1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another TV recommendation thread

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Mr_Fantastic, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Hi all,
    I'm new to this forum and wanted some advice on a TV purchase. I want a 28 inch CRT, a 32 inch would be better but I don't think I will find a decent one for the £500-£550 maximum I have to spend. I want an integrated freeview decoder (iDT) with a good picture. I also wanted to avoid the problems that some of the TV's seem to have, JVC not being able to adjust brightness on RGB Scart, Panasonic auto switching and anything else like that. The sound is not too important as long as it has audio out to hook up to a AV Receiver. As many Scart sockets (preferably RGB) as possible, fasttext (although the majority should have that now). I would prefer to keep the price down below the figure above but would consider spending that much if it is something special. I hope you can help me as I am getting no where trying to decide on a TV, I have been around the local TV shops and the signals to their sets are so bad it is impossible to judge the picture quality. So some recommendations please. Many thanks in advance.

Mr_Fantastic

2. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would recommend Sony IDTVs, based on my experience of their picture quality and usability of EPGs etc. If you were prepared to go a little over budget you could get a 32DX51 which looks pretty special (in my opinion). If you really are happy to settle for a 28" you may as well go for the 28DL11 because that would give enough money left over to buy a digital video recorder. Recording onto analogue half-resolution VHS just doesn't seem right when you're used to the quality of digital TV!

I normally 'test drive' new IDTVs in John Lewis because it's the only place I've found where they have a good RF signal going in and you can compare the different EPGs and other digital features. If you do this, try using the digital text on each one as some are so slow that they'll send you running back to analogue teletext in shear frustration. :eek:

3. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Thanks TV Headache for the recommendations. I will have a look at the Televisions in John Lewis as you suggested and I will try the Digital text as I wasn't aware that some of them are very slow. I will check the prices on the Sonys you recommended as well, would you say only get a TV that I have seen working to check that it has no imperfections/problems or would you buy from an online reseller as they can be far cheaper? Many thanks and all the best.

Mr_Fantastic

4. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I personally would only buy a the same model as I have seen working because a) the digital performance varies and b) I don't tend to agree with some of the reviews I've read. For example What Video described a certain TV as the "Best Ever" but I found its picture to be very un-natrual so I would definitely recommend seeing for yourself. Having said that, if I saw a model I liked in a shop but knew that the exact same TV was £200 cheaper on the web I'd take a small risk and buy on-line.

5. No-One

No-One

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Is this only a recent thing? My nearly 5 yr old JVC lets me adjust brightness and contrast on the rgb scarts. Also there's an option in the service menu called "TEXT(RGB)CONT" which I had to increase when I first got it.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    IDTV choice is still stupidly limited........ SONY and Panny are the main contenders offerring a range of features JVC and Philips IDTV ranges are small and the budget manufacturers seem out of it Toshiba are missing and so to an extent are Loewe But i reconmend you add Component inputs to your wants list they used to be utter luxury on a 28/32 CRT but all 3 major consoles and almost all entry DVD recorder and players now have component outputs.......ideally i would look for 1 x component input 1x RGB scart and 1 x S-video/composite scart as minimum connectivity. unfortunatley this seriously limits choice. and i dont think there are any in budget... http://www.sony.co.uk/ShowProduct.do?site=odw_en_GB&category=TVP+Digital+TV&product=KD-28DX200 is close 2 RGB scarts but no component and £680 online
    JVCAV28D40 is closer still having component inputs 3 scarts 2 of which are RGB (can you not alter brightness via service menu? I know some JVC's are Dark but you can adjust Tube brightness in service menu then adjust the others back down a bit) http://www.jvc.co.uk/product.php?id=HV-28D40BK&catid=100058&lid=
    and £550 from http://www.digital-point.co.uk/ although i wouldn't reconmend you buy from them.............See what you think but well worth a demo in my opinion...

7. Mr_Fantastic

Mr_Fantastic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I've seen a number of people complain about this but I haven't tested any JVC TV's to verify it. This would really be a problem as some of the DVD's etc are very dark and the brightness needs to be increased to make them watchable. I have some DivX and XVid movies that are very dark and the brightness definately needs to be increased also, they do on my PC so they would on a XVid DVD player. I don't think using a service menu is a very good way of doing it, I can understand why JVC did it, but it does seem a bad way of doing things. I like the look of the JVC HV-28D40 as I like the dark surround around the TV (I don't like silver TV's) and the Sony you gave a URL to is also dark as well, I will investigate the JVC RGB isssue and look around for some lower prices on the Sony. I thought that RGB Scart was all that was necessary, is it progressive scan with the component input that is the advantage? I'm not familiar with the advantages of these features. Thanks everyone for the input as it gives me more information to think about before making a decision.

Mr_Fantastic