Another VT30 vs VT50 Thread when the VT30 is 899...

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
So I was all ready to save up for my new TV and being a plasma fan was looking at the Panasonic's and the VT50 range thinking about the 50" one which seems to be around £1700 or so depending on where you get it from.

However walked into Costco today and they had the 50VT30 at £899 inc VAT.

That's not a price to be sniffed at. :)

I have read the various issues or at least started to but have these been resolved via firmware or are better in later manufacturer models?

Is there anything else I should consider as a competitor?

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
So I was all ready to save up for my new TV and being a plasma fan was looking at the Panasonic's and the VT50 range thinking about the 50" one which seems to be around £1700 or so depending on where you get it from.

I have read the various issues or at least started to but have these been resolved via firmware or are better in later manufacturer models?

With the VT30 you run the risk of green blobs, magenta noise etc etc.
If you want to save some cash how about the ST50?
It has the same AR coating as the VT30 but has the benefit of better blacks, better motion, better colours and much less dithering. ;)

abbo

I have a late model 50vt30 and have no blobs, patches, fan noise, white buzz whatsoever! And, I am very fussy. That is a fantastic buy my friend.

abbo

It does have the 50hz bug though, but all Panny Plasmas suffer with this. If it really bothers you, you need to stay away from them all. But this is only on broadcast TV, not BD or Computer stuff.
But all large screen TV's seem to have their problems, its just finding the one you can live with. Personally, I cant watch an LED TV for more than half an hour before noticing issues.......my Sammy 55d7000 only lasted 3 months in my room!

D

Deleted member 507786

I would and have gone for the GT50, I would also consider the ST50 - both are better.

MultiRoom

If it's about a VT50 vs a VT30:

At those prices, the VT30 every time.

The VT50 is not twice as good as the VT30.

I own a VT30, and I cannot say that I see any of the regularly reported faults, and I've looked for them.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
I am currently doing up my lounge with plan to replace my trusty Pioneer 436XDE with a newer model.

The problem with the current set of tv's is you can always as somebody else said pick one up at half price when they are 18 months old and the new model is released.

So the ST50 is probably the closest in terms of price if I only want to spend 900 - 1000 but is it that much better or am I losing a few features.

Thegelman have you seen both in action as a comparison at all?

fluxo

Distinguished Member
If I were choosing, it would be difficult. On the one hand you have the
picture quality. I would say the ST50 probably edges it although I have
some reservations about the new dithering.

On the other hand, you have the aesthetics and build quality. The ST50
is pretty horrible looking and clearly quite cheaply made. The remote is
a ghastly thing, too, when you compare it to the VT30's remote.

I know PQ is the most important thing. But I cannot help but find the
ST50's design really off-putting.

D

Deleted member 507786

I am currently doing up my lounge with plan to replace my trusty Pioneer 436XDE with a newer model.

The problem with the current set of tv's is you can always as somebody else said pick one up at half price when they are 18 months old and the new model is released.

So the ST50 is probably the closest in terms of price if I only want to spend 900 - 1000 but is it that much better or am I losing a few features.

Thegelman have you seen both in action as a comparison at all?

Hi

I have seen the 42st50 and both are seriously good. I would be happy with either. One area the Gt50 I am impressed with is the contrast and dynamic range which on the Vt30 is poor in my honest opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
fluxo said:
If I were choosing, it would be difficult. On the one hand you have the
picture quality. I would say the ST50 probably edges it although I have
some reservations about the new dithering.

On the other hand, you have the aesthetics and build quality. The ST50
is pretty horrible looking and clearly quite cheaply made. The remote is
a ghastly thing, too, when you compare it to the VT30's remote.

I know PQ is the most importantn thing. But I cannot help but find the
ST50's design really off-putting.

You have no taste the st looks very nice ;)
The dithering is miles less visable unlike the 30 series where dithering was something i noticed right away. Not overly off putting on the 30 series but it was there, but with the 50 series they deliver much cleaner image.

I use to own a 55"vt30. Now an st50 imo the difference is big enough for the extra cash.

Plastic Sith

I have a 55" VT30 and a 50" VT50 and I can't hand on heart say the 50 is £800 better than the 30.

Of course the issues some have experienced with the 30 are well known so the 50 is less of a risk in that respect (mine shows no evidence of the faint band some are exhibiting and if it is there, it's a complete non-issue).

Styling of the 30 is v. similar to the gt50 but with a larger bezel. I do notice that more after watching the 50! 30 is one sheet of glass though and looks very smart.

I too prefer the vt30 remote to the new one but that's hardly a deal breaker!

Try and demo them both and good luck on whatever you decide.

branny

Bought my VT30 from Costco on Wednesday. You do of course get 90 days to simply change your mind and return plus a 5 year warranty. If I get any probs then it goes straight back for a full refund / swap to a newer model. Was a no broader for me.

leeboy22001

Excellent :), you won't regret buying it :)

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Well after all that excitement and build up I pop into Costco to pick up one.

It was on offer at £899 and it ran out on Sunday.

No !!!! :mad:

Back up to £1199 so back to the drawing board.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom