• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Antec Fusion Black problem with CPU fan connector...help please :)

ateam

Standard Member
Hi, this is my first post:hiya:. I have decided to build my own antec v2Fusion black. I have no experience what so ever...but having said that i have read this forum over and over again :)thumbsup:) and seem to be on the right track...

I have attached all hardware and put the motherboard in and with your kind help sorted the wires out from the front panel. So i then turned it on and nothing...groan.. so checked these threads and someone mentioned the standoffs and yes i left 2 unnecessary ones in :)god:) ok, sorted that and turned it back on and it worked :clap:so, side fans on box are working, the Cooler is spinning, Blue ray drive opens and i think i'm getting there...so check all the cables and i forgot to attach the main power packs 4 pin cable to the Sys_Fan on the motherboard.

So, here finally is the problem (sorry we girlies do talk a lot ;)) do i not attach the cable as its working fine but i'm worried it will over heat and die??

pics attached:
[System Info]
Antec Fusion Black
AMD 4850e with blueorb mini cooler
GA MA78GM-S2H
Corsair 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory
LG Electronics Blu-Ray & HD-DVD-Rom Combo 16x DVDRW Black SATA -
Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB Hard Drive SATAII *32MB Cache* - OEM
Vista Home Premium

ateam

Standard Member
gosh ..i found out that s1ngh had the same problem

'it was the white connector. i was supposed to connect the 3 pins not the whole 4 into the sys fan'

so i did that and missed the yellow wire out and ...drum roll... it went bang:eek: with a strong wiff of smoke....so after nearly jumping through the ceiling turned if off sharply. So now the cable is disconnected but turned it on again and the power pack fans started spinning:confused:. Now the qustion, is the motherboard fryed or is there some hope?

JamesOD

It sounds like the mobo has shorted.

What you can do is look at the board and just see if you can see any burn marks on the motherboard.

Silly question but did you connect the cable to the mobo while the system was powered on?

I don't remember connecting any 4 pin cable from my psu to my motherboard the Sys_fan header on the motherboard is really only used to monitor and power a fan so it should not have been needed if the case fans were spinning correctly.

You need to check each componant individually, try resetting the bios (check the motherboard manual for the jumper settings)

Worst case scenario is you send the motherboard back to your supplier as a faulty unit and wait for a new one

fumanchu2001

Standard Member
What PSU are you using and if it has a sliding selector what voltage have you set it to?

i.e. 230v or lower?

** just re-read the posts, the above poster is correct, the System fan, in most cases is not a requirement, you seem to have enough fans for air flow and cooling for the CPU, and as the above poster has already pointed out correctly, NEVER plug in any connections with the Power on!

Are you using Studs or Push-in supports to fix the Mobo in place?
Studs (metal studs where you screw the Mobo into place) would be better in my opinion...

Let us know the situation with booting up, if unsure remove the mobo from case and set it up outside of the case (using caution) and set it on a flat non static surface not the carpet!

Last edited:

ateam

Standard Member
It sounds like the mobo has shorted.

What you can do is look at the board and just see if you can see any burn marks on the motherboard.

Silly question but did you connect the cable to the mobo while the system was powered on?

I don't remember connecting any 4 pin cable from my psu to my motherboard the Sys_fan header on the motherboard is really only used to monitor and power a fan so it should not have been needed if the case fans were spinning correctly.

You need to check each componant individually, try resetting the bios (check the motherboard manual for the jumper settings)

Worst case scenario is you send the motherboard back to your supplier as a faulty unit and wait for a new one

Hi James OD,

I just cleared the CMOS and re-connected the unit to a pc monitor but there is still no change. There are no beeps or any text/bios on the monitor. The case fans are still spinning as it the cooler, the Blueray draw opens and lcd lights on the front panel are on.

I can't see any burn marks on the mobo, do you think they would be under the mobo?

Many thanks for your help :)

ateam

Standard Member
What PSU are you using and if it has a sliding selector what voltage have you set it to?

i.e. 230v or lower?

** just re-read the posts, the above poster is correct, the System fan, in most cases is not a requirement, you seem to have enough fans for air flow and cooling for the CPU, and as the above poster has already pointed out correctly, NEVER plug in any connections with the Power on!

Are you using Studs or Push-in supports to fix the Mobo in place?
Studs (metal studs where you screw the Mobo into place) would be better in my opinion...

Let us know the situation with booting up, if unsure remove the mobo from case and set it up outside of the case (using caution) and set it on a flat non static surface not the carpet!

Hi fumanchu2001, thank you for your kind help:)

The power pack came with the unit and says '430 Watt ATX12V v2.0 power supply' but does not have a slider. I am using studs to attach the mobo (already learnt to remove excess ones). I have not attached any components/cables to the mobo with the power on, i always plug the plug in first and turn on mains, turn the switch on at the back of the case and then push the 'on' button ...then reverse to turn off.

As said there is nothing when i boot up but i'll try removing the mobo and i'll let you know what happens.

Thank you again Ateam (Amuture team :rolleyes:)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom