Another 'which small subwoofer' thread

RatJones

Established Member
Reaction score
Calling all of the subwoofer guru's!

I have my new system finally as per the signature but you can probably see that something is missing... a sub!

Alas, the wife saw the SB4000 and literally went haywire to the extent that I can't put a subwoofer in the front right corner where it was previously and now has to go behind the sofa in the rear left (not ideal but it was literally this or no sub) sad as I played the opening scene to T2 and the SB4000 rocked my house foundations and threw decor off the walls

I have about a 35cm of width to play with, depth doesn't really matter as much, can't be too high as it's in front of the Rear Left Kef R3 surround

At the moment I'm running my R7's at full range and they're doing a commendable job (more than I expected and absolutely enough for music - the sb4000 believe it not didn't improve it much and only bloated the sound, maybe needed a bit more tweaking) I clearly need more oomph for movies to underpin the speakers.

So what are my options for the pee wee herman subs? I have to discount tried and tested warriors which are still small like the JLE110 and JLE112, SVS-SB3000/2000 and BK12-300SB -PR as they are simply too big so please don't suggest them as I'd need another wife in that case and though this is annoying I'm quite happy with mine! o_O
  • Kef KF92
    • Pros - Reviewed by a lot of people and rated well for a speaker manufacture sub and is of diminutive size. Measures in room performance so not subjective. Would probably integrate with the rest of the KEF system and if I'm lucky maybe the wife would change her mind about letting it go in the front corner of the room again at a point in time for movies as it looks pretty sexy
    • Cons - price....price.....price

• SB3000 Micro
    • Pros - Size! could pick it up and shove it wherever I wanted, pretty much if I got a wifi transmitter, 2 8" inch drivers so smaller than the Kef albeit in a smaller box. SVS app eq would work well though.
    • Cons - Not seen many reviews or measurements mind you? Would an SB1000pro deliver more? anyone heard both? is £899 a but steep for a 10 inch cube? maybe but not when compared to a Kef KC62 I didn't even bother with on account of atrocious pricing)

• Rel T9i -
    • Pros - Good price at the moment, £799 from Avonline as its about to be replaced, has the 10inch driver and 10 inch passive radiator. Musicality would be good for stereo as well. meant to be exceptionally fast!
    • Cons - Power? Will it give enough extension for movies? (28hz -6db) my R7's in my room go down to 30-40 (it would clearly sound a lot cleaner on a dedicated sub though) biggest of the bunch but still just about fits.
Any experience from owners of the above would be appreciated

Last edited:

I have my new system finally as per the signature but you can probably see that something is missing... a sub!

Alas, the wife saw the SB4000 and literally went haywire to the extent that I can't put a subwoofer in the front right corner where it was previously and now has to go behind the sofa in the rear left (not ideal but it was literally this or no sub) sad as I played the opening scene to T2 and the SB4000 rocked my house foundations and threw decor off the walls

I have about a 35cm of width to play with, depth doesn't really matter as much, can't be too high as it's in front of the Rear Left Kef R3 surround

At the moment I'm running my R7's at full range and they're doing a commendable job (more than I expected and absolutely enough for music - the sb4000 believe it not didn't improve it much and only bloated the sound, maybe needed a bit more tweaking) I clearly need more oomph for movies to underpin the speakers.

So what are my options for the pee wee herman subs? I have to discount tried and tested warriors which are still small like the JLE110 and JLE112, SVS-SB3000/2000 and BK12-300SB -PR as they are simply too big so please don't suggest them as I'd need another wife in that case and though this is annoying I'm quite happy with mine! o_O
  • Kef KF92
    • Pros - Reviewed by a lot of people and rated well for a speaker manufacture sub and is of diminutive size. Would probably integrate with the rest of the KEF system and if I'm lucky maybe the wife would change her mind about letting it go in the front corner of the room again at a point in time for movies as it looks pretty sexy

• SB3000 Micro
    • Pros - Size! could pick it up and shove it wherever I wanted, pretty much if I got a wifi transmitter, 2 8" inch drivers so smaller than the Kef albeit in a smaller box. SVS app eq would work well though.
    • Cons - Not seen many reviews or measurements mind you? Would an SB1000pro deliver more? anyone heard both? is £899 a but steep for a 10 inch cube? maybe but not when compared to a Kef KC6 I didn't even bother with on account of atrocious pricing)

• Rel T9i -
    • Pros - Good price at the moment, £799 from Avonline as its about to be replaced, has the 10inch driver and 10 inch passive radiator. Musicality would be good for stereo as well. meant to be exceptionally fast!
    • Cons - Power? Will it give enough extension for movies? (28hz -6db) my R7's in my room go down to 30-40 (it would clearly sound a lot cleaner on a dedicated sub though) biggest of the bunch but still just about fits.
As an alternative, you could add the SunFire HRS10 which again is a compact woofer. It do have an extra cost to it, but has a frequency response of 20Hz - 100Hz. Again at an extra premium, there is also the SunFire HRS12 which is about the same size as the T9i and then you have the Kef KC62 which is part of Kef's new design for compact woofers

I’m leaning toward 2x 3000 micro at the moment.

I’m keen on just how small it is.

the rel seems like a lot of money for what you are getting, likewise the kef. At least with the SVS you get a seriously powerful amp and two subs for your money.

As an alternative, you could add the SunFire HRS10 which again is a compact woofer. It do have an extra cost to it, but has a frequency response of 20Hz - 100Hz. Again at an extra premium, there is also the SunFire HRS12 which is about the same size as the T9i and then you have the Kef KC62 which is part of Kef's new design for compact woofers

Thanks Shane, I spoke to Cameron in your office this morning! He thinks I should go with the 3000 micro over the Rel T9i, he also believes the Kef KF92 would be better but there is the price premium to pay.... The KC62 whilst small is just too small for my liking for the price (I would rather get a 3000 Micro over this)

The Sunfire i'm sure is a performer but the wife would not accept the look (yes even though its mostly out of sight!)

I’m leaning toward 2x 3000 micro at the moment.

I’m keen on just how small it is.

the rel seems like a lot of money for what you are getting, likewise the kef. At least with the SVS you get a seriously powerful amp and two subs for your money.

I agree mate, here the price issue with the KEF but I feel the duals 9's would still outperform the micro (albeit twice the cost!) clearly not 2 x 3000 micro though. With the 3000 micro I would need to buy the additional wireless kits too.

I think I'm leaning towards the KEF at the moment. any owners of the KF92 out there?

do you not think 2 3000 micros would outperform a KF92 and undercut its price too?

I dont doubt it at all. I just dont know where I would put two unless they're in the same location which would be pointless and probably cause localisation. That’s the issue.....I also don't really fancy paying for the Dirac Bass upgrade to equalise both subs in diagonal corners on the miracle chance that I can use both!

I also need to use a sub wireless receiver for the location this will go in so I don't fancy buying two either...

Have you considered building a false wall and housing all speakers/subs inside it. Seems to be the best possible option with the highest WAF. It'll cost a bit, a lot less if you diy, but well worth it for a long term/forever home.

Failing that, if the Mrs is in charge, consider the JL Audio D110. If you are stretching it to the KF92, do home demo it against the JL Audio E110 and any others you may shortlist.

• Kef KF92
    • Pros - Reviewed by a lot of people and rated well for a speaker manufacture sub and is of diminutive size. Measures in room performance so not subjective. Would probably integrate with the rest of the KEF system and if I'm lucky maybe the wife would change her mind about letting it go in the front corner of the room again at a point in time for movies as it looks pretty sexy

• SB3000 Micro
    • Cons - Not seen many reviews or measurements mind you? Would an SB1000pro deliver more? anyone heard both? is £899 a but steep for a 10 inch cube? maybe but not when compared to a Kef KC62 I didn't even bother with on account of atrocious pricing)

• Rel T9i -

SB1000 Pro as your use is mostly movies. " I clearly need more oomph for movies to underpin the speakers."

SB1000 Pro will outperform the Micro 3000 below 40hz due to larger cabinet so you want the extra performance for blockbuster movies especially if you stick with one sub. This is available in gloss black and white too so should be wife friendly. Price is also low, you should get -10% discount from few forum advertisers if you ask (AVF member discount).

H x W x D mm): With Grille 342 x 330 x 375; Without Grille 342 x 330 x 352

• Kef KF92

• SB3000 Micro

• Rel T9i -
What about the new Rel T7x ?

Would nicely made and polished 'furniture' with built in downward firing subs be acceptable?

A couple of Bk mono pluses can be disguised as furniture.

An SB1000 Pro (330mm wide) in the white or gloss black finishes which look really nice and decent output below 40Hz.

Available from a certain forum sponsor ;) at a great AVF price too.

Best, Tom

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom