1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ant one happy with their Plasma ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by GASWATKINS, May 11, 2003.

1. GASWATKINS

GASWATKINS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Guys
    been reading forum for a good while now
    but all i read is problems
    i have a budget of £2500 for Plasma
    but i am getting so confused ,
    do i buy cheap now ?
    wait and buy better in a few weeks/ months/Xmas ?
    buy a projector ?

or enjoy a great holiday instead

Cheers

2. GASWATKINS

GASWATKINS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Should read any one

not Ant

sorry

3. kenny.c

kenny.c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive only had my Hitachi 42PD3000e for a week but i love it. Ive watched more films in the last week than i would normally in a month.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Age old problem mate!!!! the new LG 30" TFT screen at £2k might fit the bill. Or go with a plasma, Pnaasonic new series are due in a few months so deals could be had on old stock.

5. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Best bit of AV gear I ever purchased 42" Pana 4 series

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Be very wary of these 'cheap' plasmas, they ain't that good, if you have a £2.5k budget, I would go elsewhere (you will not be happy). Look to projector.

Up your budget to a Panny / Pioneer, it is a different kettle of fish. I know it sounds lovely but you WILL be disappointed at £2.5k. :(

7. sharkbait

sharkbait

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 42" series 5 Panasonic panel.

I've had it about 6 weeks now.

It is probably the best piece of kit I have EVER bought ... it's fantastic. I would definitely recommend spending a little bit more and getting either a Panny or a Pioneer.

Oh ... and they look soooooooooooooo cool when installed. :clap:

8. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, don't forget that this forum is for getting help. Many of us are happy with our screens, but are trying to improve the picture slightly etc.

Not many threads are about how great the Plasma is, except Get your Plasma out.... :clap:

Best thing I ever did.

James

9. masterofimages

masterofimages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I wouldn't entirely agree with that comment. The LG PZ17 is a very good screen for £2.5K. I seriously considered one but eventually stumped up the extra cash for the Pioneer 433MXE. That extra inch makes all the difference! :smashin:

10. mre15

mre15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    dont take other peoples word for it, audition for yourself, its the only way.

I have the lg14, many people dont like it, but I looked at many screens side by side, all with sky digital which is the main thing that I will be viewing. And there aint a lot in it I can tell you.

Sky has a bad quality output at the best of times, and i found the higher res screens just made it look even worse.

DVD was a different story, good source in better picture crap in crap out.

Shop about and compare the screens side by side, with the source you will watch most, never have a demo with the likes of shrek or monsters inc whuch you will see everywhere and always look good.

Have fun browsing, and take your time.

11. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    AT £2500 it is tough. I had the Samsung screen before getting an LG 17. Good for the money but you would be bettter off with a good quality 36" CRT to be honest.

Projectors are not suitable for every day use watching the tv etc, just a film thing in my opinion.

The LG 17 is a good screen and compares very well with most of the more expensive models providing it is properly setup.

But witha budget of £2500 you cant do a proper plasma setup in my opinion. The screen costs this, you then need a wall bracket / stand, component RGB converter, good cables, scart switch etc.

Minimum price all in for a decent Plasma screen properly setup is around £3000 in my opinion. Or £3500 - £4000 if you want the top end Pioneer / Fujitsu screens which are about the best available.

12. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Like some many before my Pana 5 series is great... Used to have a 2k Sony rear projection TV which I was very happy with but the Plasma just blows it away! If you can find a Pansoic / Pioneer etc in your budget it's worth it... or just keep saving!

13. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Like MRE15 i have an LG14 which i got in Comet (i know i know) at Christmas for £3000 with stand,speakers and tuner box and i'm more than happy with it. At the time of purchase i was going to buy a Rear Projection but the difference in picture quality plus 2 years intrest free credit did the trick for me and i've not regretted it. Like Harris says £3000 is still probably what you'd need to stump up at the end of day for all the kit but the only real way to judge what's best is your own eyes and compare sets and picture yourself.

14. GASWATKINS

GASWATKINS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for all the replies
    plenty to think about
    but still hanging back

15. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    do you think the picture quality is significantly improved over crt?
    I looked but couldn't really tell,maybe my eyes are rubbish....

16. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Watching quality DVDs my Plasma wipes the floor with any CRT set I have ever seen. And this also appies to video games from my xbox and Dreamcast. Breath taking. Really. I will say this again though.

I have mine properly setup. Many people dont. And that includes every shop I have ever seen sellling them.

Normal TV if the broadcast is quality it is better. No doubt about it. If the broadcast is crap it does not look as good as CRT. But only because Crt Gause blurs everthing deinterlaced behind thick glass etc.......

Some people swear CRT is better on every source. I just dont agree with this. I will take the pepsi challenge any day.

And it terms of spectacle space saving and aethetics there can only be one winner Plasma. I am so glad I dont have that dirty great big CRT taking up a huge part of my living room any more.

17. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    You could buy a new CRT and have a holiday. Only an idea!

18. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

Please do not even think about it.

We recently took delivery of this and the latest Sharp 30" at the store where I work

The LG has a terrible picture quality. It has low brightness (just like the LG plasma we used to sell) and poor contrast/colour resolution.

Connecting a DVD to it via component (Panasonic DVD-S35 + Precious Metals cable), edges in the picture are not sharp or defined and look very blocky and full of movement. It's like watching composite!
    The only way to stop this effect is to take sharpness down to 25% but this makes the picture very soft. This is happening on all movies including Shrek, Monsters Inc etc.

I'm not a fan of Sharp LCDs but their 30 model is sooooo superior to the LG in every way, although the Sharp does look rather pixellated and full of artifacts when watching digital TV on it. :( The switchbox is an useful addition though! :)

The only LCD TV I would ever buy is a Panasonic (why oh why don't they bring out a 30 inch?!) or I would just move on to plasmas for a larger screen.

19. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    LG 14 was it ? As I said anyone who wants to come and see mine in action is welcome.

20. sean

sean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the same position I wanted to buy a Plasma and was impressd with the LG picture quality espcially as it was displayed next to very poor Samsung. It wa sonly after having to ask many questions I found I would need to spend extra to buy A stand so I could actually watch the thing :mad: It had no (ZERO) RGb scarts when the guy said "if you have a digi box you don't need the media box" NOOOOO but I need something to plug my sky into you MORON. Anyway it's put me right off. Some good deals on E-bay but do I trust them to deliver it with ut titlting it backwards and Wrecking it (is this true about tilting???)

I got into DVD very early on but I think I'll wait for flat screen technology. I love the flat LCD I am using now but 15" is a bit small for Gladiator Matrix etc :laugh:

Like someone says the £2500 budget is a bit of a 'sucker you in deal'. there are a lot of HIDDEN :mad: extra's to consider.

Sean

21. Pug72

Pug72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Well, I took delivery of a Sony KE42STE yesterday and it is going back!
    The picture wasn't brilliant.
    Too worried about screen burn playing video games.
    Had a pixel go in less than 24 hours.
    At £4000 I expected a lot better.

The only thing going for it was it's size.

I bought it from Sky so luckily I had a 10 day cooling off period, but I only needed 1!! lol.

I'm gunna stick to CRT in future and will be looking for a good 36" one soon.

I think it will be some time before the quality/price equals itself out with plasmas I fear and I for one can't afford to pay that sort of dosh for something I'm not 100% happy with.

22. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    £4000 :rolleyes: There are plenty of panels much much better than the Sony one costing £3000 or less. :rolleyes:

I use mine for video games all the time Xbox and Dreamcast. I have played halo for 3 hours and more online at a time. I spent about four hours on it on Friday night playing Metal Gear Solid 2 and medal of honour. Looks spectacular 3 and half wide they way these things should be played..

No screen burn or any sign of it (Touch wood). At the end of the day go with what you are happy with. But mine looks fantastic. I watched Straw Dogs on it last night. Only one of the £6 cheapos from Vigin Sale. I was so impressed with the quality. The film is 30 years old and at £6 you cant expect a great transfer. But I was amazed. The quality was brilliant.

23. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    pug72
    pug72
    Hmmm? :confused: :confused: :confused:

24. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Sean - it is partially true about tilting, a plasma screen can be quite safely laid on its front or tilted as long as there are no knocks / heavy vibrations affecting it. But during transportation it must be kept upright to avoid damage to the glass and gubbins behind it which make up the pixels. On your other points, fair comment I had to pay for the stand, and a convertor (see below!) to watch RGB sources. But I used this excellent forum as a source of information well before I considered making a purchase so I knew about the "hidden" costs.

harrisuk - your comments about shops selling plasma hit the nail on the head for me. I was in Currys the other week(killing time while my car got its' tyres changed) and the plasmas were showing BBC1, a rugby match. The picture was woeful - really blurred - and it was embarrassing to watch. I am a proud owner of a Panasonic 42" 4 series, set-up (I believe) properly, I am using the John Sim RGB-VGA plasma convertor box, and component from a DVD player. Now I know that not everyone has top-notch DVD players but I would think that if a store were trying hard to sell nice expensive plasma screens they would make an effort to get the picture looking good.......

My final comment on these matters is: use the AV Forums to find a good dealer who is recommended by other forum members, I chose Joe Fernand who gave excellent advice and peace of mind. If you do 'plasma' right, it's awesome.

25. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pug you have a PM.

26. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Nathan you could at least tell him to buy a 42" Tosh RPTV on the thread mate :laugh: Only kidding.

27. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just did! :)

28. Pug72

Pug72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Thanx Nathen but I will be going for a CRT.
    Not to impressed with RP to be honest, the viewing/lighting conditions have to be too precise for me.

29. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well Pug at least we agree on something !