1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Upgrade Question.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by sapper, Jun 20, 2003.

1. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    HI,

Whilst it was six months ago, due to British Foriegn Policy, I have only just been able to liten to my christmas present in any detail, namely my Monitor Audio Gold Refererence 60's with XT-400 cable, Biamped with Audiolab 8000S and 8000PX. CD is Marantz 6000Ki.

The sound is very clear, and detail, well I am hearing percussian on soem CD's that I have never really heard before. :smashin:

However, I find the system at times too laid back. Spin a real energetic track, and the energy, the life of the track doesnt always escape from the track, if that makes sense.

I am tempting to arrange a home demo of a more expensive CD player, to begin with to see if it makes a difference. After all, I have a £400 CD player feeding ~£1600 of amplification powering £2,500 speakers!!

Another thought is to acquire another Audiolab 8000PX to tri-amp the speakers! Would this be a sensible upgrade if a 8000PX was to becoem available?

Which CD player(s) should I consider auditioning? Price range, I am not sure, say £750 - £1000? ISH?? :smashin:

Adrian

2. Zefram

Zefram

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    perhaps musical fidelity A3.2, I got the A3 for a bargin and iots the dogs

3. Chrissywis

Chrissywis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would certainly consider upgrading the CD player before doing anything with the amps as, no matter how good the rest of the system, if you do not feed it a decent signal you're unlikely to get a good result. Arcam make some good CDPs, or if you're feeling rich why not try a Meridian, I believe they're about £1100.

4. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Adrian

Got your pm, will reply asap.

If you have to do it one a time I would upgrade the CD and then the amp.

There is a lot for you to choose from around £1k but I wouldn't say the Meridian 507 or Arcam FMJ will give you a more forward or exciting sound, they are both good sounding CD players worth a listen though.

Naim 3.5 or 5 spring to mind as the most dynamic CD payers at a grand.

Adding a TAG DAC20 or Chord DAC64 and using your 717 as a transport is worth invesigating. You can then sell the Marantz :).

The MF CD's are awesome but more about detail/timing and soundstage than aggressive impact imo. For my money the 3.2 is the best at £1k but I doubt it's the sound you are after.

Before buying anything I would listen to a few CD players with a serious pre/power (£4k up) with the 60's. This will give you an idea as to adding another power or moving to a different amp altogether in the future.

Also look at cables as a way to tailor the sound a bit. You have a short run to the speakers so I would suggest at least Chord Odyssey --- Kimber, Nordost or Isolda would be better. For IC's Chord, DNM and Isolda are all fine.

For any of the "cables are snake oil" brigade, most are available sale or return and most dealers have demo sets to loan for a returnable deposit so you can make up your own mind for free.

HTH

Gus

5. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Than you Gus for your time, and opinions. :smashin:

I am contemplating in getting the Arcam DV 88plus, or even the 89 if my A1 has 6 inputs, will check but soemone on another thread thinks the A1 might have 6 channel inputs. :smoke:

So I might get the Arcam frist, and if that doesnt make any difference, then upgrade my marantz totally or get a DAC for the Arcam.

Gus, where do you have your GFX speakers, ear level or higher?

Adrian

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Too laid back? I find that very strange, with the Audiolabs & Monitor Audio speakers it should be VERY detailed (I have a 8000S myself)

I would recommend getting a Tag DAC20 (also have one) as this'll improve the Marantz and any other digital source.

Keep the Marantz purely as a CD transport.

7. RhythMick

RhythMick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I have changed and upgraded over the last 5 years more times than I can shake a stick at as I gradually came to settle on the sound I was happy with. Along the way I've tried several of the players recommended in this thread inc Meridian 506, 507, 508, AudioNote 2.1, MF A3CD, NAD, Arcam CD72. I would heartily recommend the Musical Fidelity, either the 3.2 (which I've just bought 2nd hand and haven't heard in my kit yet) or the 3 (which I have heard in my kit - my brother's player).

I use Cary 300B Signature amps, driving AudioNote AN-e speakers. I use Garrard 401 with SME/Shure for analogue and currently use the AudioNote 2.1 CD player. Both AN and MF players give plenty of detail, soundstage and are technically wonderful. The MF leaves everything I've heard standing for sheer involvement and emotion. It's perfectly happy playing jazz, classical, modern folk rock (eg Shawn Mullins), vocals (Norah Jones really does want to come away with me, apparently - previously I thought she was just singing a song - I've sought out her address and I'm told the stalking charges won't stick ...) :laugh:

We set up my kit so that we could A/B between the AN and the MF. Everything we played, the AN sounded exquisitely detailed and technically perfect - but the MF made it sound flat.

Of course, it might all be different with your kit/room/ears/taste ... :thumbsup:

Cheers

8. RhythMick

RhythMick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry for double-posting. but I forgot to say. The reason I posted is that your description of your current system and what you're looking for is identical to what I've just been through. "Technically great but laid back". The MF adds grip, dynamics, slam and emotional involvement without losing the detail.

9. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Sapper,
    In your situation I'd look to add a decent DAC to the system. You'd get a bigger improvment than adding a £1000 CD player. Spend the money wisely on a Tag DAC 20 of MF Trivista. You'd be lucky to get a Chord DAC 64 for under £1200 S/H. The DAC 64 is also quite fussy.
    337GUS,
    Sorry to disagree with you but the Naim CD players would not be a good match for an already bright system. Naim tends to be on the harsher side of bright and MA tends towards the same. Not a good match.
    Sapper,
    Maybe look towards Exposure or Quad for a better match with MA. (This is assuming you're happy with your speakers!)
    I wouldn't bother with the extra amp, unless you are planning to go active with the crossovers. The only benefit i've found in passive tri-amping over bi-amping is slightly better bass extension and a slightly more transparent mid range. Not a great deal to be gained by doing it. Of course if they can be had at the right price then that's a different matter.
    Best I've ever heard the MA 60's was attached to REGA Jupiter, Cursa and 4 exons. Brilliantly musical and very detailed. Just a hint, or opinion I suppose some of the lesser known brands get a lot more out of the music than the main stream ones.
    Hope this helps

10. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    No problem, but I disagree :) :devil:

I actually own a Naim system which I swap in and out of the main hifi and find it a very entertaining sound. Highly rhythmic and great for rock music. It also handles my analogue front end in a different but no less enjoyable way to the Dino, MF and other phono stages I have. Just becasue you think Naim and MA don't match doesn't mean someone else should rule the combination out of the picture completely. Everyone has different hearing and room acoustics to deal with, one man's meat is another's poison as they say.

Have to wholeheartedly agree here. I am still pondering a change to the Exons as replacements to my MF powers. They are very impressive and the most enjoyable one make system I have heard to date was a Rega Jupiter/Cursa/Exon/R9.

ATB

Gus

11. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi 337GUS,
    Wasn't meaning to sound rude or anything. :) I agree the Naim sound can be very involving, Can't remember the make of speaker that name sounds incredible with, Shaninian or something? The only reason I said what I did was that sapper is already having trouble with a bright system. But like you say one mans meat and all.