Anthem MRX 1120 11.2 Channel AV Receiver Review & Comments

That's true, actually. Probably could buy a laptop for next to nothing powerful enough to run it. The only PCs I have are my work laptop (which annoyingly I can't run or install anything on) or my old Vista desktop that apparently won't work. I'm sure I'll be able to borrow one if I need to. :)

That's true, actually. Probably could buy a laptop for next to nothing powerful enough to run it. The only PCs I have are my work laptop (which annoyingly I can't run or install anything on) or my old Vista desktop that apparently won't work. I'm sure I'll be able to borrow one if I need to. :)

Sounds like a plan. Yes Vista and ARC are not a good combination to say the least.

Nothing foolish about having a Mac. For the most part they are far more intuitive and user friendly than a Windows machine. Windows is just not a friendly experience but needed for certain pieces of software.

A Mac user myself but recently purchased a Windows machine for certain tasks.

Nothing foolish about having a Mac. For the most part they are far more intuitive and user friendly than a Windows machine. Windows is just not a friendly experience but needed for certain pieces of software.

A Mac user myself but recently purchased a Windows machine for certain tasks.
I so wanted that to be true, I spent a lot on it. But no. Never again, not for me.

It's a big downside to me that ARC needs Windows to run (sadly, I made the foolish mistake that everyone makes once in their life of buying a Mac :p), but would you say ARC is more user-doable than Dirac? I've little interest in having someone else set it up for me (weird as that sounds). It is, however, annoying that I couldn't fiddle with the room EQ (at software level) once it's in where I could with Dirac. But somehow ARC just appeals to me more.

I have owned a Arcam AVR550 for the past 3 months. I find the Dirac Live room correction extremely easy to setup and run. The program that runs on the Mac/PC even guides you through the process. I was thinking that running Dirac Live would have been difficult but it takes about 30 mins to do. I never thought the Arcam sounded boring as the Anthem dealer stated. Even before I ran the Dirac Live room correction I was pretty surprised how good the sound was un-optimized. I also like the fact that once the optimization is done and loaded I have the option to make adjustments after the fact if I desire. I also liked that I could run Dirac Live under OS X (Still don't understand why Anthem refuses to support OS X). Requiring a Windows PC really turned me off about the Anthem units. I suggest you find a Arcam dealer that will allow you to get a home demo of a unit. That is what I did before I decided to buy a unit. Just thought I would throw my $.02 in.

EDIT: I have had zero prior experience with Arcam gear. For me a home demo was essential.

EDIT2: I find it interesting that a dealer who does not carry Arcam gear making derogatory comments about Arcam gear. Any dealer that thinks promoting what they sell by posting comments that put down competing products that they don't sell, is a dealer I would be concerned buying a product from.

Last edited:
I'll take that bet.

For a lot of people Windows is preferred as that is what they are more familiar with using. There are a lot of people, like myself, who find OS X more user friendly vs Windows. I use both on a daily basis.

Last edited:
I have owned a Arcam AVR550 for the past 3 months. I find the Dirac Live room correction extremely easy to setup and run. The program that runs on the Mac/PC even guides you through the process. I was thinking that running Dirac Live would have been difficult but it takes about 30 mins to do. I never thought the Arcam sounded boring as the Anthem dealer stated. Even before I ran the Dirac Live room correction I was pretty surprised how good the sound was un-optimized. I also like the fact that once the optimization is done and loaded I have the option to make adjustments after the fact if I desire. I also liked that I could run Dirac Live under OS X (Still don't understand why Anthem refuses to support OS X). Requiring a Windows PC really turned me off about the Anthem units. I suggest you find a Arcam dealer that will allow you to get a home demo of a unit. That is what I did before I decided to buy a unit. Just thought I would throw my $.02 in.

EDIT: I have had zero prior experience with Arcam gear. For me a home demo was essential.

EDIT2: I find it interesting that a dealer who does not carry Arcam gear making derogatory comments about Arcam gear. Any dealer that thinks promoting what they sell by posting comments that put down competing products that they don't sell, is a dealer I would be concerned buying a product from.

Nonsense. I was asked a question and gave my opinion. I only supply and recommend equipment that I would use myself. This is an Anthem thread, not an Arcam thread which I don't post in for that very reason.

If I wanted to supply Arcam I could, but I chose not too. I also don't promote certain products that I have access to as I personally wouldn't use them. Surely, that is better than just shifting whatever products I can? Integrity?

Nonsense. I was asked a question and gave my opinion. I only supply and recommend equipment that I would use myself. This is an Anthem thread, not an Arcam thread which I don't post in for that very reason.

If I wanted to supply Arcam I could, but I chose not too. I also don't promote certain products that I have access to as I personally wouldn't use them. Surely, that is better than just shifting whatever products I can? Integrity?

Not non-sense. There was a discussion about Arcam and what did you do, put the Arcam product down. You are representing yourself as the dealer of Anthem which you clearly have stated. Any dealer who had integrity would not denograte a product that they do not carry. It is too bad that you chose to do so.

Last edited:
The Anthem sounds detailed and clean. Doesn't add anything to the signal.
THIS is exactly why I love it. I don't even use ARC as I just love the way it sounds raw. Dynamic, clean and pure, no useless gadgets just great SQ as simple as that.

Not non-sense. There was a discussion about Arcam and what did you do, put the Arcam product down. You are representing yourself as the dealer of Anthem which you clearly have stated. Any dealer who had integrity would not denograte a product that they do not carry. It is too bad that you chose to do so.

So how am I to respond to a direct question about my views on the Arcam?
Or do I just remain silent? This I a forum and I clearly stated that it was MY personal opinion.

It is an honest answer. I've personally owned several Arcam receivers over the years. I've heard several demos of the new receivers. It's not something I would install for a client.

I don't carry Procella speakers but love them, at I don't supply Trinnov processors but I think they are amazing that I plan to sometime next year.

I answered that I didn't believe they were reliable enough from personal experience and I don't particularly like the Arcam sound.

This isn't to say that other folk have the same views that I do. Just because I'm a dealer doesn't take away the right for me to have an opinion when asked a direct question.

Mods if you feel my comments re the Arcam in the above posts were inappropriate, please delete accordingly.

Regards

Rich

So how am I to respond to a direct question about my views on the Arcam?
Or do I just remain silent? This I a forum and I clearly stated that it was MY personal opinion.

It is an honest answer. I've personally owned several Arcam receivers over the years. I've heard several demos of the new receivers. It's not something I would install for a client.

I don't carry Procella speakers but love them, at I don't supply Trinnov processors but I think they are amazing that I plan to sometime next year.

I answered that I didn't believe they were reliable enough from personal experience and I don't particularly like the Arcam sound.

This isn't to say that other folk have the same views that I do. Just because I'm a dealer doesn't take away the right for me to have an opinion when asked a direct question.

Mods if you feel my comments re the Arcam in the above posts were inappropriate, please delete accordingly.

Regards

Rich

Take a look again on how you posted:
The Anthems are very very good receivers. We've had several on dem and they haven't disappointed.

We are now running the AVM60 and it sounds fabulous.

Not a lover of the new Arcams by any means.

This was not in response to any question asked of you. You volunteered it. it was quite suspicious, how in the same post, you boost a product you do carry and put down another product for which you don't carry. You are clearly representing yourself as a dealer of Anthem products. That is the part that you seem to fail to understand. Would Anthem allow you to continue to be an Anthem dealer if you started posting derogatory comments about Anthem products. That is because you are posting as a dealer of said product. And please don't deny that you posting here is not partly due to you possibly snagging a new customer that might want to purchase an Anthem product. What better way to steer someone towards Anthem products and possibly away from a Arcam product. And there are people posting/reading an Anthem thread sometimes doing research on products they are considering buying.

Last edited:
Take a look again on how you posted:

This was not in response to any question asked of you. You volunteered it. it was quite suspicious, how in the same post, you boost a product you do carry and put down another product for which you don't carry. You are clearly representing yourself as a dealer of Anthem products. That is the part that you seem to fail to understand. Would Anthem allow you to continue to be an Anthem dealer if you started posting derogatory comments about Anthem products. That is because you are posting as a dealer of said product. And please don't deny that you posting here is not partly due to you possibly snagging a new customer that might want to purchase an Anthem product. What better way to steer someone towards Anthem products and possibly away from a Arcam product. And there are people posting/reading an Anthem thread sometimes doing research on products they are considering buying.
l
Let's not derail this thread any further.
I don't "personally" recommend Arcam though many others do. I'm sure folk are well informed enough and will read my opinions and just that, opinions.

I recommend Anthem, Denon, Marantz, Trinnov, Audio Control and several other receivers/processors.

Trust me, I'm really not that desperate for a sale as to damage my reputation on here.

I suggest we move on and I won't mention Arcam again.

Mods please delete any posts that have offended the above as that as not my intention and I will keep my opinions to myself.

Regards

For a lot of people Windows is preferred as that is what they are more familiar with using. There are a lot of people, like myself, who find OS X more user friendly vs Windows. I use both on a daily basis.

It's applies to most people, there's over 2x the amount of Windows OS users. I've been using both OS since the days of desktop publishing being Mac only, before you could buy them in the shops.

It's easier to code and deploy firmware on an IBM machine, this is why they're used primarily in sat nav, telco, AV and other comms industries. The whole 'it just works' mac mantra hasn't been applicable since win7. Now, I might use a mac for video editing and maybe for sound they do have an advantage there imo - but that's pretty much where it's strong points end on functionality - there isn't exactly a massive influx of mac gamers as it's a ballache to write games within Apple's rules.

PBK which is ARC's mother program, was Mac OS compatible and before ARCm1 it was a much more complex program which btw is no longer officially supported from win8 onward due to driver signing - why Anthem still doesn't support Mac Os could be down to anything from laziness on their part to Apples closed off eco system.

Regardless - it should work on both - but bootcamp etc is the only way forward as of now.

I don't want to be a smart a..e nor get involved but this is an Anthem tread so yes typically you will find happy owners/dealers here who would recommend the product, for any comparison a new thread should be opened IMO. I for one am very happy that I chose the 720 over the competition and saved some cash too however I know the other brand is excellent too. When I asked my dealer the same question about the two his answer was "why would you go with a boutique brand and pay more for very similar performance and worse reliability?" Here you go this is my take on this:)

PS I am in IT and we generally stay clear of anything Apple to avoid complications;)

This was not in response to any question asked of you. You volunteered it. it was quite suspicious, how in the same post, you boost a product you do carry and put down another product for which you don't carry.

Not directly, but it was pertinent to previous posts. Since anyone and his dog can get an Arcam account it makes the conspiracy argument redundant. Your definition of something being put down is so overly sensitive it makes me wonder if you weren't frothing at the mouth in your Arcam pj's, you come across as a scorned fanboy tbh.

I like the idea of the Arcam, I haven't made my mind up on the sound yet as demos have been for me, disastrous to quite good. Since Athem haven't done anything to ARC except tweak it for Atmos one must then turn to what they've brought to the table this time round - at least the stuff that matters, right?

The processor is a scaled down version of the AVM50 with tweaked ARC - that's pretty badass by all standards - I am not a fan of them cutting the cost to the customer by using the mk2 chassis - I think it was a bit cheap and something Arcam generally speaking don't skimp on.

But on the other hand the Anthem is more suitable for those who want minimal fuss and a bit more flexibility, the Athems thus far have tended to be a bit more stable than the Arcams also. It's a tricky balancing act when you weigh it all up as I like both for different reasons and it makes the choice a little difficult.

Yes, I could buy something like a Trinnov (just, it would ruin me) but I don't like movies that much - so it's difficult for someone like myself. I'd like to see Denon follow Pioneers alleged upcoming dirac enabled AVR.

I understand that every thread probably has some sort of pro-counter-con arguments going on. Which is not unusual to other websites as well. My issue is not with any of that, as people who are not representing themselves as dealers, have varied opinions on what is pro and what is con. My issue was with a dealer who is giving advice out why a certain product is con when they are not selling that product. It comes across as trying to push people towards a product that they sell. It is kind of like a manufacturer posting and saying some unkind things about a competitors product so that they can boost their product.

Not directly, but it was pertinent to previous posts. Since anyone and his dog can get an Arcam account it makes the conspiracy argument redundant. Your definition of something being put down is so overly sensitive it makes me wonder if you weren't frothing at the mouth in your Arcam pj's, you come across as a scorned fanboy tbh.

I like the idea of the Arcam, I haven't made my mind up on the sound yet as demos have been for me, disastrous to quite good. Since Athem haven't done anything to ARC except tweak it for Atmos one must then turn to what they've brought to the table this time round - at least the stuff that matters, right?

The processor is a scaled down version of the AVM50 with tweaked ARC - that's pretty badass by all standards - I am not a fan of them cutting the cost to the customer by using the mk2 chassis - I think it was a bit cheap and something Arcam generally speaking don't skimp on.

But on the other hand the Anthem is more suitable for those who want minimal fuss and a bit more flexibility, the Athems thus far have tended to be a bit more stable than the Arcams also. It's a tricky balancing act when you weigh it all up as I like both for different reasons and it makes the choice a little difficult.

Yes, I could buy something like a Trinnov (just, it would ruin me) but I don't like movies that much - so it's difficult for someone like myself. I'd like to see Denon follow Pioneers alleged upcoming dirac enabled AVR.

Choices are always great because we need products at different price points. Something for everyone, essentially. I own an Anyhem CD player, the tube output CD-1 CD player. Love the way it sounds for CDs. Built by Sonic Frontiers when they owned Anthem. Anthem builds great sounding and well built gear. When I was shopping for a receiver a couple of months ago, the MRX 1120 or AVM-60 were the units I was considering. I was even attempting to get a home demo (proving not that easy base on the available dealers in my area and what they had ordered). My only turn off about the Anthen units was no OS X support. I could have worked around that no doubt. But I ended up with the Arcam and that is that.

I really like the idea of a less expensive receiver that uses Dirac Live, in the form of Pioneer. I know that there is the Emotive XMC-1 as well that also incorporates Dirac Lite and offers Dirac Live. Dirac Live is a really great room correction that I find easy to use, and affords a lot of flexibility.

Last edited:
It comes across as trying to push people towards a product that they sell. It is kind of like a manufacturer posting and saying some unkind things about a competitors product so that they can boost their product.

Recently one of the moderators was told because he was a moderator he couldn't have certain opinions - you can imagine how well that went down.

I agree with you - plenty of retailers rubbish other manufacturers for self gain, but like it or not that is how a lot of business works, it it right? no.. but lots of things aren't. Your assumption in this case isn't one of these scenarios. Just felt it needed to be said as we share a friend in common who owns a 550.

Recently one of the moderators was told because he was a moderator he couldn't have certain opinions - you can imagine how well that went down.

I agree with you - plenty of retailers rubbish other manufacturers for self gain, but like it or not that is how a lot of business works, it it right? no.. but lots of things aren't. Your assumption in this case isn't one of these scenarios. Just felt it needed to be said as we share a friend in common who owns a 550.

Okay fair enough.

My only turn off about the Anthen units was no OS X support. I could have worked around that no doubt. But I ended up with the Arcam and that is that.

Fine, your choice but considering how easily that's worked around it seems more like stubbornness - I would have gone for raw sound quality etc rather than software compatibility, I mean how often are you going to EQ your room, maybe also have squeezed the dealer to offset the cost for bootcamp?

I haven't heard the new Anthem's but I know the last gen and the den before that. I've owned Arcam, sold it and repaired it over the years but I find myself torn for all the reasons mentioned already - it's actually getting a little annoying to the point where I'm keeping my options open with 11ch of dedicated power amp.

well as I said there are good reasons why a company would stay away from Apple products. We develop for Android first then only convert to Apple only if there is that requirement, the lack of that support can be easily overcome anyway.

Fine, your choice but considering how easily that's worked around it seems more like stubbornness - I would have gone for raw sound quality etc rather than software compatibility, I mean how often are you going to EQ your room, maybe also have squeezed the dealer to offset the cost for bootcamp?

I haven't heard the new Anthem's but I know the last gen and the den before that. I've owned Arcam, sold it and repaired it over the years but I find myself torn for all the reasons mentioned already - it's actually getting a little annoying to the point where I'm keeping my options open with 11ch of dedicated power amp.

My plan was to demo the Anthem units but as I said I was having a little bit of difficulty getting a home demo. I probably would not have bought the Arcam without a home demo which also very difficult to get. The dealer that I found was 118 miles away from me. I had zero experience with Arcam gear and given how expensive it is I was not going to buy it blind. I use Windows so I could have easily worked around that. I use both Windows and OS X everyday. If the Arcam did not work out for me then I would have been back on the home demo hunt for the Anthem MRX or AVM.

Yeah it's very hard to get home demos with high end gear unless you have a trusted dealer and you are a regular customer. I have the opposite issue these days my dealer keeps pushing me to take stuff home and I keep refusing, spent too much lately :) His latest attempt was to give me a Sony 520ES for few days which I had a very hard time refusing.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom