antenna query

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by aaronleeh, Jun 10, 2004.

1. aaronleeh

aaronleeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll explain our situation first - We live in a block of flats with a shared antenna, but as the building is listed, we are not able to install an additional antenna. Furthermore, other residents are not interested in replacing or updating the existing antenna. We do have a small loft area where we can install our own setup. Television images, in particular digital ones, seem to suffer a lot of breakup whenever anyone gets a text message, switches anything on or off, or just at random. My question is in two parts:

1. How do I find out (without the expense of a professional) what type of antenna would best suit us, what orientation (H/V) it should be, and how can I tell if we're in a strong or weak signal area? I'm not even sure which way I should be pointing it, as there seems to be little consistency in our area!

2. Apart from using good quality sheilded cabling and connectors, how can I reduce the amount of picture breakup we experience? Is there anything that needs to be done to the power supply?

That's a lot of questions for a first post, but any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks,

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
  3. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,788
    I've just loft mounted a beast of an antenna to cure the same problem with my nebula PCI...

Got it from CPC, its 6 ft long and has 2' sq reflectors... :laugh:

cost about £40 and does the job a treat, there's an optional amp for another £10 if you can get power near the antenna...

I'll check on the make model and post back tonite..