1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Velodyne CHT-10 Review

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Ian Cox, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I got home last night my shiny new Velodyne CHT-10 subwoofer was waiting for me, curtsey of Uncle Eric. First of all the service from Eric is first class, he can not do enough for you. I would thoroughly recommend buying from Eric, I ordered the sub on Thursday and it arrived Monday, top service Sir.

Anyway onto the review. The box for this thing is huge and when I saw it I wondered what the hell I had ordered. Then I picked it up, this thing is heavy! Anyway once I got it out of the box the sub looks the business, very well made and looks good even in black. The sub is fairly big so if you do order one make sure it fits in the space that you have allocated and definitely make sure that the wife/girlfriend will not mind a great big black box sitting in the front room. Luckily mine sits behind the TV so you can not see it, only hear it.

This is my second sub, I had a KEF PSW1000 before which can be loosely described as a subwoofer, so I could not wait to get the Velodyne fired up. The CHT-10 is really easy to set up, set all speakers to small then run the test tones and get the levels balanced between the sub and the rest of the speakers (use a sound level meter if you have got one, it makes the job much easier).

I then put on a couple of DVD's and I was impressed straight away. The CHT-10 just underpins all the speakers and most of the time your just don't realise that it is there. It has an effect of making the whole soundstage come to life and soundtracks have that bit more grunt. But once there is some serious LFE then it really springs into life. This sub is loud, goes really low but with hardly any distortion. I don't know what my neighbours are going to think and I only listen at 20dB below reference, a sub like this must be frightening at reference levels.

As you can guess I am really pleased with the sub and if you are thinking of getting one and have around £300 to spend get one of these, you will not be disappointed and will be grinning from ear to ear :D :D

2. Reano

Reano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I can certainly say Eric is fantastic. I had a little problem with my delivery due to me not being in, etc but I got the CHT-12 beast over the Christmas period.
    Here's my story. I had a Yamaha 205 a very reasonable sub but not enough for what I wanted. So I trawled through this forum and decided to buy from Eric. Now I sent him a cheque for several hundred pounds based purely on this forum. I had not seen him or anything. Anyway I convinced the wife that we really needed a new sub and one of the days while she was at work, the box arrived. I thought my god what have I done!! The sub was fairly big too so what I did was moved the old sub out upstairs and put the Velodyne in it's place. At first my wife didn't notice but I made the mistake of forgetting to lower the volume when I was playing Star Wars attack of the clones, you know the opening scene with the explosion off the plane. Well my wife soon found out about the Veloydne. We had to re-organise the furniture but I'm glad to say I still have it :D

3. UZUBAIRU

UZUBAIRU

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I also bought this sub based solely on the reviews. I previously was using a toy sub (Polk Audio). I always felt there was something missing in the crash, bang wallop.
    The CHT-10 has changed all that. With the modest system that I own,(Fr 603s3 , Avr3801, 656A) the difference it made was amazing.
    Band of Brothers, The Matrix, Blade, Monsters Inc, to name but a few all sound so much better. I didn't think that changing the sub would make that much difference to the overall sound, but it has.
    It is the best purchase I've made in years.
    I hate having to go to work every day now. I want to stay at home and watch all my discs again with my new sub.
    It is a very well made piece of kit (mine is silver) and I am extremely happy with.
    The service from Eric was 1st Class.

Umu

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can only add to and continue the praise for both Uncle Eric's superb service and the excellent performance of the Velodyne CHT-10.

Ian's comment that the "The CHT-10 just underpins all the speakers" is exactly how I feel about this sub, it doesn't just improve on the sub I had (Rel Q150), it actually makes each individual speaker sound better. You get this feeling that at the LF end of things, the Velo is providing such a strong foundation for the rest of the system to build on.

Excellent sub, fantastic price and from a vendor I'd recommend, without reservation, to anyone.

5. Dave N

Dave N
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ditto
    R
    Dave