1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another which receiver thread...sorry

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by MacReady, Jan 2, 2005.

1. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Just about to buy a new receiver to replace my old Pioneer VSX808.

I am only looking to spend about £250-£300 as I am also replacing other parts of my home cinema so my budget is a bit tight. I have been looking at the following models:

Yamaha RX-V540RDS
    Denon AVR-1905
    Pioneer VSX-D814

I have read what reviews I can find and tried to find all the threads on the forum relating to them. A friend has the Yamaha and I have managed to demo the Pioneer but not got the chance to see and hear the Denon in action.

I will be using Eltax Chroma speakers with the receiver (floor standers at the front and four bi poles at the rear) and a Paradigm PDR10 sub.

Does anyone have any advice on the above amps and the pros and cons of any of them?

2. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Cleric,

Out of those 3 mentioned.

Yam540 is an old model and the x50 series is much better, so based on that I would discontinue it.

Between Den1905 and Pio 814 both are really excellent choices, but for me it probably tips in favour of 814 as it has a practical automatic room calibration (basic system).

Wasabi

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Also consider the Sony DB 795, it's been well received by the av mags.

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85

The only problem is that many members on here have reported hearing major buzzing sounds coming from it during use :(

If you can stretch your budget a few more £ then the Yamaha rxv650 comes into reach at £279
    http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/html/YAM-RXV650TI.htm
    or the rxv450 @ £189
    http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/html/YAM-RXV450TI.htm
    obviuosly the 650 would be my choise:devil:

5. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Dude, you are almost as bad as Falp and his Marantz fetish :):):):) :rotfl: (u know I love you really Falp....and of course Dfour :D )

I do have to agree though, the 650 is a cracking amp. If the budget is tight, the 814 is a very good buy.

I would also avoid the Sony, as it has had many reports of buzzing issues that have been ongoing.

6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I would have happily recommended a Marantz but there is nothing in his price range unless he has good luck finding a cheap 4400/5400 :(

I would also say the 814 is a good second choice

Yeah Kazzy I seem to be on a bit of a mission at the moment, I dont know why.:zonked: Must have been Falp set me off :rolleyes: :rotfl:

7. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

The RXV650 is not out of my price range...I will do a bit of reading up on the model. Thanks again.

8. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    What Marantz would be a good choice ? I can probably go up to about £350 - £400 at a push but I have just persauded my Wife to let me spend an extra few hundred on a projector (and she dosn't even know about how much all the extra cabling is going to cost yet :eek: ) so I dont want to go to too high a price.

9. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    If you can get to £400, then Peter Tyson are selling the £700 Marantz SR7400 for £399 + delivery, now that would blow everything mentioned above out of the water, and at £399, I doubt there is anything else that gets very close to it.
    http://www.petertyson.co.uk/marantzsr7400.shtml The only downside is that it is black only, but hey, for the quality of it, it is more than worth it not being silver at that price.

10. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    What is going ot be the amps main use Cleric? If its movies your better with a Yamaha or Pioneer. The Marantz are better in stereo than most with the denons in the middle somewhere. If you can pust the £400 then the superb AX750SE from Yamaha is in range. See reviews at the top of this forum and many threads about it on this forum:D

11. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    It's main use will be movies. My Wife will play some music on it (in fact I also have to find a nice new CD player around the £150 price to replace my very old Technics player! ) but it will mostly be used for DVD's, Sky+ and the odd Laserdisc.

12. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    :) Dude, The SR7400 is a better movie machine than the Yammy 750 imho, those amps in the SR7400 are rock solid. At £399, there isn't really anything that touches the SR7400. The closer match to the SR7400 would be the Yamaha RXV1400 (which also has THX processing), if you could find one of those at circa £400, I would probably recommend that over the SR7400 given your requirements, but not the AX750SE.

The Yamaha x50 range does outperform the lower Marantz models though, so the 750 is a better buy than the SR5400, and the 650 is a better buy than the SR4400/SR4500.

13. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Just wanted to let everyone know that I opted for the Yamaha RXV650 from Richer Sounds at £269.

I can't wait to try it out but will have to wait until I have fitted all the new kit including projector and screen as I have promised myself that I am going to enjoy all the new kit at the same time...

...will have to order those extra speakers for the back now :D

Thanks again everyone for the advice.

14. john g36

john g36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have go the denon avr 1905 and can say it is a quality amp. Excellent steering plus it has DTS es DDex and pro logicIIx i can heartily recommend it.