1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another take on LCD vs DLP

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by RichardA, May 16, 2003.

1. RichardA

RichardA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The tests were done a while ago now. You can find the white paper on the test and how is was conducted on the TI website.

I don't ever want to use a Sim6 ever again!!!! They were pants when they first came out and are still pants now!! Plus matching anything up to 12 channels for colour is virtually impossible without effecting dynamic range. Long live the DLP (thank you Larry Hornbeck)

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Texas Instruments producing a report which criticises LCD by comparison with DLP ??? Shock ! Horror!

Sean G.

4. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Next DTS will be producing a report to say that DTS is better than DD...

5. Paul O Hale

Paul O Hale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No surprises , the blue lcd assembly bears the brunt of the light input in most Xprism engines designed since the late nineties.
    However the 24/7 operation and the relation to the number of failures bears closer scrutiny.
    I have seen numerous units with thousands of hours on them
    and the the majority of panel failures were with the projectors that either ran 24\7 or operated in smokey and\or dusty enviroments.
    Those that had home cinema type placement or regular down times with attention to filters very rarely showed any panel failure or display problems over the years even with thousands of hours on their clocks!.
    I would also say that there are some newer engines available with slightly different optical layouts that may reduce the problem

To those LCD owners that may be worried.....KEEP YOUR FILTERS CLEAN!....this more than anything will prolong your projectors life.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    Yes, my guess is that this is primariluy a heat buildup problem, caused by the continuous nature of the use, plus, probably, little attention to filters and so on.

My LCD RPTV (now sold to a relative) continues to give reasonable (as good as it ever was) colour rendition after 6 years 'normal' use.

7. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70