1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

another... "what do ya think about this " thread..

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by eddiewww, May 16, 2003.

1. eddiewww

eddiewww

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    hi guys..

i put a thread up a wee while ago about "what to buy ?" ... i had a look at the sticky on recommended bits.... but to be honest, the idea of getting all the bits together myself and all the associated hastle of packing it into a pretty case and then spending hours tweaking... just doesn't apeal .... i am at work now and it is nearly 7.30 at night... i may get home before 11...its bad enough finding time to watch stuff on my HT...never mind building something to start off with !!

anyway... i saw this thread...http://www.******.co.uk/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=417&start=0&rid=&S=8eab0db7d021dce069a5b4cf2b96fbfd and the specs looked great... the bits came to about £2K .. then i looked at this.. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Full_Systems_43.html the Ultima Pentium IV 'Northwood' 3.06B GHz HyperThreading System at about £1.6K ...
    it looks a good buy to me....

what do you guys think !!

cheers

eddie...........

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £1.6k is serious overkill for HCPC use.

An uber gaming rig can be built far cheaper also. Depends on what your main priorities are.

BTW, an AMD PC should be far cheaper & out perform all but the most extreme P4 rigs.

3. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well,
    if i was to spend my hard earned 2k(which would NEVER happen) on a pc, i would firstly stick to processors that are in a resonable price range. For example a P4 2.4GHz cost about £135, while the top 3ghz cost £350+. And the speed increase will not be worth £215!! The £215 you have saved on not purchasing the top processor, you could upgrade to some components that you could not afford before.

I feel this is the biggest mistake potential pc buys go through. The 3Ghz will only be Intels best processor for a couple of months, and then the price will half, Litrally!

But if you are happy to spend TWO THOUSAND pounds on a computer, this seems like a very nice machine.

4. eddiewww

eddiewww

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    serious overkill...perhaps..

your talking to a Meridian owner... overkill is my life and blood !!!

i just want a fast machine, loads of HDD and RAM... thats it basically...i want to rip my current stock of DVD's so i can play them on my PDA...

dont think i need a super spec graphics card or sound..

need a great looking case though !

the fact i could use it for HTPC is a bonus really...

mmm..see what you mean by overkill ! any other sugestions ?

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about an XP1700+ @ 2.4gHz on air cooling? Will wipe the floor with a 2.8 P4 :eek: & <£50!

I've just built another PC over the weekend - not quite finished yet, but total cost should be <£1000 & I'd expect it will equal/out perform any "preassembled" PC costing at least twice that.

I prefer AMD PCs & with a dual DDR m'board & good ram - pretty fast!

6. eddiewww

eddiewww

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    fancy a wee project then Kramer !!

7. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what are your needs ?

do you handle alot of lage files such as photographs ?
    if you dont 512mb of 400mhz ram will be more than enough.

Overclocking is not for everyone. The life span of the components get reduced considerbly. But if the processor is only £50, then there is not a problem.

maybe a ATI 9500pro would be better if you are not a gamer as it is the best value for money card on the market, and it is extremly fast. So no worries about playing game for about a year.

If hard drive space is important, you could get a motherboard with raid controller, and put 2x200GB. Both on there own IDE sockets. Im sure this wouldnt be a problem as you would be saving so much money on the stuff you would have bought. I also noticed that the machine from OCuk didnt have a DVD writer. You could easily afford one.

It just makes sense. Technologically Graphics cards and Processors are the fastest moving components. So spending alot of money on them is just silly.

any way, good luck

8. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Always :)

9. eddiewww

eddiewww

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    see your PM's kramer..

10. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Really ?!? that is amazing !

where did you get your processor from ?
    whats Heatsink/fans are you using ?

I know it is possible to get a 1800+ to 2ghz, but never knew that it was possible.

(BTW where did you buy your unlocked CPU from?)

11. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I had an XP1800+ (1.53gHz stock) 100% stable @ 1.95gHz (& it was a bad stepping).

Currently have an XP2400+ (2.0gHz stock) 100% 24/7 stable @ 2.5gHz :eek:

Only a certain stepping XP1700+ can do 2.4 on air & should hit (most have) 2.7gHz with watercooling. My PC is 100% watercooled (CPU, GPU & n/bridge).

BTW, most new nForce chipset mainboards automatically unlock thoroughbred chips - no physical unlocking necessary :clap:

Having said that, I manually unlocked my XP2400+ as it was in a KT333 board & runs at 207 fsb X 12.5.

eddie

Just replied ;)

12. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just woundering(as im not really an hardcore overclocker) does a 1800+ overclocked to 2ghz create more heat than a stock 2ghz ?

13. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    A few tips.

You really don't want to overclock a HTPC, where stability and correct behavior is EVERYTHING.

AMD solutions have a long history of being poor for HTPC and AudioPC applications.

Match the performance of the PC to the applications you want to run. If you want to play T2 HD you will need a 3Ghz PC or there abouts. Playing DVDs (without FFDShow) requires a much less powerful PC.

14. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stability & correct behaviour - never had a problem ;)

Again, never had ANY problems in that department (or any other department come to think of it) with a range of Via chipset (AMD) PCs. Different story with the new nForce mobo I've just acquired, but I'm sure I'll solve any probs shortly.

I don't think 3ghz is required for T2 - more like 2.4gHz. Certainly no problems with an AMD @ 2.5gHz - will try some WMP9 HD stuff @ 2.0gHz later.

:smoke:

15. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :D