1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another subwoofer question...

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by jonnyv, Apr 10, 2002.

1. jonnyv

jonnyv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Just before i go out and buy a new subwoofer (maybe the paradigm pdr10) , I have a question..

What is the difference between subwoofers ?

Some being £150 and others £600 !!

I know the more expensive ones probably are able to produce lower Hz than cheaper ones...

But to compare my yamaha yst-sw90 with the paradigm pdr10....what are the differences here....And is it worth me buying the paradigm or should i keep the yamaha ?

cheers

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheap subs tend to produce boom, not bass that is tight and controlled. I had the Yamaha YSTW160 for a while but when i upgraded to the REL i could then tell the difference between a good bass and a boomy bass, the Yamaha did give good results some of the time, it does pay to go for a decent sub it makes all the difference. Try a demo only you will tell if it will be a worthy upgrade.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Not to mention that more expensive subs usually also have a bigger drive unit, essential for more and deeper bass as more air needs to be moved.
    More powerful amps also contribute to higher cost I would imagine.