1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

another sub placement question

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by chedmaster, May 12, 2005.

1. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    when i got my sub i just plugged it in and was away, where i thought it looked best.

Today i unplugged the main speakers and realised i heard much more bass in a corner rather than between speaker and stand.

I put it there and it sounds pretty much the same from my seating position, but the bass is so much stronger when i stand up, i wish it could sound like that when im sitting down?

Is there a simple solution (i tried phase switch) i just want to hear the bass as much as i feel it!

2. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    The way to find the best location for the sub is to put the sub where you sit and put something bassy on,then crawl around the floor till you get the bass your after ,put the sub in that location and you should get the same amount of bass.I tried it myself and it does work, allthough i couldn't put the sub there. :rolleyes:

3. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Ah i was trying that method but didnt put the sub where i listen, just where it was before. I just put spiderman 2 on though and cant be arsed now! Plus i only got 3m of cable, will try on saturday morning when the customers in the pub won't complain about Cameo - Word Up on repeat! (WHAT A SONG)

4. JBL 4645

JBL 4645
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did a test around two weeks ago placing the SPL meter on the floor and raising the meter up there is a whole lot of changes due to standing waves and room modes too, it not as if I’m saying my sub bass set-up is wrong, I mean I can play this game tell I’m blue in the face, she’s in the right place.

So you can place the sub bass of the floor if you what to as they do in some cinemas and this technique doe’s work so make something to support it and give it a try, note first of all the sound level at the listening position, by playing some sine wave tones for reference

Hear are some tones that you can use,

http://www.snapbug.ws/sinewaves/

Then if you all ready have a test disc or discs play them and not music as it will have random frequencies and this will not help too much.

Word of caution when playing these sine waves or sine wave play it at a lower fader level than usually, say around -30db and turn the fader up on the AVR noting the level on the SPL use the tone from 18Hz to 120Hz that’s what I have done and I have had no problems at all…

Good luck.

5. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    thanks thats very inmormative :clap: