Anthem AVM90 or Trinnov altitude 16?

Arkanon

Standard Member
Reaction score
I had planned to get an AVM90 for my new home cinema but seems like a mission impossible so I’m considering a Trinnov Altitude 16 instead or possibly even an Acuras that will go well (apparently) with my speakers

experiences and thoughts? Hold out for the AVM90 or go Trinnov?

I would go Trinnov or Storm. Otherwise looks at the options in the cheaper AVM-70 price range.

The AVM90 may will probably be good and although cheaper would be missing the upgradeability, high channel count, channel monitor, config flexiblity and digital options of the the Trinnov (Or Storm)

Well isnt the Trinnov double the price of the AVM90 ? I mean if you could swing it I would definitely get the Trinnov.

Trinnov all day long.

i am yet to see justification of the avm90 being twice price or $5.5k over AVM70... having seen pictures of both under hood...they literally look almost identical under skin. slight variation of number of subs, an uprated dac. cant see much more in it over avm70. so would just get the avm70 instead...

one other possible thing to consider is speaker arrangements the anthem support vs say something like tronnov...see the hand list krobar posted on avs,

the Trinnov literally does everything ! it is too rich for my boots so I went marantz av8805 instead...skipped the anthem given how restricted it is in both processing and speaker support.

may or may not be a consideration but worth looking into...

I never updated the list but I think I'm right in saying Anthem have not yet enabled DTS:X Pro either so it currently looks like this:

Key - DTS:X Pro / Auro / CH+VOG / VOG Only / CH Only

Denon / Marantz - Most 13 Channel models - Yes / Yes / Yes (7.1.4+) / Yes (7.1.4+) / Yes (7.1.4+)
Trinnov Altitude - Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes
Storm Audio Mk2 - Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes / Yes
Arcam / JBL Synth / Audiocontrol - Current Models - Soon? / Yes / Yes / No / No
Anthem - 2020 Models - Soon / No / No / No / No
Monoprice HTP-1 - Soon / Yes / No / No /No

Just wondering if this is a serious question? Trinnov is in a different ballpark.

No one's even asked you what speakers you have, how much you value music over movies or vice versa or given you the option of the Lyngdorf MP60.

Money no object in an Av knife fight between Trinnov or Anthem, then obviously Trinnov, especially with the state of Anthem right now.

You can demo both the Lyngdorf MP60 and Trinnov ALT 16 at Seriously Cinema @Seriously Ltd

No one's even asked you what speakers you have, how much you value music over movies or vice versa or given you the option of the Lyngdorf MP60.

Money no object in an Av knife fight between Trinnov or Anthem, then obviously Trinnov, especially with the state of Anthem right now.

You can demo both the Lyngdorf MP60 and Trinnov ALT 16 at Seriously Cinema @Seriously Ltd
I'm going Trinnov.... too many comments and feedback from multiple sources to not do so.

Wish I could afford Trinnov😒

Rumor is the AVM90 is delayed to like Oct/21 so you might be waiting awhile

I think the Monoprice HTP1 is an excellent value proposition in the 16 channel processor market, and worth considering.
Agreed, like anthem that had its issues at the start. It’s a case of perseverance...with the new stuff. Nothing is launched bug free it appears.

I'm going Trinnov.... too many comments and feedback from multiple sources to not do so.
Which variant ? Came across this extra box - this is the dac to drool over :thumbsup:

The ones with digital out AES3 to digital input power amps are a cut above analogue balanced xlr's theoretically :) Lyngdorf for one thinks so certainly..
The alt 16 needs an upgrade for this it seems ?
DCI COMPLIANT AES3: DB25
  • Altitude 32 8-8: 8-Ch (Upgradable to 16)
  • Altitude 32 8-16: 8-Ch (Upgradable to 16)
  • Altitude 32 16-24: 16-Ch
  • Altitude 32 16-32: 16-Ch

I have 9.2.6. I have to use wide synth to get anything out of the wides and top middles.

Mixers don't use them. Until they do, we're kind of just connecting wires for the sake of connecting wires.

I have 9.2.6. I have to use wide synth to get anything out of the wides and top middles.

Mixers don't use them. Until they do, we're kind of just connecting wires for the sake of connecting wires.
Wides and top middles are used on all dts tracks using DTSX pro.

Dolby Atmos uses them on around 30-40% of tracks.

Wides and top middles are used on all dts tracks using DTSX pro.

Dolby Atmos uses them on around 30-40% of tracks.
I have top middles too in my 13.4.6 room, but lately Trinnov has recommended putting a T (VOG) and Ch (center height) speaker after top fronts and top rears in their universal placement recommendations. While the former is useful for an Auro setup, they're recommending those speakers because of DTS:X Pro and IMAX Enhanced.

They seem to be reserving the top middles to configurations with 8 heights on their more recent white papers as well as the implementation on TCD (The Cedia Designer). At least one the rooms I've tried simulating (mine, with a single row of seats) on TCD.

There's a fair number of movies that just have a static pair of overheads that default to the top middles (i.e. Saving Private Ryan) and are 7.x.2. However, with the two pairs of tops you have that .2 split between the front and rear. If one were channel strapped and wanted the T and Ch speakers, I could see removing the top middles, but adding to a .6 system with the middles won't do harm.

I agree about wides, and if you have both top middles and wides, DTS:X Pro will upmix and use them, as well as any other speakers that fall into their layout format.

I have top middles too in my 13.4.6 room, but lately Trinnov has recommended putting a T (VOG) and Ch (center height) speaker after top fronts and top rears in their universal placement recommendations. While the former is useful for an Auro setup, they're recommending those speakers because of DTS:X Pro and IMAX Enhanced.

After a LOT of research for 7.1.6 it’s Ts(VOG) and Ch arrangement is what I went for when going beyond 7.1.4 ! And it has been no looking back !

Dts-x pro/neural X uses the full speaker set for everything ! If I want I can even use neural -x up mixing to take the atmos to 7.1.6 with this arrangement. And yes this arrangement is also suitable for auro3D and imax and I also use it for pcm sources of which there are a lot of watching streamed material.

Where I find the Ts(VOG) really useful is it’s a true top height directly over main listening position. So the system doesn’t have to do a phantom top surround and there is a lot of top surround material I can say. This speaker is lot more useful than top middles which if working and they often are not still have to do a phantom Top surround

The Ch is a whole another story. Where I always felt a gap in front stage for height info where height info in 7.1.4 is always more located around main listening area. With the Ch speaker that gap in sound stage is filled. That’s also not being “virtually” done but with real speaker there. What I have found is it literally also lifts the front stage giving some magnificent scale and height !

For music and auro3D these very much come into their own ! With concerts and such that have noticed these play quite a part in the sound field

@sdrucker I wasn’t aware of trinnovs specific recommendation when decided to go this way. Is there a link to these and/or white papers mentioned. Be good for my own learning to read.

But on face of it I can totally appreciate the recommendation of theirs for Ts(vog) and Ch over top middles and reserving them to very large rooms and installations with 8 heights abs such !

For music and auro3D these very much come into their own ! With concerts and such that have noticed these play quite a part in the sound field

@sdrucker I wasn’t aware of trinnovs specific recommendation when decided to go this way. Is there a link to these and/or white papers mentioned. Be good for my own learning to read.

But on face of it I can totally appreciate the recommendation of theirs for Ts(vog) and Ch over top middles and reserving them to very large rooms and installations with 8 heights abs such !
From the Trinnov 2020 loudspeaker guide on their website, it looks like they recommend top middles in a minimal recommended layout with at least two rows. It's pretty technical reading, but you can start on p. 20 of their guide:

One strange thing I see: I ran TCD four days ago on v.2.8, which is where I drew the recommendation for my room. But I just reran the same room with v2.9 of their software and it's back to telling me to have top middles rather than T and Ch, assuming the high channel count option, with six heights. Unfortunately I didn't save the setting but just copied down azimuth and elevation, so I wonder if it was specific to another setting I've since forgotten. Go figure.

Last edited:
On the subject of CH/VOG might be worth mentioning that they are not upmixed to when using DTS:X content (unlike top mids) or at least that seems to be the case with Storm and Lyngdorf implementations.

With a 9.1.6 theater (traditional 7.1 plus wides, 4 top front/rear ceiling speakers, CH and VOG) will the Lyngdorf MP60, Storm MK2, and Trinnov perform equally well as far as speaker activity and steering to the wides, CH and VOG? Especially in light of DTS:X Pro and its Neural X upmixer, as well as the newest version of the Dolby upmixer, which I the Trinnov is getting shortly (and I can only assume the MP60 will eventually get).

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom