Another speakers vs soundbar question.....

b0redom

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm upgrading my TV and amp (the amp is likely to be a Denon x2300w). I currently have a pair of Q-Acoustic 1020i as left and rights, and a pretty rubbish Harmon Kardon centre (originally from a HKTS-7 setup).

I need to lose the speakers as part of the TV upgrade due to space, so I can either:

1) Turn the Q-Acoustics on their side and replace the centre with something similar (if I can find a single Q-Acoustic 1020i).
2) Turn the Q-Acoustics on their side and replace the centre with a 'proper' centre. Ideally it would have to be a similar height as the Mrs has mild OCD
3) Buy a passive soundbar such as the Monitor Audio SB-2

In any of the above cases I'm going to have to raise the TV up on something behind the speaker(s).

What's the opinion of the masses please?

The passive soundbar would appear to be the neater option and considering what you plan to do if keeping separate speakers then you will not be losing anything by going down that route. Bear in mind no speaker will sound its best either on or in a cabinet. Could you wall mount the TV and soundbar?

The passive soundbar would appear to be the neater option and considering what you plan to do if keeping separate speakers then you will not be losing anything by going down that route. Bear in mind no speaker will sound its best either on or in a cabinet. Could you wall mount the TV and soundbar?

Long term, possible, but not in the short term. :(

Not sure what you have planned is going to be an 'upgrade' - sounds more like 'New TV forces me to ruin sound system'.

Some pics would be helpful to show the problem.

Why the necessity to change the speaker setup?

Joe

Finally got around to a pic:

alcove.jpg

My current plan is to put get three centre speakers for example Q ACOUSTICS
3090Cs at the extreme left and right and centre of the unit, and rest the TV (probably a 55" OLED) on top of them. This would put the base of the new TV around 5cm above the current centre speaker.

Long term Mrs b0redom is talking about moving/scrapping the unit and having a built in set of shelves filling the entire alcove, but that's some way away.

Why not buy a passive sound bar? No more expensive than three centres? Also no speaker is going to sound great on a unit or in a shelf. Do not see the point of 3 speakers either with such little separation. A pair of speakers either side of tv will give the same sound.

As PSM1 says your current 'layout' is far from optimised :)

If you are going to change the furniture would it not make more sense to wait and see what furniture you are going with?

Centre speakers are designed for use in a horizontal orientation - turning them through 90' is not ideal.

As PSM1 says there is no requirement for a LCR layout when the Speakers are arrayed around the TV - a 2.0 or 2.1 Soundbar or Soundbase would work well.

Ensure you don't raise the TV too high or risk finding it is uncomfortable to view from your seated position.

With your current kit I'd ditch the Centre Speaker, move the Front L speaker over to the glass stand (raise it to match the height of the cabinet and orientate it correctly), slide the TV a bit left and pull the R speaker forward and again orientate it correctly.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom