1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Superbit Thread!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by swarrans, Dec 27, 2001.

1. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope Spectre et al won't be cross with me for posting another thread on Superbit DVDs (as he keeps saying, please search for "superbit" on the forums and FAQ for a description of what the technology is etc).
    If any of you are really Techno-trousers, you should take a look at this thread from another (US based) AV Forum.
    http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum30/HTML/000799.html
    The main guy Bjeorg Roy is a kinda God-like figure to some of them, but he does seem to have a somewhat (shall we politely say!) precise approach to reviewing the potential visual improvements of Superbit.
    As some people on these forums have said they can't tell the difference in visual quality, this string may be of interest for an alternative view (the ability of the hardware itself perhaps?).

Anyway, I'd like to try them myself - I just wish I lived in the US so I could get that 5 disk/title superbit package for $80 from Costco!!

Simon

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,475
  3. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx, yes I know superbit DVDs are fairly freely available (also at Play.com - cheaper but I know some people (not me) have had bad experiences with them).
    The Costco deal was (apparently) for 5 titles including 5th Element, Air Force One etc at about £10 each! RATS!

Simon

4. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I got my Superbit boxset from www.absound.ca/

You get Crouching Tiger, The 5th Element and Desperado (the best 3 in my opinion) all for about £38 delivered. Nice deal if you ask me.

5. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Tee, yes looks a great deal.
    What was your view of the picture/sound quality versus "normal" DVDs?

6. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I'm all in favour of the Superbit idea - extras only get watched once especially if it's a film I'm not too bothered about, so I'd rather the improved sound and picture.

I've only watched Air Force One so far (not in the boxset) and I thought the sound quality was UNREAL, check my review HERE. I've briefly looked at the picture quality of Crouching Tiger and Desperado and I have to say they are streets ahead of the standard releases - they look sensational. I'll be reviewing them early in Jan if you want to check them out then.

7. mysteriousjimmy

mysteriousjimmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    was just reading a post over at DVDtalk and it looks like the next 2 Superbit titles to be released on March 19th are.........

the Big Hit and Vertical Limit

8. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I don't know about The Big Hit but Vertical Limit is gonna sound amazing! I've seen the film and it is pretty sh*t to be honest but some of the explosions already rocked......