another stuttering blu-ray thread

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by pdasterly, Jul 11, 2015.

1. pdasterly

pdasterly
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Im having trouble with stuttering blu-ray iso files, specifically 3D avc ones.
    My setup is netgear readynas rn104, linksys wrt1900ac and kdlinks A300 media player. All cat6 cabling. Spent the past week cleaning up my nas and running tests, the nas is more than fast enough to support streaming blu-ray, I have linksys se4008 switch. I moved ethernet connections to router to isolate issue, no bueno. Ive tried smb and nfs on media player and again no solution. Ive pretty much exhausted my technical expertise on the problem so i turned to the internet with no solution so far.
    Forgot to mention media player output goes to yamaha rx-v475 network receiver via hdmi then passed on to vizio m551d-a2 tv. I get minor stuttering, not scene specific and usually non-repeatable, on others the receiver stops decoding audio and the encoder flashes back and forth between usually dts to dolby II.
    I previously had wdtv live and ac ryan mini HD, both suffered from same problem but the kdlinks so far is much better but not perfect yet

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,543
    Welcome to the forum pdasterly :hiya:

As this has been an on-going issue I think we need to try and simplify your setup to try and narrow down what is causing the issue.

To start can you connect your NAS to router, router to media player with nothing else in the chain. Also connect the HDMI output directly to your display rather than via the AV.

Do you still get stutter?

If not then connect tings back into the chain one by one until the stutter starts again, you then know that last connected deice is what is causing the issue. Let us know what it is and we will see if there are any settings etc. that can be chance to prevent the stutter, or advise if you need to replace the device.

However if you still get the stutter with the basic setup then there could be issues with the settings on the NAS, router or media player (unlikely as it has been replaced, but still possible). Unfortunately I know nothing about your media player so advising different settings will not be easy, but we could stumble across something.

I would also suggest checking all your cables for any signs of damage, I've lost count of the times a cable has been the cause of issues when streaming.

Mark.

3. pdasterly

pdasterly
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    cables are new, i will try to disconnect everything except nas and media player, will report when done. the kdlinks a300 is supposed to be the best, their previous versions are highly touted

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,543
    I've just seen your thread on the Netgear ReadyNAS forum with a fair bit of advice, but still no joy.

Does the AV receiver, media player and your TV all support 24p & 23.976p?
    Often an AV receiver will do some video processing rather than simply passing through the video signal, so that could be doing frame rate conversion which would cause stutter. Plus the media player could also not handle the frame rates correctly, or be set to output a specific frame rate rather than adjust to the media it is playing.

Mark.

5. pdasterly

pdasterly
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yes tv is vizio m551d-a2, supports 24p, as does the media player. yamaha claims the hdmi is just a pass thru and does no video processing. I put iso on usb stick and playback is flawless.

From yamaha "Supports Deep Color (30/36 bit), x.v.Color, 24 Hz refresh rate and auto lip-sync compensation"

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  6. pdasterly

pdasterly
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i might have fixed problem, i reduced mtu and everything seems well, trying to make it stutter with different content but plays smooth.