Anthem D2V Processor and A5 Amplifier Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Nick Peacock, 10th November 2010.
First of all, I would like to add TV and DVD to the Anthems list of strengths. Many recent receivers seem to be optimised for Blu-ray sources, and sound compromised with anything else, but the Anthems make everything look and sound good.
Read the full review...

Very thorough and interesting review Nick. Couldn't see the price anywhere though? £8,995 from a bit of Googling?

Thank you Nick for the exhaustive and positive review.

Just a clarification regarding the sample rates ARC can operate with:

The D2v, which replaced the D2 in Jan 2009 and has four DSP cores instead of two, accepts 192k (8 channels). It does not necessarily down-convert for ARC, only doing so when certain other processes are on, namely Dolby Volume* and/or THX. The mandate was to keep sample rate native where possible, and to use the highest possible when down-res is unavoidable.

*which is very intensive, requiring conversion all the way to 48k.

Best Regards,
Nick

Will the ARC used with the MRX series of AV receivers use the same tech and calibrated mic?

The D2v, which replaced the D2 in Jan 2009 and has four DSP cores instead of two, accepts 192k (8 channels). It does not necessarily down-convert for ARC, only doing so when certain other processes are on, namely Dolby Volume* and/or THX. The mandate was to keep sample rate native where possible, and to use the highest possible when down-res is unavoidable.
Thanks for the clarification. My comments about the sample rate came from the Anthem ARC datasheet which states:
ARC applies Correction for up to 7 channels plus the subwoofer, operating on all analogue and digital sources at 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz , 88.2 kHz and 96 kHz without reducing bit rate.
The context of the comment was to underline just how difficult it is to pick holes in the D2v's capabilities, not to highlight them.

I notice that the datasheet refers to the D1 and D2 processors, so I assume the D2v has greater capability there?

Nick

Will the ARC used with the MRX series of AV receivers use the same tech and calibrated mic?
There's a new thread on the MRX receivers at another well-known forum, and Nick@Anthem gave this response:
Q: How does the MRX 300/500/700 ARC implementation compare to D2v/AVM50v?

A: ARC consists of software that runs on a user-supplied computer which calculates a room correction solution and a DSP chip in the receiver which implements it. The ARC software is the same for all Anthem A/V receivers and processors. The MRX DSP is about half as powerful as in the D2v/AVM50v.

Nick @ Anthem elaborates:
MRX 300/500/700 DSP has around the same amount of number crunching ability as anything in the price range, which is around half as much as AVM/D prepros using ARC (and PBK for that matter), which have as much as pro systems in the five figures. This means that MRX 300/500/700 corrected response usually does not meet target response as closely as AVM/D, thought it's also usually not too far off.
The other difference is that correction range not only defaults to 5 kHz but cannot be made to go higher. Correction above 5 kHz is not normally recommended regardless.
Another difference not dependent on ARC is that MRX DSP uses crossover frequencies of 60, 80, 100, 120, and 150 whereas AVM/D allows 25-160 in 5 Hz steps. It relates because ARC selects the crossover frequencies based on in-room measured response.
The practical difference depends on the amount of correction the room speaker/combo needs, and this varies greatly. MRX-ARC still improves things regardless, using the same principles as the other ARC.
I intended to mention that the AVM/D2/D2v thread over there is the longest I've ever seen on any board, and probably answers every conceivable and inconceivable question out there.

Nick

Thanks for the excellent review Nick.

I was told that the Anthem blew away the ADA so it is nice to read a unbiased review which shows that it is not the case.
It is great to get reviews on the high end kit as the magazines seem to shy away from kit at this price point.

cheers
Darren

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom