1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Sweetspot problem!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by DaveP, Apr 5, 2005.

1. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This time I'm having trouble with the Scart cable.

The PC is about 7m from the sky box. Up until today I had being using an RGB to component converter with great success. I've been wanting to use the RGB cable supplied with the card so today I bought a coupler to allow me to connect a 5m Ixos Scart cable to the special cable.

When I do this I get a picture that is scrolling to the right and moving very slowly downwards with the colours changing all the time, getting darker and darker until nearly black and then it gets brighter again and then darker again and so on. With an NTSC DVD playing I get digonal zig-zag lines. scrolling.

I couldn't move the sky box but I have a spare that I was able to connect up and using this with just the special cable I was able to get a stable picture. I then used the sky box as a coupler with the 5m cable from the proper box connected into the VCR scart and when put into stanby to achieve the passthough I get the same problem. I have also used a scart fully wired switch and get the same results.

It looks to me that I shall need to either move the sky box to the PC (not possible) or move the PC to the Sky box (also not possible) or get a 7m special cable.

As the last option seems to be the only workable solution can someone (David?) tell me the wiring of the scart to Sweetspot cable please, or suggest how I can use a longer scart as an extension lead?

Thanks for reading all this!

Dave

2. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems that removimg the lead that connects to s-video 1 has no effect so it looks to me that the sync signal isn't getting through the various couplers I've tried.

Where does this sync signal come from?

Dave

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    UPDATE:

I have had some time off work to try to get to the bottom of this problem.

It seems now to be related to the Quintro Scart switch box that I am using.

If I connect the extension scart directly to the sky box I get an excellent picture. If I connect the extension scart to the TV output of the Quintro I get the problems detailed previously.

So it seems to me that I am losing a signal somewhere along the line. If it is the sync signal carried by the s-video lead can I pick this up somewhere else and feed it to the Sweetspot?

David of plugged in, any comments?

Thanks

Dave

4. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi Dave,

The RGBs output on a SCART cable uses the composite picture out of the SCART connector as sync. On my Sky box this is litaraly the composite picture signal.

I was going to mention the jumper on the Sweetspot card that switches it between RGsB and RGBs ( that is RGB with sync on Green or RGB plus composite sync) but if it works without your switch box I guess that must be set correctly.

It sounds like your switch box is not passing the composite sync signal through.

Here is some info about SCART connectors it may help you to find a way to pass composite sync through your switch box.

Or you could pick up the composite output of the Sky "VCR" connector and feed it to the sweetspot Svideo input but this sounds like too much of a bodge.

P.S The special Sweetspot cable is just a SCART to RGB plus Composite Sync cable.

5. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. It does indeed seem to be related to the switch box for some reason. I'll investigate the option to use the VCR scart. It won't be too difficult to wire up but will prevent me using the other sky box and Tivo.

Thanks again for your input, much appreciated.

Dave

6. Archos27

Archos27
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For the first time I have connected a component source to my Sweetspot card. I usually use it from my RGB settopbox and it does the job excellent! But when I connect a component source the picture keeps rolling from left to right. I´ve tried different deinterlacing, PAL/NTSC in both player and Dscaler. I can see the picture and the colors are right, but it just won´t sync.

Anybody had this problem or has an idea what can be wrong?

7. Archos27

Archos27
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just came to think about the jumpersetting...

what a bad solution!! I really like the card but there should be a way to change sync without opening the computer!