Anthem AVM70 & 90 Owners Thread

JemCollector

“And - I chose two different measurements in Arc - (2 different mlp) - how do i choose among them on AvM70?”

That’s under ‘Profiles‘ which is found in the ‘Speakers’ menu.

Garry123

Anyone with a PS5 connected to the AVM70? I want to connect my PS5 directly to the AVM70 to get rid of the sound not being in sync. I also want to use the PS5 without the amp, so I want to use the pass through feature on the AVM70. This means using the arc hdmi output on the amp to get a picture.

My problem is when I want to just use the TV speakers, as the pass through HDMI output on the amp is the arc hdmi to the TV, the amp turns on automatically when the TV switches to HDMI 2.

I thought I could have used one of the other hdmi outputs from the AVM70, but the pass though does not work with them.

If I turn CEC of on the AVM70 then all is fine. But that's a PITA and defeats the point of having a harmony remote. The Anthem 710 had a feature to stop the amp from being turned on by CEC.

JemCollector

I use the pass through feature with my Xbox One X. My processor also turns on whenever the Xbox input is activated and I agree that it is a pain. I haven’t discovered how to stop it from happening either.

Maybe it’s just ‘one of those things’ we have to bear, albeit grudgingly!

maxkolonko123

Anyone with a PS5 connected to the AVM70? I want to connect my PS5 directly to the AVM70 to get rid of the sound not being in sync. I also want to use the PS5 without the amp, so I want to use the pass through feature on the AVM70. This means using the arc hdmi output on the amp to get a picture.

My problem is when I want to just use the TV speakers, as the pass through HDMI output on the amp is the arc hdmi to the TV, the amp turns on automatically when the TV switches to HDMI 2.

I thought I could have used one of the other hdmi outputs from the AVM70, but the pass though does not work with them.

If I turn CEC of on the AVM70 then all is fine. But that's a PITA and defeats the point of having a harmony remote. The Anthem 710 had a feature to stop the amp from being turned on by CEC.

I use the pass through feature with my Xbox One X. My processor also turns on whenever the Xbox input is activated and I agree that it is a pain. I haven’t discovered how to stop it from happening either.

Maybe it’s just ‘one of those things’ we have to bear, albeit grudgingly!
Use Standby HDMI Bypass and switch off CEC, I have like this with my pc and ps5 and anthem is not switching with my ps5 or pc yet still sending sound through

DodgeTheViper

Is there anything in particular that you guys don’t like about the AVM70/90 ?

dolofsson

As a new user, I hear the fan. This is disturbing. Don't know if it's my unit only. I have it better vented now but still it comes on, and touching the unit don't feel any heat at all...

JemCollector

Feel free to ignore my thoughts on it as this is my first processor, but as far as I’m concerned it’s fantastic. Yes, there are a couple of things missing from what we were promised but I have no doubt that Anthem will sort them out in due course, and given that the past almost two years have been difficult (to put it mildly) for us all I’m prepared to cut them a little slack.

Sound-wise I think it’s incredible and the fact that I can control it completely from my iPad is a huge benefit to me. My room is about as far from ideal as you could possibly imagine but ARC Genesis worked it’s unfathomable wizardry and the result is sublime - powerful, crystal clear sound and a sense that I am in the middle of a bubble of sound; suffice to say I’m delighted with it.

DodgeTheViper

As a new user, I hear the fan. This is disturbing. Don't know if it's my unit only. I have it better vented now but still it comes on, and touching the unit don't feel any heat at all...
Do you have it in a unit that struggles with space or ventilation ?
Feel free to ignore my thoughts on it as this is my first processor, but as far as I’m concerned it’s fantastic. Yes, there are a couple of things missing from what we were promised but I have no doubt that Anthem will sort them out in due course, and given that the past almost two years have been difficult (to put it mildly) for us all I’m prepared to cut them a little slack.

Sound-wise I think it’s incredible and the fact that I can control it completely from my iPad is a huge benefit to me. My room is about as far from ideal as you could possibly imagine but ARC Genesis worked it’s unfathomable wizardry and the result is sublime - powerful, crystal clear sound and a sense that I am in the middle of a bubble of sound; suffice to say I’m delighted with it.
What are those things that are missing ?

And do you listen to music ?

rccarguy2

Hdmi 2.1 it's going to be payable upgrade for avm70 free on avm90

mossym

Distinguished Member
Almost a month into owning it, no complaints, have never heard the fan on mine, and the step up in performance was worth every penny. Certainly one of my better upgrades

DodgeTheViper

Almost a month into owning it, no complaints, have never heard the fan on mine, and the step up in performance was worth every penny. Certainly one of my better upgrades
Are you a music listener ?

mossym

Distinguished Member
I am indeed. Everything from jazz to rock to dance musicBear in mind I changed speakers as the same time. The speaker change had a much bigger impact, i lost some refinement for a lot more impact there, but I cannot fault the avm79 for music, it has a passthrough if you want to use an external dac, and I find the integration with my subs for music a big step forward. Very happy with it for music. I only use stereo for music though, unless the source is multichannel

DodgeTheViper

I am indeed. Everything from jazz to rock to dance musicBear in mind I changed speakers as the same time. The speaker change had a much bigger impact, i lost some refinement for a lot more impact there, but I cannot fault the avm79 for music, it has a passthrough if you want to use an external dac, and I find the integration with my subs for music a big step forward. Very happy with it for music. I only use stereo for music though, unless the source is multichannel
It’s the imaging that I’m interested in and how vocals and instruments portray themselves. Do vocals have a centre lock with instruments spread around them ?

JemCollector

It’s also missing DTS Pro at the moment too. As for music, I have an integrated amp with HT bypass so I listen to music through that. I have watched music videos on YouTube and they sounded great, not as good as through my integrated amp, unsurprisingly, but far better than any receiver I’ve owned. The same goes for any film soundtrack or where there’s music in a scene.

If I didn’t have a primary source to listen to music through I wouldn’t be unhappy listening through the Anthem, it really is very good indeed.

DodgeTheViper

It’s also missing DTS Pro at the moment too. As for music, I have an integrated amp with HT bypass so I listen to music through that. I have watched music videos on YouTube and they sounded great, not as good as through my integrated amp, unsurprisingly, but far better than any receiver I’ve owned. The same goes for any film soundtrack or where there’s music in a scene.

If I didn’t have a primary source to listen to music through I wouldn’t be unhappy listening through the Anthem, it really is very good indeed.
Thanks.
It’s the imaging that I’m interested in and how vocals and instruments portray themselves. Do vocals have a centre lock with instruments spread around them ?

mossym

Distinguished Member
Would have no concerns there, can't remember what I was listening to last weekend but I could close my eyes and the bass player was to the left of the singer,and the drummer was somewhere between the two. Certainly satisifes me.

If you have any specific test pieces you want me to check I'm happy to do so

JemCollector

I would say so to be honest, the vocals sound excellent. I watched a Marcus King video and the sound was superb, crystal clear and with a nice amount of space between the instruments.

I don’t know where you live but you’re welcome to come and have a listen if you wish.

DodgeTheViper

Thanks guys, this is useful. For reference, I’m just outside Chester.

I previously found music to be coming from the L & R speakers only with no centre imaging. It was basically non existent which just destroyed the whole soundstage/image.

With movies, I had an issue with the front and surround integration, like they were totally apart with no blending from front to back and vice versa.

And the overall sound just felt cold and uninvolving/engaging.

mossym

Distinguished Member
Certainly no issue there. First Harry Potter movie is one I know intimately. Rewatced it last week with my kids, and I have never heard the mail delivery sound as cohesive, panned from front to back, and overhead with Atmos, flawlessly. Best i have heard it. Whole movie was a sonic treat

DodgeTheViper

Certainly no issue there. First Harry Potter movie is one I know intimately. Rewatced it last week with my kids, and I have never heard the mail delivery sound as cohesive, panned from front to back, and overhead with Atmos, flawlessly. Best i have heard it. Whole movie was a sonic treat
That’s promising and I appreciate the example :smashin:

mossym

Distinguished Member
I think I felt the same about my old marantz as your issues. I never felt I had that bubble of sound that folks talked about. Certainly had surround, but was more like 7 channels of sound than cohesive imaging. Cannot say the same now

rccarguy2

Thanks guys, this is useful. For reference, I’m just outside Chester.

I previously found music to be coming from the L & R speakers only with no centre imaging. It was basically non existent which just destroyed the whole soundstage/image.

With movies, I had an issue with the front and surround integration, like they were totally apart with no blending from front to back and vice versa.

And the overall sound just felt cold and uninvolving/engaging.

Sounds like you could do with the full suite of lexicon logic 7 post processing, center/right mix, side/rear/front soundstage etc.

DodgeTheViper

I think I felt the same about my old marantz as your issues. I never felt I had that bubble of sound that folks talked about. Certainly had surround, but was more like 7 channels of sound than cohesive imaging. Cannot say the same now
But this is the thing. For me, the Marantz is spot on in this regard.

Topmetom 2

Distinguished Member
I have to agree with this

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 26th January 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Huawei begins P50 Pocket and P50 Pro smartphone global rollout
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audioengine launches compact S6 powered subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW UK for February 2022