1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

another "which sub to buy" thread.

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by chris, May 28, 2003.

1. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    At the moment i have a PDR-10, which seems to work well, altough this was my first and only sub, so had/have nothing to compare it by.

What i want is something that pushes a bit more air, so thought i would need a bigger box.
    Not knowing what the rel's look like, i thought maybe get a rel q150....untill i saw one the other day in sevenoaks hifi........how is something that small going to move any air and the quake is evern smaller....so have now ruled them out.

Now my choices seem to be down to:

B&W ASW675 = Loads of power and will prob match my speakers (602,cc6,601,lm1)....but again it is still on the small side.

CHT-10 = seems to be a nice little sub, from the reviews on here, but it is not much bigger than my PDR-10.

CHT-15 = Now this seems to be the one i am more atracted to...nice and big, quite a bit of power in it, a nice big cone, loads of room in the box to move plenty of air.

BUT.....will it be a bit to big for my room.......???.......my room is 13' by 13'....i can put it in the corner where my PDR-10 is and the misses will not moan as i can have pretty much what i like in here, but will it overpower the size of the room and sound crap........

I then thought maybe, just go for the cht-10.
    Its not much bigger than the PDR-10, but would it be a big improvement over it.

Then i tought maybe the 675...its tiny but has loads of power to move that little 10" cone, but how much power to get an improvment over the PDR-10 and would it start to go into distortion......??

HELP...so many decisions.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I was looking at the SVS range....i was looking at the PCi series, but have just asked for a shipping price for that PC-PLUS one.

I think it might work out a bit more than i want to spend, but i shall wait and see.

Also was a bit worried about, if you get probs with it...i'll prob have to pay to send it back and then pay to get it back.
    Thats one other reason that is putting me off the CHT-15 (apart from it being a bit big)...what happens if you get a prob....??

If i brought the 675 and it went wrong, i can just jump in the car and 30 mins later it is back where i brought it from.

i hate buying new gear, when there is so much choice about.

4. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I am not very tech minded when it comes to these things......but from what i have read.......
    Is the only diff between the PCi and PC-PLUS series, the power...if so, i could go for the 16-46 PCi and still have 3 times more power than the PDR-10.

And the fact, that it is quite a bit cheaper than the PC-PLUS (prob be within my budget).

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The lower ports loose a few dB of output, compared the 25hz model.

I would go for the 20hz models.

No, the PCi have a lower quality driver, the PC Plus have the metal cone driver.

The PC Plus also has the Sub Sonic filter (useful if you want to remove frequencies below the tunedport) And the PC Plus has variable phase control - PCi only have a 0-180' switch. (and you've noticd PC Plus has a higher powered am)

email Tom V... very helpful and will explain things. Try and get a MD from other Subwoofer companies to do that!

tomv@svsubwoofers.com

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Paradigm Servo 15 is another option (which no one but me ever seems to bring up these days - why not?)

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The B&W would be a considerable improvement over the PDR10. HCC reviewed it in the Feb 03 edition and gave it five stars and a glowing review which I quoted in a thread yesterday so won't do it again.

There does seem to be a lot of interest in the SVS for good reason as it seems to offer the best bang for your buck as they sell direct to the public. Most manufacturers have to factor in the dealers profit and if it is an overseas product, the importer as well, so SVS have a head start.

This is the route that Nathan and I could well be taking very soon

8. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,186
    Ian, I would be interested in looking at SVS as well, maybe we could order together for a saving? Just fancy adding something different now I have found the best positioning for a sub, and it is directly behind me, with a huge bloody box!

9. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    NicolasB

Simply because it seem's to be wasted bandwidth.
    We know better?

Steve.

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phil, would you go for a active cylinder or passive cylinder? Single or dual SVS's?

That B4+ looks pretty amazing... huge though!

11. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,186
    No Idea at this point, busy looking....

12. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Well I'm still waiting for a reply from SVS.....they did send one, to find out what country i was in, as i forgot to put that (derrrrrrr), but hopefully should get an answer later today.....i do like the look of them svs things...it would look quite nice, stuck in the corner......39" of cylinder...makes a change from a square box.....evern the misses thought it looked nice, then i told her how tall it was and she gave me a funny look....!!!!.

13. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    heh heh. Tell wife the picture of the SVS on the PC monitor is actual size. :)

SVS's take up the same amount of floorspace of my Rel Storm, and takes up much less space compared to Servo 15, CHT-15, HGS-18, Rel Stentor, Studio etc.

14. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Well i got the E-mail back.........
    So it satnds at:
    $825 for the sub
    $135 for P+P door to door ($110 P+P door to airprot)

So that works out around £580.94.

But then they add that i have to pay any additional cost for customs, duties, administrative fees, there might be.

So does anyone know what sort of import dutie i will have to pay on this....??.......is it the standard 17.5% VAT...if so it works out at approx £682.60, which i could just stretch to........depending on the price of the new denon2900 (apparently, sevenoaks hifi are getting them in this week).

But if it is more, then i will have to give them a miss and see if i cannot get a servo 15 or go for the Velo CHT-15.

15. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    According to my calculations the PC+ 20-39 will be about £737 with all costs paid. That includes the Import Duty at 4.5% and Vat on top at 17.5%

For that you will be buying a subwoofer that many of the esteemed reviewers in US say is the best value on the market.

Seeing as there are at least four people on this thread interested in these subs, isn't it about time you organised a Power Buy Tom ?

16. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    This is quite a bit more than i wanted to pay for the sub.....but i do like the specs and the shape, so will have to see what sort of deal i can get with the 2900 first, before i make a decision..................although i am on the beer at the moment, so who knows what might happen in the next couple of hours......i could well wake up in a weeks time with a delivery man knocking on the door, asking for import duty and vat chrage.

17. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The basic 25-31 PCi would probably cost £528 including everything and that is still one hell of a sub. Once you get onto the upgrade bandwagon it is difficult to get off but something like the PC+ 20-39 will never have to be upgraded again so some might say that it's a bargain at the price

18. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Go on Ian press the `BUY` button - you know you want to :laugh: you`re only a few junctions up the `42 from me,so when you get yours the sisemic activity should block it up even more :rotfl: which model you thinking of going for by the way,the 20-39pc+ like you say is probably the best all rounder,I know mine still amazes every day,the only upgrade I can think of is another one :smashin: if you need to make your mind up and hear one let me know.
    regards paul.
    p.s. THX1138 - I am experimenting at the moment with placement of the beast and mines sitting behind the settee as we speak and to tell you the truth,it`s damm scary :rolleyes: you feel the low end waves ripple through the seat of your pants even more :laugh: good stuff....

19. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    BONE DADDY.......you seem to be the person to ask....how have you got yours connected up.....??????

I am not one of these audiophile(think i spelt that wrong...never mind) people and for me, mp3 128 and sky music channels sound brilliant through my amp..........a cd through my 656,3803,602's sounds brill to me.....i origanally upgrade from a AKIA stack system......

If i went for the 20-39pc+, it will only be connected through the RCA jack of the 3803 amp....is this a, too good a sub to just be connected this way...??.....will i still get the same affect, connecting this way with say a rel q150, or will i notice a real big improvement over my PDR-10....???
    At the moment i have my settings at L,C,R +1......Sub +4 on the amp channel levels and the sub sounds excellent, evern at low levels....right now it is on sky sports one, with WWE and the bass in the music they play when a wrestler comes out is amazing and the volume is only at -42 in PDLII.

I would really like to order the 20-39 PC+, but am thinking that it might be getting wasted, as it prob will not be used for music, just for LFE in DD,DTS,PDLII.

HELP me please....(i think it might be your reply that makes me hit the buy button......OR NOT).

20. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    We certainly do ;)

21. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Right Chris - first things first (and you Ian :laugh: ) hit the `BUY` button now!! - I have said this before here quite a few times,but this sub makes everything sound great - Sky/cd/dvd/tv/anything you stick in,just brings waves of stuff you did not realise was there and heightens your enjoyment of whatever it may be you are listening to the max.The connections you mention are the same as I am using and the main way SVS recommend,just hook it up,calibrate and have some fun,and the thing looks great - big `ol black tube - love it,and everyone who see`s it and hears it - does too :smashin: even the ladies like the look,something that makes their other half`s happy!! (and confident in hitting the `BUY` button)
    Music sounds amazing through it Chris,it`s the same as with your dvds - you will end up re-playing all your old stuff - marvelling at the depths of new found bass and overall sound quality,for me the sub is the keystone in the system,and one as good and bargain priced as this - well you`d be crazy not to :laugh:
    Let us know how you get on :smashin:

22. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Sorry for keep bumping this thread up......but i just gotta know......

Have just been looking at the svs web site and have noticed that the 16-46PC+ is only about another £30 more.....would it be worth going for this, over the 20-39....??????????

23. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nah, hardly any sound in the 16hz range. And you loose a couple of decibels of output, compared to the 20hz model.

Lots of info here...

http://svsubwoofers.com/faq.htm

24. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Talking of Hz's, i once did a sweep on my 568.2 from 120Hz down to 5 Hz (using HGS-18 for the bottom bit)

It's quite weird as you hit 20Hz & below:D

I'm sure the walls were flexing outwards!

Adzman

25. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Perhaps not the walls but certainly the windows?

I have always banged on about the scary stuff living below 20hz.

8 out 10 cats (man!) prefer it.

Steve.

26. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Indeed the windows were rattling big time & my ears went funny too, whilst my Jack Russell sat there with his ears bolt upright.
    Perhaps 01:30am wasn't a good time to do this!!!!!!!!

Adzman

27. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    THX 1138,

Don't you already own a Velodyne CHT-15 (great sub btw)?

Are you planning on getting another sub in addition to your CHT-15?

At this very moment, I would have an SVS 20-39PC-Plus sitting in my living-room had I not have gotten a good deal on my HGS-18.:)

TK

28. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I ordered my 20-39 PC Plus yesterday and I listen to an average of one CD per month so you see where my priorities lie.

Full report when it arrives

29. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I eagarly (and I'm sure many others) await for your un-biased report when the unit arrives. Keeping in mind SVS's good track record though, you should hopefully receive it next week.:)

Btw, what finally made you decide to take the plunge?

30. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I sent Tom an email at SVS last night and had an answer back within five minutes, together with responses from Ron and Erik at SVS ten minutes later.

Bearing in mind this was a Sunday, service like that is to be commended so I pressed the "Buy" button and hopefully