1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another "What sub would you recommend?" thread!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Mr Incredible, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,840
    What recommendations would anyone suggest for a sub to match my kit / room? And placement?

[​IMG]

Looking to spend <£500, including S/H route.

:smashin:

2. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,233
    I would have thought that subs worth considering depending on waf would be SVS 20-39PCi around £530 delivered(this is a cylinder shaped sub) you might pick up a second hand 20-39PC+ for around £420.A new PB10-ISD for around £430 (this is a box shaped sub).

BK's Monolith would also be worthy of consideration at around £430 delivered ,there is plenty of info on this site on all of these subs you just need to do a search.

You have a fairly large room and if you want to listen at reference level the 20-39PC+ would be the best option for the subs listed above.

There are plenty of other manufacturers with offerings in this price range but the above subs all give excellent performance and exeptional value for money as they are all sold direct from the manufacturers (at the moment) and therfore no profit for the middleman giving you more bang for your buck.

Regarding placement it depends on which sub you go for but I have my SVS 20-39PC+ in the rear of the room and it works fine for me although as a general rule, at front in a corner is usually advised.

Final placement of a sub can be critical to get the best results and moving it a few inches or so in one direction or another can give a dramatic difference.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Normally between either the left or right speaker and the centre will be the best but play around with placement and see if anywhere else sounds better.

You have a fairly large room which means a powerful sub if you want bass at fairly loud volumes. The SVS PB-10 or BK Monolith both at about £400 would seem to be the obvious contenders for a new sub but £500 is an awkward sum for second hand and it depends on what comes on the market.

4. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,840
    There was a PB-12ISD F/S in here recently. I presume that would also do the job?

5. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +439
    I second the 20-39PC+ but bear in mind that these Sub's are NOT magnetically shielded. This took away the two main positions that i was going to use, and now the Sub resides halfway along the R/H wall.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Any SVS would do the job for you as they are all powerful beasties.

7. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    <shameless plug>
    I recommend my Paradigm Servo-15 which is for sale in the classifieds section here...
    </shameless plug>

:D