Another 'what should I upgrade to' post

FugaziFan

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. New here, but have been lurking and reading for a while. Hoping to get some help to make sure I'm heading in the right direction on an upgrade to my stereo system.

What I currently have is:

Audio technical's LP-120 turntable (with the internal phono removed)
Shiit Audio Mani Phono
Shiit Audio SYS (switcher & volume control)
Mackie MR5 studio monitors
LogiTech bluetooth adaptor

This isn't an ideal system, I know, but it was a starting point, and I already had the monitors when I got the turntable, so built the system around those.

I'm now ready to upgrade pretty much everything except for the turntable, with a new integrated amp and passive speakers. I may also keep the Mani. I don't have a huge budget for this, maybe up to AU$1500 (gear isn't overly cheap here in Australia, and not everything is available).

I've settled on a Yamaha R-N602 as one has come up used in great condition, so it's really just down to speakers now. Specifically, I'm looking for bookshelf speakers, that will sit on top of a cabinet, close to a wall behind them, and will be used primarily for listening to music (vinyl and from Apple Music) in our lounge room/kitchen (it's an open design, medium sized room). I'm leaning towards the ELAC B6.2's, due to the positive reviews online and the front port, but other options that are available are the Q Acoustics 3020i's, or I could maybe stretch my budget to KEF Q150's.

Does anyone think I am on the right path for gear, or should I be looking at something else? Also, should I be expecting a decent step up with moving to a separate amp and passive speakers over using the Mackie's? One other reason I'm wanting to go down this path is so that I can rig up some passive speakers outside on our deck, and be able to switch between them, which I can't do with the current set up.

Thanks for any help!

Hey FugaziFan, the first step is to go listen to speakers in shops if you're able to. Reviews can be very deceiving, in that they're often a reflection of the reviewer's preferences.

Also, there's not really a correlation between quality and active/passive speakers. Some posters on here swear by active!

Matt

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom