1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another SVS Newbie :)

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Magnet & Steel, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Magnet & Steel

Magnet & Steel
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

finally got myself a PB10-ISD and im well impressed up to now. its not set up yet, i have bought an SPL too, but i have no idea what im doing so that can wait.

i just wanted to say that i have upgraded from an MS309, which has been an excellent sub (apart from the fuse blowing). ive listened to a few of the cd's that i have, that i know to be bassy, for example The prodigy - Fat Of The Land, and even with the svs on 'quarter to' the bass is low, fast and tight. its a bit unfair i think to compare it to the ms309, but in doing so (only with music so far), its fecking awesome!. the ms309 sounded tight and fast, but in this smallish room it sounded a little boxy. im not sure if thats the right word, but after a brief play with the PB10, there really is no contest.

build quality is excellent, everything looks really good quality. build wise, the only thing im not too keen on is the cloth material on the grille. it seems to be an odd shade of blackish purpley brown (if that makes sense?) and it really shows up fingerprints.

another thing is the price. i have been reading these forums for a while and in another thread i read that the PB10-ISD could be had for £360 including all the taxes and shipping etc. mine cost me just shy of £400 and i ordered when the dollar was at 1.95 against the pound so i dunno what happened there!. i know the shipping has gone up by $40 in the last month so maybe thats it?.

only other minor gripe was that i had to ring bax to get their arses in gear, 3 days after it arrived at the airport and no phone call, so i rang them and they were brilliant :) the sub arrived the next day as promised, but they did charge me £2.35 for paying by visa for the vat etc, which wasnt mentioned.

so overall, great service from svs, pretty good service from bax, solidly built sub and it rattled my room with the 17hz test tone from the mordaunt short setup cd!.

and did i mention it is much bigger than i anticipated? :rotfl: :rotfl:

a happy customer.

p.s. ill report back once i suss out how to do the SPL thing :)

traa

2. Bass-Oldie

Bass-Oldie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi M&S,

have fun with the new Sub.

One guy in Austria managed to brake the driver recently while testing the unit with level Soundtracks.
    So, use the PB10-ISD, but be a little carefull at its limits ;)

3. Magnet & Steel

Magnet & Steel
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

hi Bass-Oldie,

ive not pushed it hard to be honest. my room is quite small so only needs a small amount of volume on the sub (its on just under 1/4 volume at the moment) and the amp is set to -2db for the sub. with main amp listening levels no more than -25db (yamaha). i should be ok with these settings for now, until i set it up with the SPL shouldnt i?

thanks for the reply :thumbsup:

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I've been playing demo pieces on my PB-10 at reference levels and it hasn't missed a beat in the slightest. I wouldn't be concerned with breaking it unless you intend to play test tones continuously at sustained very high levels as that will see off most subwoofers.

5. Bass-Oldie

Bass-Oldie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    M&S,

with this setup, you are on the very safe side ;) No problem at all.

These Car-HiFi youngsters seem to push their Subs much harder...

6. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    The PB10-ISD is supposed to have limiting circuitry to protect it from over-enthusiastic levels. But it must be possible to break almost anything if you try hard enough.

We live in an imperfect world. :D

There was some discussion on the subject of safe test-tone length on another forum. It was considered (by the experts) that 30 seconds amounts to unnatural torture and might produce thermal compression at the very least. The sub driver probably won't break. But you might fry the voice coil.

Nimby

7. Magnet & Steel

Magnet & Steel
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers Ian J

i only tried the MS test disc out to quickly check it was all ok.

ive just been tinkering about with it and for the first time ever, i have fairly equal bass round the room (in stereo anyway). with the MS309, the bass was almost none existant the nearer to the sub you sat and then boomy at the other end of the room. im not sure how, but it seems ive found the ideal position!. i have a quick question though regarding the crossover on my amp (yam dspax750se). if i set it to 60hz, the sound is cleaner and not boomy but theres much less bass especially at lowish volumes. if i set it to 80hz with the same volume, the bass sounds about right at lower volumes, but a bit too much at anything over that. my main speakers are b&w dm603 s3 and i have bass setting on the amp set to output to both. if i change to just the sub, there doesnt appear to be much coming from it. so i guess my question is, is the 60hz crossover the correct one for my speakers, or is it just a case of using my own ears and if it sounds good that is correct?

thanks for any help :)

8. Magnet & Steel

Magnet & Steel
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bass-Oldie,

cheers, i do like to listen loud sometimes, but not very often, and definately not like the kids in the cars! blimey :)

Nimby,

thanks for the reply, interesting stuff cheers :)

9. Bass-Oldie

Bass-Oldie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    M&S,

you can do it the easy or the hard way ;)

Easy would be to listen and just decide what you like better.

The hard way would be to use soundfiles with testones, take SPL readings for each frequency and then draw these figures to see a graph.
    You do this for each speaker independently, and then match all grapghs to find the overlap. You could also just measure the front speakers and the Sub separately.
    With those graphs, you should be able to spot the best Crossover point and to predict boomy bass frequency areas (or any dents).

However, some trust more the figures, others only believes in their hearing experience. In the end, you have to like it :D

I used the following MP3 files (stepped frequency curves) for this exercise:

http://www.vpe-web.d...n/einstellungen.html

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There is never any right or wrong way as the amp, main speakers and most importantly the room itself play a big part.

I would tend to use the THX recommended 80Hz as a starting off point and move downwards from there. It may take a few days or even a couple of weeks until you have found the placement and settings that you like best of all and don't forget that the components in the sub will take a few days of use to loosen up and the sound quality will probably change when that process is finished.

11. Magnet & Steel

Magnet & Steel
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Bass-Oldie and Ian J. Great info cheers.

i have one more set of questions regarding the spl meter readings. is it a no no to calibrate using the 60 setting on the spl?. i ask this because at the normal listening levels i use, the 60 setting is the only one that registers any where near 0db on the spl meter. i set all the speakers using the 60 setting last night (was late) to 0db and the sub to 1-3db higher like it says in the svs manual. the only odd thing i noticed was that when reading the sub test tone, the meter needle wasnt steady, it was slowly rising and falling from 0-3db. is this correct or does that indicate a problem with the room? also previously i had used the auto setup which sounded fine, but after playing with the spl meter, i needed to raise the volume on the left speaker, both rear speakers by 3db and the centre by 2db. does this sound right, or could it be because i was using the 60 setting on the spl?

thanks again for the help. im getting there slowly but surely! :thumbsup:

12. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I allways setup with the lowest setting on the slp meter i find that when the house is quiet its loud enough.The PB10-ISD is my third sub and they all gave unsteady readings on the meter.I wouldn't worry too much about the levels ,if it sounds good to you it must be,the auto set up is probabally not that good anyway.

13. Magnet & Steel

Magnet & Steel
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers bob,

ive sussed the crossover thing out. the reason the bass was too much at 80hz crossover setting was that i had upped the bass setting by 2db on the main fronts. i just lowered it and voila, no boom now :)

i just stuck the star wars - a new hope disc in, and almost parted with a loose stool when the thx logo thing shattered. the sub is to my right of where im sat and the blast of air from the port got me in the leg and didnt half make me jump. flamin awesome! :rotfl:

no doubt ill find something else to tinker with, but for now, thanks to everyone for their help, much appreciated. :thumbsup: