Anthem AVM60 - New Atmos DTS-X Processor

Its the loan unit I have, I have emailed Anthem and my dealer, I think it must be faulty.

Freezing.MOV

More like it is faulty - it might be a piece of your equipment doing it also, but that's largely irrelevant unless it's some janky 3rd world media player that no one has heard of causing HDCP lock ups.

Might well need a hard reset, which sets all back to "zero" effectively, all user settings gone including ARC, this is outside of the default reset in the menu options
There is a post from me in the 720 thread of what to do, I would definitely try this before all else as I think this will be the advice you will be given................as I was when struggling with my 720 before they entertain a return

How do you hard reset it?

How do you hard reset it?
Here you go, pick what you need but for me you go;
  1. Firmware update and check
  2. Soft Reset
  3. Hard reset as a last resort (see below in Bold)

From Anthem Support;

Upi replied:

Hi David,

Sorry to hear about your issue, please try the following fixes.
All of these problems may not apply to you, but for the ones that do, please apply the corrective steps.

1.) Make sure the unit is up to date on the latest firmware(available at www.anthemav.com). As soon as you are finished doing the update, perform a POWER CYCLE.(instructions attached below)

2.) If you are having strange anomalies such as settings getting erased, or you have picture and no sound (or vice versa), then make sure you have the Anthem plugged DIRECTLY into a 15 amp wall outlet, and NOT through a power conditioner, or surge protector, or power bar.
These power conditioners, voltage stabilizers, surge protectors can end up limiting the full electrical signal needed by the receivers to run at 100%.

The same can be said for some high end HDMI cables. Just for testing purposes, try normal, generic quality (perhaps the ones included with some electronics) HDMI cables.
Not to say that ALL of these cables can be troublesome, but We’ve had a few instances with some high-end HDMI cables that didn’t pass full audio and video.(AGAIN, THIS IS NOT TO SAY THAT ALL HIGH-END CABLES
ARE INFERIOR IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM OR THAT THEY DO NOT WORK !!!)
Please Make sure your HDMI cables are 4K certified and can pass 18.2 Gps of data, if your unit is plugged into any 4K /ultra HD components.
In some cases projectors, whether 4K or 1080p, may require a longer start-up time, and may also require an active/ powered HDMI cable do to the extended length. This may help to resolve the HDMI hand-shake issues.
If Your ‘ATMOS /Height’ speakers are not sending out any sound, please verify Dolby VOLUME is NOT selected if running an ATMOS /Height system under each input(Input Setup), as Dolby VOLUME was designed for ‘surround-sound’.

3.) If you are having trouble connecting to a network, try switching between Auto(DHCP) and Manual.
When you do this, make sure you perform a POWER CYCLE (I’ll attach the instructions below)and then switch again from Auto/DHCP to Manual, or from Manual to Auto/DHCP.

4.) If you are having trouble finding a network, or ARC-software is having an issue finding the device(ANTHEM), then please make sure your wi-fi network is not hidden behind a Firewall(WINDOWS or anti-virus software).
Also ensure that you are not plugged into any type of network-switch.

5.) Finally, if all else fails, I’ll send you the HARD RESET instructions to perform, as a last resort.(available ONLY on the MRX and new AVM60 models)
Please perform a SOFT RESET right after any Firmware update. This will help make sure the unit accepts the firmware update.

FIRMWARE HELP -

GENERATION 2 & 3 : (MRX-310, MRX-510, MRX-710 / MRX-520, MRX-720, MRX-1120)

To get the latest firmware, please go to Latest Software & Firmware Updates | Anthem®

To check what version of firmware your unit is on, go into your menu, and scroll down to ’System Information", and check the Release Version of your currents receivers firmware.

Please Remember its a zipped file. Unzip and transfer over ONLY the (example):"MRXx20_USB_FW_V2067_2016_10_12.fw " file to a clean formatted(to FAT-32 file format) usb thumb drive.
Nothing else from the download needs to be moved over to the usb thumb-drive.( Do NOT use a USB thumb-drive larger than 32GB, as these can not be formatted to FAT-32 file format.)

When the transfer of firmware from the computer to usb thumb-drive is complete, don’t just pull the thumb-drive out of the computer, do a right click – then SAFE EJECT, or from the menu, find SAFE EJECT.

Then put the USB thumb-drive into the MRX,(back USB port of the MRX-x10 series, or in the front USB port of the MRX-x20 series) and go into the menu, scroll down to system information,
and select “update”, or you can hold down the SELECT button on the front panel, until the front LCD panel shows that it’s started updating.

The receiver will go from 0 to 100% twice, then turn off and on, and once it’s done, the front panel LCD will go back to the usual display and then you can remove the USB.
(NOTE* : If the front LCD panel states " USB update detected", but it seems as though nothing is progressing, please don’t pull the USB thumb-drive out of the MRX yet. This is normal !)

After the firmware is complete and you have removed the USB thumb-drive, perform a Power Cycle /Soft Reset) I’ve Included instructions at the bottom of the page).

ARC DOWNLOADS -

To download firmware and ARC use this link. Please use the links at the TOP of the website page, and do not scroll down to your model/picture, as this will not let you download the attached Calibration File.
Use the ARC links at the top of the page with THE BLUE BOXES next to where you enter the 6-Digit Serial Number from your Calibration MIC. IF you use the ARC links at the bottom, next to your ANTHEM model,
you will NOT be able to enter the Serial Number to download your Calibration File !

Latest Software & Firmware Updates | Anthem®

ARC INFO -

http://www.anthemav.com/downloads/ARC-1_PDS.pdf

ARC ERRORS -

Error Code 0X03 – points to the fact that it can not acquire a signal, but that usually comes down to a finicky connection between the USB port and cable.

Error 0X04 – points to too much background noise.

We’ve seen a bathroom fan/ kitchen range hood, a lawnmower down the street, etc, set off the error responses. IT’S VERY SENSITIVE !!!

Please make sure that the mic is not too close to a hard reflective surface like a sofa(leather) or a glass patio window.

Always check to see if the mic calibration file is also downloaded into WINDOWS/ PROGRAM FILES/ ANTHEM ROOM CORRECTION/ and then look for a file with the serial # on your mic followed by .CAL – It should be in there.

Also check under WINDOW CONTROL PANEL/ DEVICE MANAGER> UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS CONTROLLERS, or sometimes the mic will show up under Sound/Video/Game controllers and make the mic shows up there.

Click on the ‘VOLUME ICON’ located on the bottom right hand side of your desk top, in the task bar, and perform a Right-Click. SELECT the ARC microphone as the NEW DEFAULT mic,
and make sure the computers own microphone isn’t the selected default mic.

Check the serial # of your microphone. If the 6-digit sticker under the microphone is larger then 310501, then that microphone, will work with Windows 7 and higher only.
If your microphones # is less then that, then it will work with Windows XP & VISTA.

If it falters at a specific speaker, then make sure that the receiver is set up for the correct # of speakers in the ANTHEM’s profile/ config, in the main menu, and also that you’ve checked off the appropriate speakers in ARC.
Please undo all the speaker wiring from the ANTHEM, and re-connect all speaker wires, to make sure no wires are ‘frayed’ as to prevent possible ‘shorting-out’.

Also, please verify Dolby VOLUME is NOT selected if running an ATMOS /Height system under each input(Input Setup), as Dolby VOLUME was designed for ’surround-sound

Lastly, if You are running anytime of home-automation system,(CRESTRON /CONTROL-4 /RTi) then please TEMPORARILY DISABLE/UNHOOK the home automation system while running A.R.C.
The automation system will simultaneously ‘PING’ the Anthem, as will A.R.C., and this can lock-up the unit.

TIPS TO INSTALL DTS Play-Fi App on your phone or tablet -

GENERATION 3 : (PLAY-FI OPTION IS ONLY AVAILABLE ON THE MRX-720, MRX-1120, AVM-60):

1.) on your Android handheld device, permanently close any/all apps. On your iOS/apple hand held device, double-tap the HOME button on your device and ‘swipe -out’ all the apps that are open, to close every app.
2.) restart the hand held device.
3.) click on your SETTINGS icon, and then go into Wi-Fi.
4.) select the PLAY-FI device’s Wi-Fi name that is being broadcast and shown under your possible Wi-Fi sources.
5.) open up your DTS Play-Fi app.
6.) follow the onscreen instructions

If the ANTHEM DOES NOT find a network, follow this link to manually update the Play-Fi Module, through the REAR USB PORT.

- and here is the link to DTS Play-Fi update: How to do a Manual Play-Fi Product Update - Play-Fi

POWER CYCLE / Soft Reset -

Make sure you UNPLUG the unit from your direct 15 amp wall outlet connection, and press the ‘Main’ Power button 3 times/ once every 3 seconds, while the unit is unplugged.
(ie: Press the Main Power button, count to 3, press it again, count to 3, press it again, count to 3, and press it again… We want to drain all the power, so the unit can not hang on to old settings.)

Once you’ve pressed the main power button 3 times, plug the unit directly back into the wall.
(If you are having network issues, then and go ahead with switching your Auto/DHCP setting to Manual, or Vice Versa, and remember to perform a power cycle.)

HARD RESET -

ONLY USE IS OPTION AS A LAST RESORT, WHEN YOU ARE EXPERIENCING ISSUES and ERRORS THAT CAN NOT BE EASILY CORRECTED AND ALL ELSE HAS FAILED.

Please note before performing the reset, that all settings EXCEPT for any Firmware Update, will be permanently erased.
The unit will be reset to its factory settings… Generally the technical support team will tell you when to do this !!!

With the unit plugged DIRECTLY INTO THE WALL, and Powered OFF.

MRX-520, MRX-720, MRX-1120 & AVM-60

WITH POWER OFF, Hold SELECT and press MAIN POWER on the front panel.
…once you see ‘RESET’ displayed on the front LCD, you can let go of both buttons.

HDR / ENHANCED T.V.’s

Some new 4K t.v. sets may have an HDR or ENHANCED picture function(or their version of it).
A.V. Receiver manufacturers across the board are having issues with this option, and if You Google this, you’ll see just how vast this issue is becoming.
If you notice that a certain 4K source is not passing signal, please try disabling this HDR or ENHANCED option in your devices.
You may be required to unplug, and re-seat the HDMI cable into the port, and then possibly perform a power cycle for a proper restart.

Upi Jhaj

PARADIGM / ANTHEM

Last edited:
Do you guys reckon there will be much difference in sound quality with the MRX 1120 and the AVM60? I've read a review favouring the 1120 over the 720..in sound quality.

Do you guys reckon there will be much difference in sound quality with the MRX 1120 and the AVM60? I've read a review favouring the 1120 over the 720..in sound quality.
Odd.......don't you think, presuming of course that the 720 and 1120 are identical apart from the number of internal amps?
And it is an assumption on my part.....

I wouldn't have a clue what to compare my 720 to, it is a wonderful piece of kit, and in terms of "difference of sound quality" hmmm, critical listening maybe but what gain if any, must be marginal I would have thought

No, of course not - technically on paper the 1120 is at a possible disadvantage but it would be impossible to hear and anyone that says they can hear the difference between the 2 is completely full of shit. It really is just marketing woo - I'm a big fan of their stuff but that doesn't mean I believe in fairies or have an imaginary friend.

I read another thing were people often say 'well, if it sounds good to you then <insert comment here>' If it's obviously bad but you think it's good, that just means you're deaf or have no point of reference for a spectrum of audio systems and set ups.

I imagine the review there's referring to the better power supply (toroidal) in the 1120 versus the 720. The 1120 and AVM60 have the same power supply. But the AVM60 has the advantage over the 1120 in that it doesn't have the electrical noise of amps inside it.

That said, as Rock indicated, I bet you couldn't hear the difference between them when used as pre pros.

I imagine the review there's referring to the better power supply (toroidal) in the 1120 versus the 720. The 1120 and AVM60 have the same power supply. But the AVM60 has the advantage over the 1120 in that it doesn't have the electrical noise of amps inside it.

That said, as Rock indicated, I bet you couldn't hear the difference between them when used as pre pros.

There seems to be a slight improvement in the bass department, thought there's not much in it.

Anthem MRX 1120 11.2-Channel AV Receiver Reviewed

I'm going to give the MRX1120 a go, fingers crossed it sounds as good as the AVM60 "when working:(" ;)

I can't speak for the AVM60 having never auditioned one - but whatever it's like, the 1120 won't disappoint. It's pretty pure, highly directional, and can drive quite demanding speakers with ease. Punches well above it's weight imho - bearing in mind I do have the front LCR on a separate amp. It's also a doddle to calibrated.
After uploading the software and a hard reset it has so far not cut out on me at all since beginning of March.

The 720 sounds the same as the AVM60, so the 1120 should be the same.

There seems to be a slight improvement in the bass department, thought there's not much in it.

Anthem MRX 1120 11.2-Channel AV Receiver Reviewed

I'm going to give the MRX1120 a go, fingers crossed it sounds as good as the AVM60 "when working:(" ;)
In that review I think hes referring to improvements in the bass processing due to the improvements the x20 series have over the x10 series. Unless Im mistaken, hes comparing the 710 to the 1120. There should be no difference between the 720 and the 1120. From memory, he AVM60 has dual discrete subwoofer eq capability though, so would be superior to the AVR's, more so with a dual subwoofer set up. Obviously with the AVM60 you would be using dedicated power amps, so any system using the AVM60+power amps will be comfortably more capable than the current generation MRX series AVRs, though as you know, real world results need to factor in variables such as the speakers being used, the size of the room, and that rooms acoustics.

He was comparing it to the older 710, not the 720 as that sounds the same as the 1120 and AVM60!
Now I have reread the review, yep I agree!

The AVM60 can run multiple subs via the balanced XLR's with better results due to individual buffers compared to the rca outputs. It will also have a slightly lower noise floor.

Whether you will be able to hear the difference is questionable depending on the system used. What I can say is we have installed several MK 300 systems running AVM60's and multiple MCA 525's and the results have been stunning.

If power amplification is to be used on all channels, I would opt for the AVM60

Last edited:
In that review I think hes referring to improvements in the bass processing due to the improvements the x20 series have over the x10 series. Unless Im mistaken, hes comparing the 710 to the 1120. There should be no difference between the 720 and the 1120.

Thank you for pointing that out, my bad :facepalm:

The AVM60 can run multiple subs via the balanced XLR's with better results due to less buffering compared to the rca outputs. It will also have a slightly lower noise floor.
I'm currently running all of my mains on XLR (powered speakers), but two subs via RCA (since that is their input).

Do you therefore think I'd be better off running an XLR to RCA cable?

Also, can you calibrate them independently? I've only done quick calibrations so far and recall having to set a rough level for them both separately, and then the software would treat them as one.

The anthem avm 60 and the mrx range share the same arc, and run parallel outputs, so cannot eq two subs independently.

Rich, your talking absolute shite. The avm, and mrx have no difference in noise floor. Fact from Tom, whats this shite about buffering??? You realise there is absolutely no buffering in audio signals? As for the xlr connection, seriously...... as your name suggests?

Is only valid over longer runs, as Rock (seriously pt2) even states.

As Ross even stated, they are both the same, and if anyone should have one it should be him, but he made the obvious choice of the 720, on which I think you will agree is a very high end system?

From Nick@anthem on AVS:

Same DSP, slightly different audio path besides balanced output e.g. lower THD+N ADCs in AVM 60, a headphone amp since in MRX the L/R amps are also the headphone amp.​

See here. That of course will only affect analog sources.

From Nick@DougAP

Same DSP, slightly different audio path besides balanced output e.g. lower THD+N ADCs in AVM 60, a headphone amp since in MRX the L/R amps are also the headphone amp.​

See here. That of course will only affect analog sources.

And we all use ANALog sources now ;)

For the difference in price and the THD figures it would seem that the AVM 60 owners, or at least some have come to their senses?

So @DougAP

Whats your own personal non biased opinion from going AVM60 to MRX720?

@SeriouslyCinema as we have all seen in your media room your centre channel is quite hindered in that its firing onto/into a media rack, but all the advice I see on the forums is to have the drivers projecting into the room rather than having their signal reflected at the one early point that need not be there if said speaker was sat proud.

How many installs have the same, as if it is of any benefit, and arc, or any other room eq software can make it sound correct by being in a sub optimum position then I would be interested to hear the positives and negatives, as my centre is on a fireplace, and I was considering running a 4.1.4 system?

@DougAP

Whats your own personal non biased opinion from going AVM60 to MRX720?

I don't think the views above have been biased, but seeing as you asked for mine: if money wasn't a factor I'd go for the AVM60, because it is better as a pre pro. It's a stonking processor.

I'm unable to give an honest A/B comparison unfortunately as a few things in my room changed at the same time as going to the 720. My impression was that the AVM60 did sound very, very slightly better, which I hadn't expected, but I really can't be sure that it did.

I switched to the 720 because even if there's an audible difference it's not, to my pocket, £1k worth of difference or even anywhere near it. However, there are many buyers who'd spend £20k plus on a system and for them I'd recommend the AVM60 all day long. For those spending half that or less, the 720 is probably more sensible.

Im a bit confused. You state its a better pre pro if money was no object yet state you never did an AB.

Then say it sounded slightly better, but you changed your room around?

Thats just not adding up. Or in all honesty you tried to justify it?

In your current system set up do you think you loose anything by your recent move?

HARD RESET -

ONLY USE IS OPTION AS A LAST RESORT, WHEN YOU ARE EXPERIENCING ISSUES and ERRORS THAT CAN NOT BE EASILY CORRECTED AND ALL ELSE HAS FAILED.

Please note before performing the reset, that all settings EXCEPT for any Firmware Update, will be permanently erased.
The unit will be reset to its factory settings… Generally the technical support team will tell you when to do this !!!

With the unit plugged DIRECTLY INTO THE WALL, and Powered OFF.

MRX-520, MRX-720, MRX-1120 & AVM-60

WITH POWER OFF, Hold SELECT and press MAIN POWER on the front panel.
…once you see ‘RESET’ displayed on the front LCD, you can let go of both buttons.

I've done the hard re-set, so far so good, I will test further over the weekend :smashin:

I'm starting to think that this processor has had a firmware update without a hard / Soft restart! Only time will tell over the weekend.

The anthem avm 60 and the mrx range share the same arc, and run parallel outputs, so cannot eq two subs independently.

Rich, your talking absolute sh*te. The avm, and mrx have no difference in noise floor. Fact from Tom, whats this sh*te about buffering??? You realise there is absolutely no buffering in audio signals? As for the xlr connection, seriously...... as your name suggests?

Is only valid over longer runs, as Rock (seriously pt2) even states.

As Ross even stated, they are both the same, and if anyone should have one it should be him, but he made the obvious choice of the 720, on which I think you will agree is a very high end system?

Perhaps if you spent as much time as i do with the Anthems you would have a greater insight.

The AVM60 is an MRX pre with balanced outputs.

My wording was incorrect about buffering. I meant buffers. iPhone whilst on the move.
ARC can support four or more subwoofers. ARC's subwoofer outputs are buffered parallel outputs and not wired to a single opamp. Each XLR sub output has its own buffer while the two RCA sub outputs are in parallel and share one buffer.

XLR isn't valid just over longer runs. On several occasions subwoofer hum has been removed by using XLR cables on systems I have installed where it couldn't be eliminated with rca cables.

The AVM60 is cheaper than the MRX1120 so if running 7.1.4 which is the better buy if power amps being used!!

In my opinion that the AVM60 sounds slightly better than an MRX in a high end system and for the record RD never ran an AVM60 in his system only a 720 so couldn't do an AB comparison. I've run both in mine and installed both in many cinema rooms.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom