Another throw distance question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by u8myufo, Dec 24, 2006.

1. u8myufo

u8myufo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    After deciding what my budget would be, I am now down to the likes of the Optoma 72i, Z5, themescene etc. attached is a crap drawing of my viewing area. I will keep the telly where it is so the screen will be tight against a wall, distance from top of screen to top of telly is 58 inches, from screen to PJ is 12 feet. I was wondering what I need to take into account here.

Considering which PJ`s have better lense shift than others, do I have the PJ ceiling mounted and the throw angled down to the screen?, up to the screen?, level?, or put it on a shelf at just above head height on the wall?

Depending on the reccomended position of the PJ, which model would best suite this? Any help would be great.

Attached Files:

• pj.jpg
      pj.jpg
      Size:
      3.4 KB
      Views:
  2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,184
    I have a similar setup. I sit on the right side and have a 28" widescreen TV opposite. I have the 6ft screen ceiling mounted (4:3 size) which can go up and down above the TV and about 2" from the wall behind. I sit 9.5 feet from the screen and decided to buy a tall stand which allows me to position the PJ on the top and have it oppposite the screen at the height I want. I then sit next to the stand. The bottom of the 16:9 image is about 4" above the top of the TV.

I decided against mounting on the ceiling because 1 - I don't think the ceiling will take it and 2 - I probably have to use a lot of keystone to get the image where I want it. Where the PJ is now requires no keystone.

I also think it is better not to even to use lens shift.

3. u8myufo

u8myufo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for that info, things seem a little clearer now. Btw which Pj do you own?

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,184
    Up to a week a go a Panasonic PTAE100 and now a BenQ W100.

I made this simple page ages ago and it shows my screen. It is nothing special but it works well for what I want.

http://www.apah20.dsl.pipex.com/pj/pjsetup.htm

I have the BenQ where the Panasonic was. The Panasonic is now under the BenQ. I am not sure what to do with it now but I don't really want to get rid off it. It has been too good to me.

5. Critters

Critters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Can we get a photo of it in the dark, or even better, just dimmer light?
    BTW, nice idea using a blind.

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,184
    I can't see the screen in the dark. I just get the picture from the PJ.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/8546/indarkft4.jpg

When I bought the Panasonic. I spent all my money on it so could only afford a blackout blind. It was £20 from Argos. I go another for the window to darken the room during the day.