ANTHEM MRX 1120 - Is it a good combination for KLIPSCH home cinema speakers

krassmir

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am new here and new in the world of high quality sound.
But I am a huge fan of HBO, NETFLIX and Amazon prime movies as well as high quality music lover.
I have finally got the chance and possibility to create a home cinema room of about 40 square meters, and I already purchased the main items for it… i.e. the home cinema speakers.
I decided to buy the whole set of speakers and subwoofers of KLIPSCH and I already have:
  • 2 subwoofers of KLIPSCH SPL 150
  • 1 central speaker KLIPSCH RC-64III
  • 2 floor standing speakers KLIPSCH RP 8060 FA
  • 2 Rear Speakers Black KLIPSCH RP-502S
I read a lot about pre-amplifiers, power amplifiers etc, and I reached the opinion that for such set of home cinema speakers the right item for amplification would be to buy Anthem MRX 1120.
May I ask all of you, experienced in this vast field of sound technology for an advice? Am I doing the right decision?
I am also planning to buy a high quality turntable most probably Pro-Ject brand. Will it be a good combination with Anthem and Klipsch?
Thanks a lot for the attention!

Did you listen to other speaker brands rather than klipsch?

Did you listen to other speaker brands rather than klipsch?
Honestly, yes. FOCAL has an impressive sound. But since I read all over the forums that Klispsch are the best for home cinema, decided to use them.
However, I am still thinking that for the listening of the turntable vinyl records, I can equip my living room with Ttiangle, or Sonus Faber floor standing speakers.
If the A/V receiver gives the possibility to use different zones, may be it worth buying a high end one and connect different speakers?

I don't think there is any clear consensus around which are the 'best speakers' and I personally would not naturally have considered Klipsch at first instance, but the main thing is that you have personally demoed and approved them when a lot of people just go with third party recommendation.

Your a bit short on details in terms of what sort of room you want it to be but a couple of general points:

40m2 is a large room compared to the average build at least in the UK. At the moment you appear to be planning around a 5.2 layout which is pretty basic these days. I think most people presented with such a grand space would take the opportunity to be a bit more expansive.

If your happy with 5.2 then the Anthem 1120 is a bit overkill given that it offers 11 amp channels.

No idea about turntables

I don't think there is any clear consensus around which are the 'best speakers' and I personally would not naturally have considered Klipsch at first instance, but the main thing is that you have personally demoed and approved them when a lot of people just go with third party recommendation.

Your a bit short on details in terms of what sort of room you want it to be but a couple of general points:

40m2 is a large room compared to the average build at least in the UK. At the moment you appear to be planning around a 5.2 layout which is pretty basic these days. I think most people presented with such a grand space would take the opportunity to be a bit more expansive.

If your happy with 5.2 then the Anthem 1120 is a bit overkill given that it offers 11 amp channels.

No idea about turntables
Thanks for the opinion!
To say it honestly, the more I have been trying to get in contact with the representatives of Anthem all over their European offices the more I have been realizing that choosing Anthem is not a good idea at all. Not because of the quality but because of the very weak service provided. In fact none of the European offices of Anthem has even replied to me on my request to order that receiver. I cannot imagine what will happen if one day I may need a maintenance service from them.
As for the home cinema, I am going to install top speakers in the ceiling and will happen 7.2 or may be 9.2. And the more I am reading the more I am getting convinced to purchase "Denon AVC-X6700H" which as per "WHAT HI-FI?" and other magazines is awarded as the best A/V receiver presently on the market. At least Denon has full maintenance service all over Europe and UK.
I would appreciate your opinion on that option.

Thanks for the opinion!
To say it honestly, the more I have been trying to get in contact with the representatives of Anthem all over their European offices the more I have been realizing that choosing Anthem is not a good idea at all. Not because of the quality but because of the very weak service provided. In fact none of the European offices of Anthem has even replied to me on my request to order that receiver. I cannot imagine what will happen if one day I may need a maintenance service from them.
As for the home cinema, I am going to install top speakers in the ceiling and will happen 7.2 or may be 9.2. And the more I am reading the more I am getting convinced to purchase "Denon AVC-X6700H" which as per "WHAT HI-FI?" and other magazines is awarded as the best A/V receiver presently on the market. At least Denon has full maintenance service all over Europe and UK.
I would appreciate your opinion on that option.
I think that sounds like a solid plan especially if this is your first room. I've been using a fairly basic Marantz and still get very good results with M&K speakers. There seem to be a lot of bugs with the current Anthems and Arcams whilst Marantz/Denon are very reliable.

I would try Yamaha, probably better sonic match for Klipsch (denon and klipsch possibly too clinical)

I would try Yamaha, probably better sonic match for Klipsch (denon and klipsch possibly too clinical)
Thanks for the suggestion! "Too clinical" - what exactly do you mean?
As for Yamaha ... no idea about it! Everywhere I looked for high quality home cinema A/V receivers. I met the fantastic four: "Anthem and Arcam against Marantz and Denon". As I already wrote in my previous post, we shall leave Anthem and Arcam for the Americans thus we remain with Marantz and Denon. Can you suggest any model of Yamaha enabling me to check it out?

I think that sounds like a solid plan especially if this is your first room. I've been using a fairly basic Marantz and still get very good results with M&K speakers. There seem to be a lot of bugs with the current Anthems and Arcams whilst Marantz/Denon are very reliable.
Indeed it is my first room. And I am happy to hear your supportive opinion about the reliability of Marantz and Denon. I only cannot understand how such reputable magazine az "What Hi-Fi?" gave much higher rating to the Denon model "Denon AVC-X6700H" than to their flagman "Denon AVC-X8500H". And if I shall rely on them ... that is going to save me a serious amount of money buying me a much higher quality of a turntable for free. :) :)

Thanks for the suggestion! "Too clinical" - what exactly do you mean?
As for Yamaha ... no idea about it! Everywhere I looked for high quality home cinema A/V receivers. I met the fantastic four: "Anthem and Arcam against Marantz and Denon". As I already wrote in my previous post, we shall leave Anthem and Arcam for the Americans thus we remain with Marantz and Denon. Can you suggest any model of Yamaha enabling me to check it out?
I believe that some combinations of receiver and speaker are considered to produce a sound that is quite accurate and precise but lacking 'warmth' which is obviously a subjective term. When I selected my M&K speakers I was advised to avoid Denon for the same reason and instead go with Marantz which I did. I assume a similar situation with Klipsch?

Klipsch have aggressive and forward sound and Denon forward and clinical too. Could be too much.

For example I have some ruark speakers with audiolab bit too bright and sibilant but with Yamaha and with ypao it sorted it

Klipsch have aggressive and forward sound and Denon forward and clinical too. Could be too much.

For example I have some ruark speakers with audiolab bit too bright and sibilant but with Yamaha and with ypao it sorted it
I shall definitely keep your opinion in mind!
I shall have a look at the latest reviews for Marantz and Yamaha. At first glance I noticed Marantz has released a 2020 model Marantz SR8015.

I believe that some combinations of receiver and speaker are considered to produce a sound that is quite accurate and precise but lacking 'warmth' which is obviously a subjective term. When I selected my M&K speakers I was advised to avoid Denon for the same reason and instead go with Marantz which I did. I assume a similar situation with Klipsch?
I shall definitely keep your opinion in mind!
I shall have a look at the latest reviews for Marantz and Yamaha. At first glance I noticed Marantz has released a 2020 model Marantz SR8015.

The latest RP range doesn´t have aggressive or overly bright (harsh) sound, some claim it´s most laid back Klipsches in ages but with great dynamics. Of course room matters big time so preferably plenty of soft furnishing, curtains, rug/carpet in front of speakers etc. I believe the issues lie here often.

Denon and Marantz both have the same Reference target curve option under the XT32 which rolls off the high frequencies. This is still option. Both of these brands are used often with latest Klipsches without issues so i wouldn´t diss them completely. The new Yamaha models looks intresting too.

"The first thing to note is how remarkably flat the direct axis response is. For all of Klipsch’s reputation of having sizzling hot treble, it just isn’t here. This is a very neutral response."

"In fact, in my listening, I wouldn’t have characterized the speaker as ‘bright’, although not ‘warm’ either. It sounded neutral to my ears, and that is basically what is being displayed in these measurements."

The latest RP range doesn´t have aggressive or overly bright (harsh) sound, some claim it´s most laid back Klipsches in ages but with great dynamics. Of course room matters big time so preferably plenty of soft furnishing, curtains, rug/carpet in front of speakers etc. I believe the issues lie here often.

Denon and Marantz both have the same Reference target curve option under the XT32 which rolls off the high frequencies. This is still option. Both of these brands are used often with latest Klipsches without issues so i wouldn´t diss them completely. The new Yamaha models looks intresting too.

"The first thing to note is how remarkably flat the direct axis response is. For all of Klipsch’s reputation of having sizzling hot treble, it just isn’t here. This is a very neutral response."

"In fact, in my listening, I wouldn’t have characterized the speaker as ‘bright’, although not ‘warm’ either. It sounded neutral to my ears, and that is basically what is being displayed in these measurements."

Marantz AVRs do have HF roll off.

Many thanks for the professional explanation and the very wide review on the speakers!
I already have received the "RP8060 FA" and just for the record, here in Europe the cheapest pair you could find was for about 2500 USD.
For the sound quality I cannot say a word as I still have not decided which of the two A/V receivers to buy: "Marantz SR8015" or "Denon AVC-X6700H". Most probably, after the given advices in that forum, Marantz will be the final choice.
While I have read such a detailed review on the Klipsch speakers, allow me to ask your opinion for the "Klipsch PRO-180RPC"? Shall I install 4 of them on the ceiling? Or after having spent so much for the "RP8060 FA" to put just two over the siting area? Useless to mention that "RP 502 S" will soon join the group :):):)

Marantz AVRs do have HF roll off.
Not anymore in 7015/8015. 6014 had.

Many thanks for the professional explanation and the very wide review on the speakers!
I already have received the "RP8060 FA" and just for the record, here in Europe the cheapest pair you could find was for about 2500 USD.
For the sound quality I cannot say a word as I still have not decided which of the two A/V receivers to buy: "Marantz SR8015" or "Denon AVC-X6700H". Most probably, after the given advices in that forum, Marantz will be the final choice.
While I have read such a detailed review on the Klipsch speakers, allow me to ask your opinion for the "Klipsch PRO-180RPC"? Shall I install 4 of them on the ceiling? Or after having spent so much for the "RP8060 FA" to put just two over the siting area? Useless to mention that "RP 502 S" will soon join the group :):):)

Both receivers will be great options. Marantz has a toroidal transformer and larger capacitors so bit more "beefier", probably not going to make that much difference though. Those Klipsches are quite easy load.

Those ceiling speakers look nice if you want "matching" speakers in the ceiling. You can however use some cheaper in-ceiling (8" drivers) model too from other brand, most people have different brand overhead speakers. If you have space behind couch then by all means get the 4, so one pair slightly in front and second pair behind listeners. See the correct angles below.

Remember to mount the RP-502S roughly at seated ear height, not much higher cause you want separation to overhead channels! If they will be very close to listeners then little bit higher.

Many thanks for your reply! I am slowly, slowly understanding and realizing the small details of the creation of a proper well and high quality equipped home cinema room.
All the info given here was very, really very helpful for me. MANY MANY THANKS INDEED!
I feel like we finished with the whole sound equipment on a theory and now it is the time to order the Marantz receiver.
But I am again a bit puzzled after I notice that for some models of Marantz there is emphasized note that it is "Made in Japan" but for others not. Same is for Denon. How do you think? Can it be so that some of the flagman models are made in China instead of Japan?

Many thanks for your reply! I am slowly, slowly understanding and realizing the small details of the creation of a proper well and high quality equipped home cinema room.
All the info given here was very, really very helpful for me. MANY MANY THANKS INDEED!
I feel like we finished with the whole sound equipment on a theory and now it is the time to order the Marantz receiver.
But I am again a bit puzzled after I notice that for some models of Marantz there is emphasized note that it is "Made in Japan" but for others not. Same is for Denon. How do you think? Can it be so that some of the flagman models are made in China instead of Japan?

Yeah flagship models are made in Japan. Regarding Marantz the 8015 performed well but the 7015 didn't.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom