another "which to buy" question -sony or benq

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Bonesy, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi,

present for girlfriend's birthday, she takes loads of snaps, uploads them, typically out and about kind of pictures,

so, this Benq, which I read is the same as the pentax, plus points cheap, touchscreen, and won 88% in digital photography mag this week. £140.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/review/2007/08/07/BenQ-DC-T700/p1

athough trusted reviews don't really rate it.

or sony t100, plus points are quite a nice design, apparentyl good pictures, good battery and fast speed, at £205.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/review/2007/06/08/Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-T100/p1

downsides are not touchscreen, sony price quite high, weight

am I being daft considering the benq?
    or am I going to be wasting money on a sony when only the defaults will be used?

any thoughts? need to order it today.

thanks n advance.

2. jomike

jomike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Out of these two I would go for the Sony as BenQ is not a highly rated make and the touch screen seems a bit of a gimmick IMO. However, in this price range, (£200), the most recommended cameras seem to be the Panasonic TZ3 and the Fuji (not sure of model) so they might be worth a look.

I have used the Panasonic and I can recommend it.

HTH

Mike

3. harry66

harry66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Even putting the technical and picture quality issues aside - this is a pressy for your girlfriend - do you think she will feel better getting a sexy sleek well put together solid feeling Sony or a cheapo tacky feeling Benq? :)

I have had a couple of Benq products (not cameras) and I have had 3 different Sony compact cameras - the feel good factor is no comparison.
    I bought my missus a Sony DSC-U40 (small pocket sized) a few years ago - she absolutely loved it - used to take with her everywhere. When she damaged it I had to source a used replacement from Ebay as Sony had stopped making them. I had a Ixus 40 by this time but she still wanted the older Sony.

Go on get the Sony - I would be amazed if it diddnt have better picture quality than a Benq!

4. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    thanks Mike, I'll have a look at fuji and panny, although to be honest, she likes the colour red, both of which the others come in. I know, a different set of buying criteria from what most avforum members would consider.:rolleyes:

5. Just call me Al

Just call me Al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    There's always this Canon Camera.

I would go for a Canon, Nikon, Panasonic or Fuji small camera before either Sony who are good, & BenQ. To buy a camera (which is after all to take photo's with)
    because of the camera colour is :eek:

There is also this one if you add this code JESSOPS10 it will be £116-99

Personally I don't like the one's with the lens in the corner as I tend to put my finger over it whilst holding the camera.

6. harry66

harry66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Dont wish to start a flame war or anything but if you want to buy a camera on colour then you should buy a camera on colour.

I have owned many compact digital cameras over the years: 3 different Fujis, 3 Sonys and 1 Canon. Yes I always felt that each new camera was better than the previous one - certainly in the early days there was a big difference between a good camera and a bad camera but these days as long you stick to a decent make you cant go that far wrong. Yes the Panasonic or Canon may give slightly better results than a Sony but how much better is the question?

You are buying this as a present and if getting a red camera makes your girlfriend feel better than receiving a silver one - then why not? You are not going to get crap results from the Sony you mentioned.

I now have a Nikon D50 and I can see the (considerable) difference in results between it and my Canon Ixus 40 - but if I compare my Ixus 40 with my aging Sony DSC-P73 I personally cannot see too much difference. I do prefer the Ixus over the Sony - but mainly because it fits in my pocket!

7. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    thanks guys for taking the effort to reply,

D2V2D, the fuji looks good, and the review I just read made me laugh
    Harry, agree, whilst part of me wants to get the best product for taking pictures, I also realise that those functions will never be used - instead her friends saying " oh, that's a nice colour, will mean a lot more". still I think I'm leaning to the sony. hate the brand and company, but with loads of functions I'll have something to play with on the upcoming 'beach holiday' - lets see if the red eye reduction will also stretch to my sun bun...:smashin:

8. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    As has been stated above, skip the Ben Q.. and if Sony dont do it for you..Dont worry : Canon, Panasonic, Fuji , Pentax all make "Sexy sleek models".
    Casio and Ricoh do too but women are astute and if the pictures turn out to be underwhelming * (as can happen) the way the cameras looks will no longer impress her especisllly given ow good some of the Phone can be as camersa these days.

Even if any added functions are not used, the cameras output has to be at least impressive.
    Without any "gadget snobbery" intended many "lifestyle" products fail to deliver on what counts most..Quality output
    Buy with care
    Good Luck

9. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    cheers everyone, went with the sony, next day delivery from camerabox, 45 min wait in citylink depot for them to find it.

she loves it, and reckons she'll try to get the most of out the features. also then started pointing out technical limitations on her mothers one that she uses, making me suddenly relieved I went middle rather than lower end of the market.:hiya:

10. Just call me Al

Just call me Al

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    So hopefully another Happy Snappy hits the road.

PS Make sure she doesn't cover the lens whilst holding the camera.