1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another stupid question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by superaffordable, Feb 10, 2003.

1. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By now I must sound really ignorant (see other threads) so I cant look any worse :) so but here it comes:

Also, I am unsure where to post so I am posting everything in this forum

My hi-fi have three different settings (I think) which I believe I mean to set manually in order to get the best sound depending output
    -dolby digital
    -dolby prologic
    -stereo (this still have more sub-settings but its complicate enough this way so lets leave it here)

Now, all I see come from a cable box, ie, I dont buy dvd's etc.

The question is:

If b****ody cable only display the info about the sound of the movie that just broadcast at the very end of the movie, HOW IN THE WORLD can I figure out which one is this sound at the start of the movie and therefore put the settings accordingly for best performance??

Of course, I have tried listening in every possible mode to try to figure out which one is best but to be honest, they all makes little if not NO difference at all which makes me wonder if either I have a really crapy system or all this different settings are just ways to sell more stuff more expensive with no real advantage

Thanks very much and please bear with my little knowledge

Jesus
    ======================
    URL Link removed by codlord - not related to A/V and could be construed as advertising
    ======================

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Jesus,

Dolby Digital sound is held in the software as a digital signal. If you are using cable TV with stereo analogue outputs then I don't know howyou managed to hear anything with your amp on DolbyDigital setting. The safest setting to use is DolbyProLogic.

DolbyProLogic uses a STEREO signal to encoded centre and surround channel information in it. If there is surround info encoded in the broadcast you will get correct playback. If youare watching music video's on TV then I would suggest sticking it to stereo and if youare watching News channels then just leave it onProLogic (although you'll find it just comes from centre channel as News is usually mono)

Hope this helps a little.

Gordon

3. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it does help a bit Gordon. Thanks very much

"sorry having post that link. Was unintentioned"

4. dgj

dgj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whether you can hear Dolby Digital (DD) will depend on how many speakers you have.

You need five speakers plus a sub woofer for DD. A centre speaker which carries dialog/speech, two front speakers for sterio effects, two rear speakers for rear sound effects and the sub woofer for the bass or sound of explosions.

An amplifier is usefull as well.

Try one of the retailers where they have a demonstration set up, you might even find yourself buying a DVD player.

If you have (as I guess) a SKY+ Digital box, the listings should indicate when a film is DD, so you can find out before the film starts what sound option to chose.

5. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have all that already in the following form:

Separates Technicks sv whatever (there are not separates as they claim but rather another mini system) with 5 DVD/CD player, and all the other music stuff. Also, 5:1, subwoofer, dolby digital, dolby prologic, and a few array of stereo sounds as well.
    It claims to be 300 Watts

As for Sky, NO, I have Telewest Digital Cable box

The only time I am able to see what the films are beign broadcasted in is at the very end of the movie (kind of late) in the movie itself

But apparently, so I got told this morning in another thread, televest its not playing 5:1

Thanks

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Actually DD can be 2 channel as well...or more. The key is that you need to have a digital input on your amp/receiver/htib to get it in to processor to decode.

Gordon

7. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gordon

Thought, I am totally confused after this very post of yours.

What do you mean (surely your message is quite clear but not too me)

Let see:

My Technics Hi Fi plays DVD's in Dolby digital 5:1 no problems

Is cable box NOT one of those digital imputs that you say I would need??

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!! so sorry keep asking and asking, I am just trying to make some sense of all this

8. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi i got confused with all this a while back,
    i have cable and it has stereo out , if you plug this into a amp that has dolby pro logic 1 or 2 then the amp will turn it into something like dolby digital 5.1 but not as good,
    make sure you not getting confused between the dolby pro logic and dolby digital 5.1, its an easy mistake to make at the begining,
    to get true dolby digital like on dvds you need an digital connection like coaxial or optical

ps. i think some sky boxes and sky plus have a optical output but not all programs and films are broadcast in this way

hope this some help

9. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

Is a scart socket a digital connection?

And since we are at it?
    Do I have this connected right?

This is my situation:

Sound:
    - hi-fi technics with DVD incorporated, dolby pro-logic and dolby digital 5:1

Other sources:
    - Telewest cable box digital
    - Crapy nicam stereo video

TV
    - Plasma LG 42 with tunner box

I have the cable box from where any source of tv comes (as I dont have a terrestrial antena), connected to the video and the video connected to tv turner.

Then I have the hi-fi connected to the only scart left free in the televest box

Is this the right way to get everything to go right?

Thanks guys, I am solving many of my doubts with yours

Jesus

10. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,662
    Oi Superaffordable - will you PLEASE disable the autoresponder as everytime someone replies to your post, you are sent an email informing you of that fact to which I get an automatic reply.
    Also your email inbox is full.
    Please sort this ASAP.

11. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry about that

I have changed my email address so that no more autoresponder will be trigerred

I am trying to access my mailbox to clear it up but I cant find it. If you tell me how I will sort it

Thanks and sorry for any inconvenience

12. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To access your private messages, click on the "user cp" (User Control Panel) button at the top of the page.

13. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope everything is sorted now

Really, I never thought for a minute that this would have carried on this way. ie, I read here but I was having no intention to post regulary.
    Is only that one questions has conducted to another, etc

If I knew I was going to have posted a few I would have take more care of things

Once more, I do apologise

14. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,662
    It's not your PM (AV Forums private message) box which is full - it's your email account inbox. Which is why I wrote 'email inbox'.

15. superaffordable

superaffordable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ???

You worrying me now as this is my business email account.

Do you mean that you tried to sent me an email or something and you got a message saying that my imbox was full or something like it?

I am sending and receiving emails all the time with no problems whatsoever

Thanks