Another which TV Help needed thread

beIIy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Currently looking to replace my 50" Panasonic with one of the following and just wondered what peoples opinion where before making a purchase.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-p42gt30b-p42gt30-201103281070.htm (50" model)

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-ps51d550-201109221412.htm

I could purchase the Samsung between £600-£700 online and in store with just a quick browse

and the Panasonic from amazon for £999

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004QWYO...de=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B004QWYOU0

For an extra £91 I could get a 3D Blu ray player and 2 pair of 3D glasses when bought with the TV

Both get very good reviews, but wondered if it was worth stretching the extra money for the Panasonic.

Would I see a noticeable difference in PQ for the extra money.

I would be watching Sky/Sky HD (Standard definition picture quality is still important) I'm not currently subscribed to 3D and I don't currently have an outdoor ariel.

I already have a surround sound system so speaker quality isn't as important, I do sit a fair distance from the TV (around 3.5 metres) but have patio doors about another couple of metres behind me so I'm in a well lit room during the day with direct sunlight behind me. I've read the Samsung's screen is very reflective so maybe a problem although I find that it is with my current TV through the day (closing the blinds/curtains is not a problem)

I'm not upto speed with all the latest extras on tv's nowadays (smart tv etc...) so without doing research I couldn't say if I would use the extra features.
I was looking at spending around £750 so the Samsung seemed like a nice budget set with a positive review but i've had a Panasonic for the past 5 years and couldn't fault it so was leaning towards spending the extra after reading the review for it.

Any thoughts from owners or anyone else would be greatly appreciated.

Happy new year

Paul

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Last edited:
Thanks for the link, as much as I'm excited about looking for a new tv I always find it quiet stressful (in a good way, if that makes sense) in making sure I get the best tv for my money

Looks promising!

Both the GT30 and the D550 are reviewed in the AVForums Hardware reviews.

Regards Martin

Thanks for the reply

After reading a lot of reviews and threads from these forums

I'm undecided on the Panasonic 50" GT30 and now 51" Samsung D6900 but have read that out the box the Samsung would have to be calibrated to get the most out of it. Something I have no experience doing.

I nipped to my local curry's to view the sets in the flesh but couldn't get to see the Samsung model.

Decisions decisions.

Help! :)

Thanks for the reply

After reading a lot of reviews and threads from these forums

I'm undecided on the Panasonic 50" GT30 and now 51" Samsung D6900 but have read that out the box the Samsung would have to be calibrated to get the most out of it. Something I have no experience doing.

I nipped to my local curry's to view the sets in the flesh but couldn't get to see the Samsung model.

Decisions decisions.

Help! :)

Get yourself a demo at RS or Sound and vision, they both have demo rooms. Its easy to improve PQ, sure you wont be able to do a full ISF calibration, but with a bit of reading on here and a calibration disc you can improve the PQ quite a bit.

Scooby2000 said:
Get yourself a demo at RS or Sound and vision, they both have demo rooms. Its easy to improve PQ, sure you wont be able to do a full ISF calibration, but with a bit of reading on here and a calibration disc you can improve the PQ quite a bit.

Do you have either set by any chance? Or a preference on which you would purchase

I have a 46"GT30, a stunning set, great with games, very good 3D and stunning HD. I cant really recommend now though as sadly my set has developed the green splodge on one side of the screen. I did think it was a case of sets having this or not, now it has appeared after a good few months Im concerned all sets may have it. If I was you Id also look at the Samsung D6900. I myself may need to take another look at the D8000 or may wait to see what comes out this year. Its really frustraiting as Panasonic on one hand create a fantastic set, but then have these big issues every year now.

Scooby2000 said:
I have a 46"GT30, a stunning set, great with games, very good 3D and stunning HD. I cant really recommend now though as sadly my set has developed the green splodge on one side of the screen. I did think it was a case of sets having this or not, now it has appeared after a good few months Im concerned all sets may have it. If I was you Id also look at the Samsung D6900. I myself may need to take another look at the D8000 or may wait to see what comes out this year. Its really frustraiting as Panasonic on one hand create a fantastic set, but then have these big issues every year now.

I currently have a Panasonic 50PX70BA which has decided to develop intermittent black horizontal lines on the top half of the screen, hence the reason for the new TV search

I think I've joined the long list of many forum users who seem to be torn between the Samsung and couple of Panasonic models :)

I'll need to look into how the D6900 fairs in light conditions, although my living room is dark on an evening it's really bright with natural light during the day (closing blinds and curtains is not an issue though)

Sometimes I wonder if I over analyse as I'm no expert and half the time don't even understand the subtle pro's and cons for each TV so wonder if I'd notice anyway. :)

Going to watching mainly HD sport and movies so just want a set to wow me with the PQ

It's my first dip into the world of 3D

Thanks for the info :)

So many of us in the same boat, it is a pain! I'm mostly about HD "normal" channels over Virgin TiVo and movies - 3D or 2D. Sport wise, just the F1, though thanks to the BBC sellout, not as much this year!! :eek:(( Oh, and there's the Xbox of course, though the kids tend to get more time on that than me! The 50GT30 seems to fit the bill in so many ways except for potential faults. I think, with a 5 year warranty, I'm just going to have to take a leap of faith and stick with it. I won't accept any fault that I can notice all the time, but I also will try not to go looking for it!

Al the Al said:
So many of us in the same boat, it is a pain! I'm mostly about HD "normal" channels over Virgin TiVo and movies - 3D or 2D. Sport wise, just the F1, though thanks to the BBC sellout, not as much this year!! :eek:(( Oh, and there's the Xbox of course, though the kids tend to get more time on that than me! The 50GT30 seems to fit the bill in so many ways except for potential faults. I think, with a 5 year warranty, I'm just going to have to take a leap of faith and stick with it. I won't accept any fault that I can notice all the time, but I also will try not to go looking for it!

So many indeed! :)

I think I'm going to go for the Samsung D6900 - if I could get the GT30 for under £1000 it could sway me back towards the Panasonic.

Wondering if it's worth getting the Samsung from the following:

http://www.johnlewis.com/231233764/Product.aspx?source=63258 comes with a 5yr warranty £899

Never had a warranty with a TV before so not sure how important it is. Never needed one so far

Any recommendations for online sellers? or any to avoid :)

Electrical discount uk? £949.99 with 2 pair of glasses.

I'm positive I read somewhere in these forums that the D6900 comes with 2 pair of glasses inside the box. Must be mistaken.

You can get a 50GT30 on Amazon for £999.99! Warranty extra though and £23 more for a BDT110, so about £1200 all in if you want the package with 5 years cover. RS should price match that if you prefer a "real" store!

Al the Al said:
You can get a 50GT30 on Amazon for £999.99! Warranty extra though and £23 more for a BDT110, so about £1200 all in if you want the package with 5 years cover. RS should price match that if you prefer a "real" store!

Do you have a link to the Amazon deal?

I seen it yesterday, but is currently a 1-3 month wait on delivery as I'm assuming it's out of stock. I wouldn't think RS would price match something out of stock. I'm only presuming though :)

On the John Lewis website the model number for the TV is PS51D6900D

I understand the first D is the year (2011) what's the last D? 3D??? :(

Last edited:
Finally purchased the Samsung d6900 but was wondering if anyone knows if I'm doing anything wrong when trying to watch 3d on sky?
Installed the batteries in the glasses that came with the tv, watching sky 3d, pressed 3d on the remote!!

HELP :)

beIIy said:
I wouldn't think RS would price match something out of stock. I'm only presuming though :)
:(

Safe to say your assumption is correct.
I've yet to hear of anyone price matching when the other party has no stock.
Easy to quote any old price if you don't actually have any of them!
I'll sell you a Ferrari for £12.40
I don't have one and I can't get you one, but hey.....;-)

RS price matched it for me the day he originally asked .. who knows now!

Could any helpful owners of the Samsung D6900 tv please put up a link or point me in the right direction for some user recommended TV settings for both 2D & 3D :)

And does any know the cost to get a tv professionally calibrated? Just out of curiosity really

Kind regards in advance

Last edited:
Plasma forum, owner's thread...or the review & discussion pages on the AV forums / HDTV test review

I think professional calibration is around £300-400

vickster said:
Plasma forum, owner's thread...or the review & discussion pages on the AV forums / HDTV test review

I think professional calibration is around £300-400

Thanks for the reply, found the forum owners thread! So many pages to wade through :thumbsup:

Sorry, popular model :D

vickster said:
Sorry, popular model :D

Haha very! I still haven't come across any recommended user settings though :(

I'm just using the default ones at the min, but read to get the best out of the TV should change the settings and not being an expert I need HELP :D

Maybe I'm over analysing, the pic looks great

The problem with settings is that every TV and every room is different - why not have a play, start in True Cinema (or equivalent) and go from there

This took me 2 seconds to find using the search box "d6900 settings" (I realise it's for the 59" but you get the gist, post #3) http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1514519-samsung-ps59d6900-calibration-settings-thread.html

If you are happy with the picture - what do you need to change. Just make sure it is not in dynamic and the contrast isn't on max, as you'll risk image retention

vickster said:
The problem with settings is that every TV and every room is different - why not have a play, start in True Cinema (or equivalent) and go from there

This took me 2 seconds to find using the search box "d6900 settings" (I realise it's for the 59" but you get the gist, post #3) http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1514519-samsung-ps59d6900-calibration-settings-thread.html

If you are happy with the picture - what do you need to change. Just make sure it is not in dynamic and the contrast isn't on max, as you'll risk image retention

Aaaa this is why you are a distinguished member! ;)

Thank you for the link, very much appreciated!! :)

Nah I just have common sense - it is one of the clear benefits of my gender :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom