1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Tivo or Sky+ thread

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by common, Mar 13, 2002.

1. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    @£199 and after reading the glowing reports from this forum I think the Tivo is the machine for me, but as I only watch Sky and would like to record one channel while watching another SKY+ does have some features I would like.

Do you think the price of Sky+ will come down in the coming months ? as currently I can get the Tivo plus a lifetime subscription for only £50 more than Sky+ with install

Thanks

2. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cant see Sky reducing the Sky+ price yet as..(corect me someone if i'm wrong) they are selling the box's at a loss and thats part reason for them charging an extra £10 a month.

If its any help to you I think Sky+ is great but I subscribe to the sky movies package (not sports) and its a whopping £42 per month:eek:

The new Tivo 2 may bring down the price of the Tivo something to look out for if/when it reaches the UK

Taz.:cool:

3. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can, of course, record one programme whilst watching a recording on TiVo and you can begin to watch a recording before TiVo has completed the same recording!

4. specky

specky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where have you got your information from? How much of a loss are they making per box/subscription?

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    There was a question and answer session with some of the SKY+ development team a couple of months ago.

They stated that the subscription was in part to recoup the costs of the box which were being sold below cost and the rest went into developing the software.
    My guess is one years subscription easily covers the loss on the hardware but then factor in the cost of the LNB and then it's anybodies guess.
    Personally I would have preferred SKY+ sold at cost+profit (£500 maybe) and the whole subscription payment never introduced.

Middle ground would be to copy the TIVO's example and give the consumers the choice of subscription or a single playment.

6. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks starburst... saved me all that typing:D

this is the 3rd reply i have seen your name behind mine...are you following me! ;) :D

Taz.:cool:

7. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Skyplus+ will be reduced by £100 from 26th March to 4th June, as a "special offer".
    Sky usually use this tactic to hurry along potential purchasers, come 4th June the "offer" will no doubt be extended further, to the surprise of no one.

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Interesting:)
    Now if the BBC started broadcasting DD5.1 I'd buy a second box to replace my old Pace for the lounge having just got a DD amp for the DVD player downstairs.
    A crying shame you'd have to pay another tenner to record on a second SKY+ though:(

9. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    So what happened to the price reduction then ?

No change on the web site and the telephone sales people know nothing about any price reduction.

What was the source of the information ?

Thanks,

Mark

10. conington

conington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Noticed the discount of £100 and couldn't resist, phoned SKY this morning, they are not offering such a discount to individuals just the retailers. They still quote £300 + £50 installation. I was still interested but wanted to ensure that they would install by next Thursday due to being at home until then ..... they would not confirm the leadtime for installation until I had placed and paid for the order !!!!! No deal .... has anyone any suggestions by way of retailers in the Colchester area ?

11. specky

specky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just placed my order a few days ago - the lead time is 7-10 days, mine is arriving tomorrow (Yippee!).