Another Which Router Thread

Shooter1

Hi All,

Apologies for another which router thread.

My parents currently have Sky TV (not Q) and sky broadband. The router they have is the SR102.

The wifi signal is terrible and they've asked me:facepalm: to sort it out for them.

I've had a bit of a read around and can see that there are a couple of possible upgrades:

1. TP Link TP Link Router
2. Asus Asus Router

Looking for opinions on which of these is the better option? Ideally I'd like to plug and play (I dont mind having a fiddle around, but I'm not the best!)

Are there any detailed instructions (complete idiot guide) on how to replace the SR102 with the above?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Bluedug

Maybe not what you want but I went with UniFi access points, still using the sky router but the Wi-Fi on it is switched off.

markymiles

Distinguished Member
Yeah similar here. Went with Tp Link Deco M5 x 3 in my house with wifi switched off on Sky router. So much better wifi everywhere now.

outoftheknow

+ another for mesh. Absolutely plug and play and it gives great wifi which is what you are after. Absolutely no need to buy a new modem/router - yoh only want to improve wifi and a small mesh system will do that. They don’t need to faff around changing bands for doing greener devices and personally I would go for the slightly more expensive ones with a dedicated communications channel. Best speeds but all are parent proof! :)

roxyskinflint

Yeah similar here. Went with Tp Link Deco M5 x 3 in my house with wifi switched off on Sky router. So much better wifi everywhere now.
was it an easy set up? been looking at the TP mesh system but heard a few horror stories about sky routers not working very well with them

markymiles

Distinguished Member
was it an easy set up? been looking at the TP mesh system but heard a few horror stories about sky routers not working very well with them

I use mine in AP mode and each is connected to it's own switch hard wired to the routers ports. As I understand it this avoids any double NAT issues.

I have been very happy with it and have wifi at pretty much full speed all over the house and also in my cabin in the garden where there is an extra Deco.

rcaudwell

Using the BT Wholehome mesh system with Sky Broadband and works well

Maverick567

I’ve used both BT Whole Home and Unifi with an Edgerouter doing the routing. I would personally recommend the BT Whole Home for the ease of use. Yes the Unifi kit is better, but for your parents the Whole Home kit will just work!!

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom