Another Technofan Saturday Ramble.....

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Pete Delaney, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +655
    Today I'm encouraging everyone to hang a picture over the weekend.

Spoil yourself and buy a 'half decent' frame:eek: Sit at your computer and find that work of art and print it out!! It's been in the form of 1s and 0s far too long!

I found that Wilkinsons do a cheap 20x16 frame, with a lovely cream border, that is jet black and quite thick and sturdy. It looks like it costs much more (which is why I use them). I went for the same frame and border format to create a fab effect.....my lounge looks like an art gallery...but hey...it really makes me happy and visitors to the house love to look and comment.:p

I had always printed out the odd picture now and then but have YOU??:cool:

Why not find a frame and border you like..so that you can use the same style in the future and go ahead.

I hope someone is convinced to go out this weekend and hang a picture or even take a picture this weekend and do the same (you can't beat fresh work);)

Trust me... you'll thank me. There are so many great pictures on the forum that I needed to have a Saturday Ramble about it:smashin:

Pete.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  2. =adrian=

=adrian=
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,371
    I'm thinking about ordering a canvass of one of my photos to hang on one of my livingroom wall for ages now. What's stopping me is lack of suitable photo. I'm yet to take a perfect picture that I'll be happy to look at for years to come. Maybe one day.

I do have a portrait of my son on other wall though. It's been there for few months and I still enjoy looking at it.

3. =adrian=

=adrian=
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,371
    Forgot to add, that I got the picture professionally framed and this was more expensive than the print + delivery, much more expensive.

4. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,483
    Can you purrup a link to the Wilko's frame ?

5. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +655
    Very odd... I can't see it anywhere on the website.... re-measured and it is a 20x16" frame...or 40 by 30cm.

Don't know why it isn't listed but my local shop has nothing like the selection listed on the website....clearly it's a case of finding a shop.:(

6. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +655
    That's normally the case.... I have a Canon IX6550 A3+ printer and I use compatible ink cartridges. The results are great. The ink is very cheap. The DIY result is not for everyone but it works for me.

If I was trying to impress with a frame I would expect to pay around £60 as a minimum and would probably pay more... but this would be to sell or market work in a top London Gallery etc....:laugh:

I have quite a few pictures on the wall and I simply couldn't afford £60 a pop for a great frame...hence just finding a straight black frame with a good thickness and good border. They look fine...not cheap... which was important.

Pete.

7. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +655
    P.S You've posted some terrific pics in the past.... have another look!!:thumbsup:

8. =adrian=

=adrian=
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,371
    I print my pictures (for me) very rarely. In fact in many years of playing with camera, I only printed one (yes, one) picture for me (the portrait of my son that hangs on the livingroom wall). I print more for others, but not for me.

The frame and framing was £40 IIRC.

Thank you Pete. In my eyes there is always something wrong with them. I am yet to take that one picture that I would like to make a large canvass of. My missus thinks that I'm being over-critical when it comes to my photos, but I know it would annoy me if I hang something not-perfect and look at it everyday.

9. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +655
    In my eyes I am like a fisherman as I too am always chasing 'the one that got away' or in the case of a photographer, the 'perfect picture'.

That's the drive that motivates many of us... that chance encounter...the bit of extra luck and timing that produces the picture for others admire and wonder upon.

You have to start with the best you have and appreciate it as others do (not with your critical/personal point of view). Then once it or they are on the wall the challenge is to better them and in the meantime you have work that's hanging for you to appreciate and to act as a standard or bar from which to work from.

I am very critical of what I do too... but I was in Waterstones this week and looked at some photography books .... In the end I came to the conclusion that those togs do or did not have any extra magic that differentiated them from what many people could produce. But through excellent marketing and no doubt hard work they made it to a perceived 'elite' status....

Keep going and hang some prints!!:thumbsup:

10. =adrian=

=adrian=
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,371
    I once had a photo-blog called 'Perfect Picture Hunter' or something along the lines :)

I might post a poll here on AVF with my candidates for a canvas to see what others make out of them :)

Thanks for the encouragement though :smashin:

11. mucca_D

mucca_D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    +1 Do it!

Also try 'The Range' for frames, oh and home bargins / B&M / Biology :)

12. mucca_D

mucca_D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    So so very true

13. Johnmcl7

Johnmcl7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,533
    I actually have the opposite problem, despite being a very 'digital' person I enjoy seeing my photos in print not because I think they're exceptional photos just because I think they look better printed than on a screen. Every year I try to pick out my favourite shots and print out 300-400 7x5's for albums when I see a good deal on that size although I've not done so since I changed from the Olympus 4/3 cameras to a mix of m4/3 and Nikon FX as the 7x5 was a good fit for 4:3 but now I'm less consistent with aspect ratios.

I tend to print out posters whenever I see a good deal so I've got quite a few now including a recent mosaic print which is amazing (10,000 pictures all of one subject to make up one large picture of the same subject) which I need to get mounted.

It's interesting to see people talking about looking for the ultimate picture and being happy with nothing less as I was having a discussion along those lines this morning when looking at a large printout of a 125 photo collage that is mounted at work. It's a random set of photos taken during a charity challenge (the goal was 125 of something so I cycled 125km, walked 125,000 steps and took 125 photos), it was never meant for public display but through an odd series of steps it ended up that way. I'd mentioned that it was far from my best work but the person replied that what matters is the story the photos tell as people could recognise the sites from around work and the local area. Which I think is true for me at least, I generally take photos to remember rather than because I'm creative or trying to get a great shot. It amuses me that when i was visiting a friend and along with their parents they were looking through wedding photos, it wasn't the beautiful professional pictures (their wedding photographer was extremely good) but they were looking through the pictures guests had taken and enjoying them because they brought back all the memories of the day.

So I wouldn't worry too much if the picture isn't technically perfect, as long as it means something to you and looks not bad I think it will look great on the wall particularly as you can always change it later. I do also like my digital photo frame, if I had a decent sized room I'd love to get a very slim TV get it running a slideshow and mount it as a picture frame which I've seen done before.

John

14. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +655
    Interesting perspective John.

The idea of why people are keen on photography isn't something I'd have thought varied too much... but perhaps it does. For me trying to better myself or just get a good photograph is my incentive. I must enjoy it as I've kept at it for years now (admittedly on and off).

The hype and drive for better gear and better post processing seems aimed at those like me who are almost in both a personal and universal competition to do better. But printing work rather than leaving it on the hard drive is certainly very rewarding.

Pete.:)

15. =adrian=

=adrian=
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,371
    Don't get me wrong, I love to see my photos printed large. It just transforms them from being digital files to being a proper photos and it is still a magical process for me.

The problem with me though, is that I am still learning and I don't think I'm even close to the photography skills I'd like to have. And while I could print the photos I have at the moment and hang them on the wall, they won't give me the wow factor I'd like to see on a photographer's wall.

I'm still in search for my perfect photo :)

16. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,895
    technofan, have you ever come across decent a3+ frames?

17. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +655
    No I haven't.... I don't worry too much about frame size/ratios. I always think a picture needs a meaty card border and then I have my own white border around the print and put a title at the bottom of the picture. In the end you get a much smaller picture from a possible A3+ size... but it looks great and that's really important to me.

One day I will spend some money on an expensive frame and border... that'll probably open an expensive can of worms:eek:

The only other way to get the size you wish is to order online to specific dimensions or at a framing shop.. probably quite costly again and I would guess at around £40 plus??

Pete:)

18. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +655
    Soooooo

Did anyone hang a lovely new picture yet....times a wastin'....:rolleyes::p

19. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,895
    I changed 5 pictures out of existing frames (A4'ish in size), the activity was inspired by this thread :)

20. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,895
    Thanks...yes I know what you mean, I just hate borders...I had some frameless cut to size but the quality was pathetic, and then they put these plastic corners on it which didn't show in their pictures....I think I will just go and get my trusted 3M Mount spray can out again, and get it directly on board without frames...

21. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +655
    I still think you are bashing yourself...:p You are more than capable... look at it this way. If I gave you the latest DSLR with the very best lenses (£1000s worth) you would get great metering, pin sharp focus and almost never miss the shot. Have you suddenly become an expert? No, the gear is doing the work. What you can't teach is your own ideas of what makes a good shot. The scene/composition and timing to 'catch' the emotion or atmosphere. That is personal and builds with experience. Most shots are just snaps...but if you catch something that draws you and are good with processing you can make an image that really 'pops' and draws you in.:smashin:

95% of my stuff hits the recycle bin and 5% I try work with. Very occasionally I get a good photo and that's what drives me. If you can visit a great location you will surprise yourself with what you can do...

i.e. an early morning in the Lake District with a shallow fog above a still lake and morning rays between between the hills... a zoo with a tiger staring you in the eye or a raptor centre (not dinosaurs). A festival or parade. And the list goes on.

Just keep snapping and get used to not getting anything and NOT being disappointed about it. Just shrug off the 'nothing to show' days.... I have LOTS of those:laugh:

22. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +655
    Now 'That's what I'm talkin' about...'

:arty::arty::arty:

23. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,895
    Lol :)

24. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,456
    ....well I took my winning print from the Monthly Compo. a couple of months ago out of its envelope and had a look at it - does that count ? :rolleyes:

25. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +655
    no.

26. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,456
    .....Oooh - bit harsh IMO - - it's a start [​IMG] - you need to work on your motivational technique Pete - you're not a teacher by any chance ? :devil:

27. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +655
    I'm sayin' nowt.:lesson: