better than the crap you guys are getting from the national grid :laugh:

Ha ha,
My Tacima is used for the laptop and a lamp.

It made NO difference at all. Mind you saying that,I think I might get a better quality of light from the lamp.

My flux capacitor has gone in for repair. I tried running it without 1.21gigawatts of power and it seized up :(

My flux capacitor has gone in for repair. I tried running it without 1.21gigawatts of power and it seized up :(

Man are you stark raving mad you could have caused a time rift and sent the world back to the 70's and instead of my MRX I would have a sansui amp, graphic equaliser, reel2reel and warfdale dentons..........please only run it with the full 1.21 gigawatts next time.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom