1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another undecided beginner

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by FruitBat, Feb 1, 2005.

1. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    I know nothing.

Now that's out of the way, here are my thoughts.

I want a digital camera. Reasonably compact, but taking decent snapshots. I wanted AA batteries (I've been caught out with other equipment before).

From reading this forum, I've concluded:
    1. A lot of you like Canon. From what I can see, the small ones don't use AA. The ones that use AA (x4) are a bit bulky.
    2. The Sony W1 (W12) is well liked. I came close to buying this, but I'm a bit put off by the memory sticks, plus I think it's more than I need.

I'm just coming round to the Nikon Coolpix 3200. Should be adequate. Seems to be unavailable in a lot of places now.

BUT
    Now I read (dpreview) that 2 new Canons are coming out. Powershot A510 and A520. These seem to be a similar size to the Coolpix. They use 2 AA batteries. Could this be what I was looking for? Perhaps the more experienced members could give their thoughts on these 2 new models.

2. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    I use an A95 Canon which I don't find too bulky and it take 4 AA batteries. 5mp with lots of options to cater for you as you learn more. These can be had for a very reasonable price is you search about. Depends how much you want to spend.

3. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No comment on cameras.... but I would not eliminate choices for the sake of battery type. I used to feel the same way as you but having used a compact camera with dedicated Li-ion battery - it is not an issue. New cameras are not as power hungry as their predecessors and in any case the special batteries can be bought via ebay from hong kong for little money.
    As an example my wifes Canon ixus 500 will fill a 256Mb card and then spend a considerable time in review mode without a battery problem. Spare batteries from ebay were about £10 delivered for two.

4. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    I appreciate this point (and I guess that Li-ion batteries are the best), but I was thinking more of the situation where the batteries run out on holiday. maybe I'm being a bit over cautious.

5. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    I suppose I should really try one out. Perhaps "too bulky" is over-stating it. Mind you, it must be noticably heavier.